TV or Movie characters who sense of style you liked

momofmeg

I just been thinking-I really enjoyed caviergals thread on the gal on the plane-and I also found Jane's survey interesting-so I have been thinking-have any of you seen any TV characters or movie characters who's sense of style you liked.

Remember the show a Different World from the early/mid ninties? I really liked that show alot and me at the time a 30 something white woman from the south. Why was it I liked this show so much about black college students?

I think it was because of Lisa Bonet, also from Cosby "Denise" and Jasmine Guy "Whitley".

Remember "Denise's" sense of style? Truly electic and I always felt no one but "Denise" could have pulled that off-anyone else would have looked like a "bag lady" dressing the way she did-but on her it worked.

Then "Whitley" was such a classic-you know Jackie Kennedy/Grace kelly type. Neither of those were your typical college student black or white I thought but I really enjoyed the characters. the gal on the plane with caviergal could have learned a thing ot two from "Denise" and "Whitley".

I always liked the "Freddie" character too although her dress as a sixties' hippie living in the 90's never quite worked to me. Marisa Tormei's character was cute but a little "babyish"- she seemed more like a high school then college girl- her character left only after a season or two- was it then that she got into movies? Jada Pickett was on that show too.

Another TV character I always liked was "Julia" from Designing Women. To me she was always "Whitley" if Whitley had been older and white-you know very similiar characters. I always admired her style but I always saw myself more as a cross between "Charlene" and "Mary Jo." I did like that show alot too-mainly because it portrayed southern women more accurately then any other show or movie had ever done.

Now you gals have to name some of your favorite characters with a great sense of style.

Oh my I love/d a lot, have a few min before I pack some more, and love this thread, great thread.

Ok, Knots Landing, Donna Mills played Abbie, loved the clothes. Dynasty, Joan Collins loved the clothes. All My Children, Susan Lucci, love her clothes.

Gilmore Girls, love the clothes on all of them for their ages. Sex and the City, some not all of the clothes, some of Sara Jessica I didn't like and some on Kim Cantrall, I found to "revealing" but I always like Charlottes (real name?) her style and clothing and it always suited her personality.

Sometimes I think I watch a lot of shows just for the clothes.

I too like the I Love Lucy 50's look, I love the clothes for that period and still do. There is one outfit that was like slim pants with a matching long skirt and top. Her clothing evening and day is very pretty.

Oh my I love/d a lot, have a few min before I pack some more, and love this thread, great thread.

Ok, Knots Landing, Donna Mills played Abbie, loved the clothes. Dynasty, Joan Collins loved the clothes. All My Children, Susan Lucci, love her clothes.

Gilmore Girls, love the clothes on all of them for their ages. Sex and the City, some not all of the clothes, some of Sara Jessica I didn't like and some on Kim Cantrall, I found to "revealing" but I always like Charlottes (real name?) her style and clothing and it always suited her personality.

Sometimes I think I watch a lot of shows just for the clothes.

I too like the I Love Lucy 50's look, I love the clothes for that period and still do. There is one outfit that was like slim pants with a matching long skirt and top. Her clothing evening and day is very pretty.

And don't forget Eva Gabor from Green Acres. I have always wanted a marabou stole and one of these days I am going to get one. So if you see a 50ish gal wearing one on a cruise on formal night-come on over and say hi as you can guess it will be me!

This is exactly the look I was thinking of when I said that. There was just something very elegant about it. I'd love to find a pattern so I could sew it, but I have a feeling I don't have the legs for it.

Just about anything from any 1950s-1960s Touch of Mink genre.

More modern day, Meg Ryan's casualness of Sleepless in Seattle, Harry Met Sally, You've Got Mail or any of her other preppy/casual looks from her movies.

Also, for Pretty Woman to be 15-16 years old, the costume designer did an excellent job of making those clothes look timeless.

On the flip side, for a great laugh, I've been obsessed with Miami Vice lately. I never saw it when it was popular the first time around but the hair and makeup is a scream.

I do really think Don Johnson looks great. Saw an interview with the costume designer and she said she would leave Don Johnson's tee shirts he wore under those Versace and Armani suits wadded up on a pile on the floor for authenticity.

Phillip Micheal Thomas looks like 1985 but for some reason, except for the white shoes and huraches, Don Johnson does not.

Or maybe it is that I have a little tiny crush on Don Johnson.

I LOVED Melanie Griffith in Working Girl with Harrison Ford! She made such a wonderful transition from flunky clerk with her gaudy jewelry and clothes, to a very well put together executive woman! She looked wonderful in the black cocktail dress that she wore to meet Harrison in the bar for the first time.

I also loved Julia Roberts clothes in Pretty Woman. (My fave scene is where she walks in to the store that wouldn't wait on her and tells the clerk what a BIG mistake she made!)

During the holiday season, I watched Holiday Inn and loved the clothes. I thought it so funny how the invitation to the inn read "Must Dress"...told my husband people today would consider that 'clothing optional!'

I also liked alot of the clothes that Rebecca Howell (Kirstie Alley) wore in Cheers. And always loved the show Designing Women...they all had such different styles, but always looked great!

Takeing a break, from packing

Yes, Meg Ryan in those movies, Pretty Woman (the after),

Landlocked, I loved that outfit, was one of my favorites that she wore.

Donna Reed show, I vaguely remember and I liked that look.

Don't Remember much about Doris Day, remember her but not her show, there are so many style of clothing, Sandra Bullok,

there was a TV show Lost In Space (not the movie). I was a young kid, but the "outfits" on the women were sort of 60's spacy and I liked them, lol

When I was growing up, I used to love the clothes from "Gone With the Wind" I really wished that I had been born in that era.

My all time favorites are Katherine Hepburn, Nora from the Thin Man series (wish I could live in their apt!). I recently loved the clothing Barbra Streisand wore in "Meet the Fockers", she looked a bit heavy, but I loved the way her clothes flowed on her.

I love the look of a twinset with pearls, as seen on many movies from the late 50's early 60's.

hands down, carrie bradshaw in sex and the city. she was very "cutting edge" with the clothes she wore and was not afraid to mix sexy and classic styles.

Carrie Bradshaw has my vote. So does Sarah Jessica Parker! I love to see what she will be wearing on the red carpet. If only I had that nice, little figure!

This may seem like an odd choice, but for an older [than me] lady, I think Marg Helgenberger from CSI looks FANTASTIC. Even when they have her dressed casually...think dark jeans, jacket, high heels and a gun...she looks great!

I also have to second the "Gone with the Wind"...I would have loved to be in the era of big poofy dresses w/hoop skirts, lovely hats, and men all dressed up too :)

. I recently loved the clothing Barbra Streisand wore in "Meet the Fockers", she looked a bit heavy, but I loved the way her clothes flowed on

OMG-- I think Barbra always looks terrible. She looks fat, like she's stuffed into her clothes. Sometimes they say she even designed the clothing she is wearing. Really a case of looking in the mirror because no one has the nerve to tell her she looks awful. (in my opinion, of course).:D

When I was growing up, I used to love the clothes from "Gone With the Wind" I really wished that I had been born in that era.

My all time favorites are Katherine Hepburn, Nora from the Thin Man series (wish I could live in their apt!). I recently loved the clothing Barbra Streisand wore in "Meet the Fockers", she looked a bit heavy, but I loved the way her clothes flowed on her.

I love the look of a twinset with pearls, as seen on many movies from the late 50's early 60's.

KS I actually wore a small hoop under my wedding gown. It was a tiered skirt on the gown like what we see all over the place-but the dress was more of a classic look nothing like Scarlett O"Hara. The hoop was not big enough. Back then I had a 23 inch waist-so not exactly a "Scarlett waist" but then I was not wearing anything to squeeze me in the way those girls did- you that was why they had to cary smelling salts and there were so many chaise lounges-back then they were known as "fainting couches".

But I looked very pretty in my wedding gown-sort of makes me sad to look at those pictures now. by the way my wedding gown actually zipped up but fake pearls were sown on it as though it was "buttoned" up with them.

You who can't stand pantihose would want to wear a hot, tight corset underneath layers of hot fabric in 100+ degree weather and no airconditioning! Yeah, right! LOL!!!

My all time favorites are Katherine Hepburn, Nora from the Thin Man series (wish I could live in their apt!).

Now ya' speakin' my language girlfriend! I like to rent the Thin Man movies and freeze frame on the apartment!!!

Jane

Ah, yes...Gone With the Wind...my VERY favorite movie of all time!! I have read the book dozens of times and probably seen the movie that many, too! Scarlet was dressed so beautifully and the Red Dress (Ashley's birthday party) is my favorite...Vivien Leigh was so beautiful!

I LOVED Melanie Griffith in Working Girl with Harrison Ford! She made such a wonderful transition from flunky clerk with her gaudy jewelry and clothes, to a very well put together executive woman! She looked wonderful in the black cocktail dress that she wore to meet Harrison in the bar for the first time.

Just watched that movie again. The character of Katherine Parker, played by Sigourney Weaver, told her the following, "Dress impeccably, they notice the woman. Dress shabbily, they notice the dress."

:D

I loved the black sparkly cocktail dress ($6,000) !!!

I always thought Pat Fields was on acid when she dressed SJP. The other three, yes, SJP's character was always out there for me with a few exceptions.

Have you ever been to Pat Fields store??? She's been on acid for the past 30 years!!! LOL!!!

Jane

Jane (and others) my "Gone" days were when I was much younger and would fantasize about wearing those gowns. The only time I've ever come close was in my wedding gown and yikes :eek: , no way could I do that every day. But, I read the book probably 5 times in my teen years, have seen the movie way more times than that.

Besides the dresses, there would be no way I could keep myself as proper as those ladies (I have to scratch an itch, although I try to be discreet, if it's a private part, I'll retire to the ladies room!).

It's interesting to read so many women say SJC, as her clothes were so quirky on SITC. Even she has stated she would not wear many of the things in Carries wardrobe. While I liked many of the pieces, I did not always care for the way they were paired. Many of the clothes on the show were absolutely beautiful, though, I think I liked Samanthas wardrobe the best. I didn't say I would were it, just admire from afar.

I admit it...I have never seen SITC!

I did always love Dixie Carter's style on Designing Women...and her sassy attitude.

Karen on Will & Grace was the only reason I watched!

Katherine Hepburn: The Thin Man and Philadelphia Story.

Audrey Hepburn: Breakfast at Tiffany's, Roman Holiday and Funny Face.

Veronica Lake...I think it was The Blue Dahlia where she wore those great gowns...but I simply can't remember!

The only TV shows I watch now are CSI, House, Boston Legal..etc and they aren't known for their great costuming :rolleyes:

~e

Jane (and others) my "Gone" days were when I was much younger and would fantasize about wearing those gowns. The only time I've ever come close was in my wedding gown and yikes :eek: , no way could I do that every day. But, I read the book probably 5 times in my teen years, have seen the movie way more times than that.

Besides the dresses, there would be no way I could keep myself as proper as those ladies (I have to scratch an itch, although I try to be discreet, if it's a private part, I'll retire to the ladies room!).

Loved the gowns...not sure I could handle the corset! Do you dare to inhale?!?

~e

Ah, yes...Gone With the Wind...my VERY favorite movie of all time!! I have read the book dozens of times and probably seen the movie that many, too! Scarlet was dressed so beautifully and the Red Dress (Ashley's birthday party) is my favorite...Vivien Leigh was so beautiful!

Yes but as Jane said-those "fashions" were miserable. who wants to be squeezed in so much that they faint and also have to wear that huge hoop contraption-those women had slaves to help them dress and do thier housework-no way they could do ANYTHING but sit around sipping on mint julips-so although they may look "pretty" I am thankful those fashions are over with.

Archived