TV or Movie characters who sense of style you liked

momofmeg

Ah, yes...Gone With the Wind...my VERY favorite movie of all time!! I have read the book dozens of times and probably seen the movie that many, too! Scarlet was dressed so beautifully and the Red Dress (Ashley's birthday party) is my favorite...Vivien Leigh was so beautiful!

Have you ever seen A Streetcar Named Desire? In it Viven Leigh played a faded "southern belle" as in a woman tuning 40 who still thought she was 25-I enjoyed that movie much more then Gone With the Wind-it had some depressing aspects but it was more "real life ".

Viven Leigh was a very beautiful woman.

Have you ever been to Pat Fields store??? She's been on acid for the past 30 years!!! LOL!!!

Jane

Thankfully I'm not the only one who has been thinking like that. I watched that show, I saw every episode, and I never understood SJP wardrobe. The others yes, but SJP, I didn't care for 99% of her stuff. My favorite was Charlotte followed by Samanatha's.

Thankfully I'm not the only one who has been thinking like that. I watched that show, I saw every episode, and I never understood SJP wardrobe. The others yes, but SJP, I didn't care for 99% of her stuff. My favorite was Charlotte followed by Samanatha's.

Me, too. I would occasionally like something SJP wore as Carrie, but most of the time I thought her clothing odd and sometimes inappropriate. Exposed underwear is not my taste.

I liked Samantha's style, except when she was really extreme and thought Charlotte had a very ladylike style.

Have you ever been to Pat Fields store??? She's been on acid for the past 30 years!!! LOL!!!

Jane

LOL! No, I haven't been to her store but I did buy one of her silver handbags (Patricia Fields and Candies) at Century 21 last February because a) it was cheap and b) it was the only silver bag I could find at the time.

Okay, I'll admit this but NO TEASING!

I wore a hoop skirted gown to my senior prom in 1983. It was off the shoulder, lavender and white lace, and I thought I was Scarlett O'Hara.

LOL! No, I haven't been to her store but I did buy one of her silver handbags (Patricia Fields and Candies) at Century 21 last February because a) it was cheap and b) it was the only silver bag I could find at the time.

I wore a hoop skirted gown to my senior prom in 1983. It was off the shoulder, lavender and white lace, and I thought I was Scarlett O'Hara.

I got married in 1983 and wore a hoop under my gown. I guess that year hoops were "In".

I just been thinking-I really enjoyed caviergals thread on the gal on the plane-and I also found Jane's survey interesting-so I have been thinking-have any of you seen any TV characters or movie characters who's sense of style you liked.

Now you gals have to name some of your favorite characters with a great sense of style.

Pretty much anyone who was in any movie in the 1930's or 1940's Since then it has been pretty much down hill.

Growing up I thought Elizabeth Montgomery as Samantha Stevens was beautiful. and loved that show

My first cruise last fall , I sorta looked for a formal dress but didnt need one and found a 300.00 dress for 22.99 at Ross. It is a black beaded tank top to the floor dress, I put it on and it was a "Smantha" dress , all I need is a heart necklace.

I love the clean early 60's lines of Mary tyler Moore, Audry Hepburn etc.

Oh, that's rich. But okay, since you said No Teasing....I'll not say anything! But I do have some thoughts..... :p

Jane

While I love the look of the 60s, I cannot dress my body like Audrey Hepburn. I have more a Sophia Lauren body, so I try to find style mavens in that vein. Katharine Hepburn is one of my all time favorites--but again, some outfits I can get away with, others--because she had such a slim, no hips or breasts body--look AWFUL on me. I've always loved old movies and have bemoaned the fact I can't wear so many of the styles....The dresses of the 50s are better--but ugh, when did the heroines lose their sass??!! Give me Myrna Loy over Doris Day anyday....

Count me in as someone who NEVER got Carrie's "style" on SATC. (it is Sex AND the City, not IN the city--I have all the dvds:p ) I too prefer a "preppy" Charlotte....

Hmmmmm, this is a tough one.

The only character I remember imitating while growing up was "I Dream Of Jeannie." I had long blonde hair. I took a small round Easter basket, broke the handle and cut a hole in it. I pulled my hair through the hole. I put a t-shirt on and pulled the front over the head and pinned the extra material over the chest. I never could find the pants. Even so, I walked around the house making my brothers disappear.

In real life, my mother was the best. She dressed like Jackie O but looked like Marilyn Monroe.

Hollywood celebrity today would be Halle Barry

Coka

If you think about it-it seems all ofus pretty much like the same thing-you know timeless elegance. We also seem to like some who really had a sense of their own style-though we may realize it would not work for us personally-but timeless elegance looks good on everyone-no matter your age, weight, height.

Several had mentioned Gone with the Wind and liking those styles-but in reality none of us would enjoy wearing them. One thing I thought of as I do kind've go for the old fashioned stuff-have any of you seen any of the versions of Pride and Prejudice (except for that 1940 one since they were not dress in the proper Jane Austen period costumes)- or Emma, or any of the Jane Austen book movies?

I like that stuff-not that it would look good on me-but I loved those little jackets they all wore.

Another old time period show I liked was Anne of Green Gables-remember when Anne wanted "puff sleeves"? I guess that was late victorian or early edwardian-but I did love the clothing style.

Back about 25-30 years ago-the Gunne Sax by Jessica Mc clintock were in and I loved all those-I owned several Gunne Sax. You still see Jessica Mc Clintock designs in the store-though no Gunne Sax I guess those are a relic of the past-vintage 1980 now- but her stuff always has a little old fashioned or classic look to it still-her son Scott Mc clintock's stuff is similiar. Now I no longer wear their designs-I am a little too mature for them now-but I still love to see young women in them.

Jane

I've been considering myself "fashion challenged" since the "Carrie's Fashion Hoopla" that ensued when Sex in the City was the hot watercooler talk. I just never got it and tried to like her stuff but I found it mismatched and bizarre. IMO it's only one step above the Olsen twin's "dumpster chic" look.

Victoria Principal as Pam on "Dallas". To me, she was the epitome of elegance. Beautiful tailored clothes. I wish we could find clothes like that now.

You can. There's plenty of elegant, gorgeous tailored clothing in the stores.

Jane

I've been considering myself "fashion challenged" since the "Carrie's Fashion Hoopla" that ensued when Sex in the City was the hot watercooler talk. I just never got it and tried to like her stuff but I found it mismatched and bizarre. IMO it's only one step above the Olsen twin's "dumpster chic" look.

Well, yeah, that describes Pat Fields very well. :)

You can. There's plenty of elegant, gorgeous tailored clothing in the stores.

Jane

Not in my opinion. Stores are geared to the younger crowd and most of the clothing is one step above grunge. Not my taste at all. There are a few, Talbots for one that does have nice clothes, but check out Nordstrom, Dillards, and Macys.

Not in my opinion. Stores are geared to the younger crowd and most of the clothing is one step above grunge. Not my taste at all. There are a few, Talbots for one that does have nice clothes, but check out Nordstrom, Dillards, and Macys.

I'm not a Dillards or Macy's fan and Nordstrom is sort of hit or miss for me.

But check out www.Saks.com and look for clothes by Teri Jon, Michael Kors, Escada, St. John and Armani. Max Mara is also lovely and tailored though not on the website, though carried in the actual stores.

Lord and Taylor carry's alot of Ellen Tracy. (Bloomingdales, Macy's and Sak's does too) Though it's not in the designer league of what Victoria Principal wore and what you're seeking, it's still very nice quality, certainly tailored and not geared for the young and grungy set.

Jane

I loved the way Marlo Thomas dressed in "That Girl" . . . everything matched from the dress to the coat to the hat to the shoes and purse. I really miss those days of being able to buy an entire outfit without having to be a fashion designer. Now days . . . I can never figure out what goes with what. Thank goodness I wear nothing but suits to work . . . all I have to worry about is getting some cute tops for under the jacket. I just don't like the mix and match styles we've had for the past twenty years. I'm not a very good mixer or matcher for my casual attire . . . :confused:

That's what I'm talking about. I've got jackets, pants and skirts for work that are mix & match and can look as dressy or as casual as I need to look, but some classy casuals for parties or even on the cruise, they're impossible to find. I see really cute petite clothes but I'm 5'7 and can't wear a petite. It seems they've forgotten us baby boomers. Liz Claiborne used to be one of my favorites but she sold to a mass merchandiser and the clothes look like it. I dont' want to pay $60 for a pair of jeans that look just like the ones you get at Wal-Mart for $10. You know what I mean? The same for Polo. If I was 20 I might want to wear those low riders that show my crack but being over 40, it just doesn't work. I'm not a big person, either. I wear a 4 or 6 depending on the cut, but I still don't want my pants showing my rear end.

That's what I'm talking about. I've got jackets, pants and skirts for work that are mix & match and can look as dressy or as casual as I need to look, but some classy casuals for parties or even on the cruise, they're impossible to find. I see really cute petite clothes but I'm 5'7 and can't wear a petite. It seems they've forgotten us baby boomers. Liz Claiborne used to be one of my favorites but she sold to a mass merchandiser and the clothes look like it. I dont' want to pay $60 for a pair of jeans that look just like the ones you get at Wal-Mart for $10. You know what I mean? The same for Polo. If I was 20 I might want to wear those low riders that show my crack but being over 40, it just doesn't work. I'm not a big person, either. I wear a 4 or 6 depending on the cut, but I still don't want my pants showing my rear end.

I actually like the Liz Clairborne jeans and have several pair-but I guess you can't really call a $40 pair of jeans designer jeans. I like the Liz ones because they are lower waist but not to the hip hugger length/thong showing the young girls wear-but enough drop waist that I can take a smaller size in them. I have a thick middle and in the higher waist jeans I take a larger size and then after I have worn them awhile-no matter how much lycra- they become baggy in the butt.

So I actually have 4 pair of Liz Clairborne jeans and capris. But like I said-I do not consider them expensive designer jeans-to me they are more in the catagory of Lee's and Levi's. They make great everyday pants.

To me it sounds as though you dress very nicely. It is smart to buy separates that stay in style year in and year out in good qaulity. I do that too. Anything that is more trendy or fadish though that I figure in 2 years max I would not be caught dead in-I will not spend much money on that stuff.

I actually like the Liz Clairborne jeans and have several pair-but I guess you can't really call a $40 pair of jeans designer jeans. I like the Liz ones because they are lower waist but not to the hip hugger length/thong showing the young girls wear-but enough drop waist that I can take a smaller size in them. I have a thick middle and in the higher waist jeans I take a larger size and then after I have worn them awhile-no matter how much lycra- they become baggy in the butt.

So I actually have 4 pair of Liz Clairborne jeans and capris. But like I said-I do not consider them expensive designer jeans-to me they are more in the catagory of Lee's and Levi's. They make great everyday pants.

To me it sounds as though you dress very nicely. It is smart to buy separates that stay in style year in and year out in good qaulity. I do that too. Anything that is more trendy or fadish though that I figure in 2 years max I would not be caught dead in-I will not spend much money on that stuff.

Lordie I did it again. Let me correct myself-actually it is Gloria Vanderbuilt and not Liz clairborne I meant. Me and my poor post menopause brain! I do have a couple of pair of Liz clairborne capri pants but I take a bigger size in them then the Gloria V. The Liz though do seem to have better lycra in them as I am not so prone to the "baggy butt" in them-that is why I like the Liz ones. But both are in the under $50 range so still in the Lee-Levi price range-not true designer.

Archived