On Board Phone service for cell phones

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Because some people are not tech savvy and accidentally leave their cell phones on after checking something on their phone (when it was previously in Airplane Mode).  Obviously, there are not as many posts as there are if there were not an issue with cell phones.  However, if you want to be right on this issue - go for it!

Not sure what the last sentence means or why it is posted, but somehow I have the feeling you weren't happy with my post? Care to explain?  Either I was correct or I was incorrect!

If travelers want to use their iPhones for any thing that requires data transmission, e.g., email,, they need internet access. To avoid cell carrier charges, they can check to be sure they have internet access via wifi rather than via cellular coverage.  I do not assume that Regent guests can't understand this concept. 

2 hours ago, CruisetheCs said:

If you want to update anything on the phone, e.g., email, web pages of any sort, such as news pages, or even read CC, you need some kind of internet connection.  If you put the phone in airplane mode, you can't update anything.  

If you have only wifi access turned on and cell access turned off, how can anyone incur cell charges?

If you turn on WiFi after putting the phone in airplane mode, updates will continue to occur, whether manually or automatically, at least that's true for my Android phone.

As someone who is familiar with Microsoft and Apple computers, I admittedly am challenged with phones (likely because I do not like talking on the phone and I definitely am not the person that stares at their phone while walking down the street, during meals, etc.).   

One thing I have learned from spending hours in the computer rooms on Regent is that many, many passengers are more clueless than I am.  That isn’t a put-down as I consider myself clueless with some technology but am fully capable of setting up my iPad and laptop on Regent without help.  

In terms of getting phone charges that were not expected, I have failed to turn off “data” on my phone more than once and had a higher bill than expected (but not as high as it would be if I made a mistake with it on Regent).  

11 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Check that your Wi-Fi Calling function will operate outside your home country.

Many European providers only offer Wi-Fi Calling within the country where you reside i.e. no roaming for that function 🙁

Thanks Flossie - I will ask Sunrise.