On Board Phone service for cell phones

I would be grateful to know how the onboard phone service for cell phones is billed ??   Does this show a US origin on the bill or does it get billed depending on where you are - Mexico/Costa Rica etc?   I ask because I can get a roaming package to cover the USA but not to cover all the other countries we will visit on the 14 March Splendour cruise.  My cell phone is Swiss if that makes a difference  ??

Thanks!

The on-board cell service isn't location dependent.  It's always billed the same through the satellite provider.  Where that "location" is, I don't recall.  For our US cell phones, the cost is the same per minute $3-ish (as far as I recall) regardless of where you are in the world.  I don't think I've ever seen an option for it to be on a roaming plan, but it might be different for European plans.  Also, as far as I recall, the at-sea service is disabled when you are in port so you'll be picked up by the local cell provider.

BTW, one of the best perks of higher Seven Seas Society status (kicks in at Gold) is hours of ship-to-shore (in-cabin) phone service which is more solid in our experience than cell service.  The ship-to-shore service is otherwise $15/min.

Finally, while internet service on ships, being satellite-based, isn't great, it has always been sufficient for a Skype voice call (definitely not video or FaceTime).  Voice only is quite low band-width.

Edited by Portolan

We are Gold with Regent so I know about the free phone time.  BUT in order to access my bank account (pay bills, check on transfers etc) I have to use my iPhone.  (Switzerland has VERY complicated security for on-line banking)  IF the on board phone service that one accesses from a mobile is billed in the US I think I am covered by our roaming plan.   If not - I have to pay "through the nose" for a few minutes of phone time to get into our account - which happens on internet.  I think I had better speak with my banker...   Though my phone does work on WiFi calling so perhaps it will be OK.

In the U.S., our carrier (AT&T) offers international plans which allow us to use our phones in any foreign country we would care to visit. Of course the plans and the options vary. This charges are billed through AT&T and there is no mention of the foreign carrier. But, this does not cover us while we are on the ship. I once made that mistake as the Cellular At Sea Charges were outrageous. Fortunately AT&T took pity on me as their instructions were not very clear at the time.

So my point is perhaps you could do what you need to do while onshore but ultimately your bank will have to clarify for you.

That is kind, Jackie!!   But I have 3 hours of free phone time too - which I probably won't use.  The issue is the use of my own cell phone to transmit instructions to "unlock" my ebanking.  I have to scan a QR code with the cell phone, then enter a code on the cell phone and then the phone unlocks the ebanking account.  Then, and only then, can I make transactions.  I hadn't thought about internet phone service and here at home I can use that.  So I will log on to the internet on my cell phone when I get on board and then hopefully the minute or so I have to use to get into my account (unless the bank throws some additional security at me, which sometimes happens...) will go as internet time and for that I have no limit!

Thanks for the link Portolan.   I shall have to ask Sunrise if this is consider USA or not.  Certainly in any port aside from the USA I would be on local service so charged roaming fees.  (I can buy a package to cover all the USA and calls back to Switzerland for a month for around 40frs or about $44).   Looks to me as though I shall have to bring the alternate form of getting on to eBanking with me which involves a card (chip) and card reader and is not nearly as easy as scanning the QR code!

8 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

That is kind, Jackie!!   But I have 3 hours of free phone time too - which I probably won't use.  The issue is the use of my own cell phone to transmit instructions to "unlock" my ebanking.  I have to scan a QR code with the cell phone, then enter a code on the cell phone and then the phone unlocks the ebanking account.  Then, and only then, can I make transactions.  I hadn't thought about internet phone service and here at home I can use that.  So I will log on to the internet on my cell phone when I get on board and then hopefully the minute or so I have to use to get into my account (unless the bank throws some additional security at me, which sometimes happens...) will go as internet time and for that I have no limit!

Gerry, Cellular at Sea is an entity onto itself and is not affiliated with any other companies in the world so for sure your US roaming won't cover you as we here with US plans are not covered.

Only way you will be able to use your cell phone to your bank will be via the internet and hopefully the internet connection will be strong enough to work all of your banking unlock and activities.  Afraid your US roaming will only work for you as long as you are connected to US cell towers.  Have a wonderful time on your Panama Canal crossing

I think you and the others are right Dave.  So - next question!  Here at home my phone flips automatically from the Sunrise network to Sunrise via internet when needed.  How will I stop it going onto a local cell network if it has the chance?    I am not all that "tecnologically enabled" !!  And I don't want to pay 50frs in roaming charges to pay a 10frs bill!!   I suppose I could just use the old card and code method if I have to...  but the access via the iPhone is so fast and easy.

6 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

I think you and the others are right Dave.  So - next question!  Here at home my phone flips automatically from the Sunrise network to Sunrise via internet when needed.  How will I stop it going onto a local cell network if it has the chance?    I am not all that "tecnologically enabled" !!  And I don't want to pay 50frs in roaming charges to pay a 10frs bill!!   I suppose I could just use the old card and code method if I have to...  but the access via the iPhone is so fast and easy.

As I recall, there's a setting under Cellular - you set Cellular Data Off and that should prevent using anything other than WiFi for data - but I'd swing by my local cellular provider to ask them directly, just to be sure...

8 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

put the phone on airplane mode and connect to wifi. It will use that only

3 hours ago, Sharle said:

put the phone on airplane mode and connect to wifi. It will use that only

I'm pretty sure Airplane Mode shuts off WiFi as well, at least on an iPhone.

Edited by UUNetBill

When using wi-fi on either your computer/ipad/cellular phone and planning to access your financial data, make sure you have a STRONG firewall installed. This probably is not as important for Gerry because Switzerland is known for having very strict rules regarding the mobile access of financial accounts, the same does not hold true for other countries, including the US. My employment requires a very strong firewall and in some ports,  I can monitor the firewall and the pinging occasionally sounds like a symphony with the number of attempts to access the system. This was especially troublesome in Asia and the Baltics.

36 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

I believe that all smartphones shut off WiFi when you put them in Airplane Mode.  I keep my iPhone on Airplane Mode the whole time that we're on the ship.  

On 7/1/2019 at 9:07 PM, Hambagahle said:

Though my phone does work on WiFi calling so perhaps it will be OK.

Check that your Wi-Fi Calling function will operate outside your home country.

Many European providers only offer Wi-Fi Calling within the country where you reside i.e. no roaming for that function 🙁

1 hour ago, UUNetBill said:

On my Android, Airplane mode shuts of the phone, the data and the wifi, but I can then turn the wifi back on leaving the phone and data turned off.  This is my normal approach in roaming areas, although I sometime turn the phone part back on for texts and calls in emergencies.

Edited by 1985rz1

You can definitely turn the wifi back on after you choose airplane mode. I  have done this countless times and use wi fi calling in other countries and on the ship.  With my US plan I can call any other US number for free with wifi. and I can also use the wifi on the ship with my phone. Would work for doing banking. (I would also suggest a VPN for this)

9 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Check that your Wi-Fi Calling function will operate outside your home country.

Many European providers only offer Wi-Fi Calling within the country where you reside i.e. no roaming for that function 🙁

Interesting. Verizon in the US, allows WiFi calling from anywhere.  But it's cost effective only if you call phones in the US.  Otherwise you pay the international rate per minute, which can be larger than calling while roaming.

Edited by 1985rz1

3 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Sharle is correct; to be safe simply put the phone in airplane mode which will shut off connection to any phone company, daya, plus turn off wifi.  Then go in and turn wifi back on and you will only be communicating thru your wifi connection and no phone or data charges.

Leaving the phone strictly in airplane mode is a waste of time and battery usage.  Much easier and saves on charging and battery life to simply turn the phone off. 

2 hours ago, rallydave said:

Sharle is correct; to be safe simply put the phone in airplane mode which will shut off connection to any phone company, daya, plus turn off wifi.  Then go in and turn wifi back on and you will only be communicating thru your wifi connection and no phone or data charges.

Leaving the phone strictly in airplane mode is a waste of time and battery usage.  Much easier and saves on charging and battery life to simply turn the phone off. 

Strongly disagree that leaving the phone in airplane mode is a waste of time.  Perhaps you have not read the many, many, threads regarding cell phone charges (up to thousands of dollars) that have been charged to customers that do not know better (more people that you would think).  There are things that you can do in airplane mode that does not require you to connect to WiFi.

30 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Strongly disagree that leaving the phone in airplane mode is a waste of time.  Perhaps you have not read the many, many, threads regarding cell phone charges (up to thousands of dollars) that have been charged to customers that do not know better (more people that you would think).  There are things that you can do in airplane mode that does not require you to connect to WiFi.

If you want to update anything on the phone, e.g., email, web pages of any sort, such as news pages, or even read CC, you need some kind of internet connection.  If you put the phone in airplane mode, you can't update anything.  

If you have only wifi access turned on and cell access turned off, how can anyone incur cell charges?

4 minutes ago, CruisetheCs said:

If you want to update anything on the phone, e.g., email, web pages of any sort, such as news pages, or even read CC, you need some kind of internet connection.  If you put the phone in airplane mode, you can't update anything.  

If you have only wifi access turned on and cell access turned off, how can anyone incur cell charges?

Because some people are not tech savvy and accidentally leave their cell phones on after checking something on their phone (when it was previously in Airplane Mode).  Obviously, there are not as many posts as there are if there were not an issue with cell phones.  However, if you want to be right on this issue - go for it!