Waitlisted excursions?

Signdy

What has been your experience with shore excursions that are waitlisted? We are waitlisted for the Boat Safari of Porvoo Archipelago on our Baltic Cruise. When and how do we find out if space has become available for us? Do slots usually open up? Also, we booked an "extra" excursion on another day in case we don't get the Boat Safari. (Because we can't afford to do both!) But if we do get it, how do I cancel the back-up excursion? Thanks for sharing any experience you may have with this!

I have just looked at a waitlisted one .... when I tried  to look at it I was informed that I could put my name down for it and I would be told if and when space became available. Off the top of my head I seem to recollect saying any excursion cancellations had to be made a couple of days prior to the date .... however I stand to be corrected on that.

The only reason I was looking was to see if there was a message or similar saying ‘you are number 99 on the list’ .... and being that the tour was US$900 for two I wanted 

to know how many people were going to splash that sort of cash ... call me nosey 😀

Agree - it would be nice to see where your waitlisted excursion sits in the queue prior to boarding.   On our June 17 Vancouver-Vancouver trip the shore excursion desk (on the Muse it was Anita who assisted us) immediately let us know that our waitlist positions were #8 & #9 for an excursion that had 14 spots.  Knowing that, she highly recommended and we immediately booked another excursion that was 25% less cost and covered 90% of the same territory.   Not a single disappointing moment.

Most cruise lines allow excursion cancelations up to 24 hours in advance of the tour. That doesn't give you much time to find a new excursion if the tour doesn't open up. I suggest checking the cruise critic message board for your port to see if there are similar private tours available. Another good resource is Trip Advisor. You might even find a tour you like better!

Thanks, everyone. The waitlisted excursion is a guest-driven, 2-person "bat max boat" tour of the Porvoo archipelago. (It caught the eye of my young adult son!) I'd be just as happy to explore Helsinki on my own. But I'm trying to budget my shipboard credits, and it's hard to do not knowing if this excursion will come through. You're right...they should let us know where we are on the list. Guess I'll just have to wait until we board, and try to be first in line at the shore excursion desk!