For NY to London Cruise: Sheltered cabin ?

JohnoClark

We just spent 18 days in shelters balconies across the Atlantic.

You might use a sheltered balcony since it's, well, sheltered. We spent much less time on deck or on the balcony than we were expecting. I don't think you'd get much use of an obstructed balcony since the weather may not be cooperative.

We booked a 2020 crossing while onboard. Based on our experience I would have been happy just booking an ocean view room (the 4-5-6 forward OVs have relatively more interior space since none is given over to the balcony) but due to how pricing and OBC works out they basically paid us to take a sheltered balcony again.

The transatlantic crossing goes North and so balcony usage is hit and miss. The big advantage of the sheltered balcony is that it is more usable in inclement weather, so ideal on this crossing.  Even so, we hardly used our balcony and would be happy in an inside for this crossing and spend the money saved on upgrading the hotel in the USA 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohnoClark said:

We want a Balcony.  Debating Obstructed - is that a big issue?  Sheltered - is that worth the difference?

Advice please.

If you want a balcony, just take it! Personally I would not take the risk of partial view only in an obstructed cabin. For me, for others maybe not so much, the whole atmosphere of being near th sea, smell her and the wind cannot be replaced.

You'll be closer to the ocean in a sheltered balcony, obviously. You can look down to see the hull cutting through the water while from the others, on deck 8 and higher, the view of the deck 7 promenade makes the ocean appear further away.

I would chose a sheltered balcony every time now... 

I did my first TA in 8014, the first of the Obstructed View cabins, and it really was great... But, I did not use the balcony as much as I expected as it was quite windy, as you would expect on a crossing! 

The other two I have done, I was upgraded to a sheltered balcony, the other I booked, and I spent so much time out there, I was very surprised. Even when it was blowing a hoolie outside with some relatively high seas, I quite happily sat out there reading my book in the fresh air... Just the occasional waft of sea spray! 

I have booked my next TA, back to back, in a Sheltered Balcony, and can't wait! 

Big thumbs up for sheltered balcony... Deck 5 🙂

We’re looking forward to our third QM2 sailing - this time to the Caribbean, after T/A’s a few years ago.   A sheltered balcony does it for us - just a bit more than obstructed, but worth it for the view - I also like being closer to the water on Deck 4.  The big thing is being able to step out to feel, see and smell the sea.

If you are going on a cruise that has lots of ports of call, then a sheltered balcony might be worth paying extra for the view.   Realistically, on a TA crossing, there isn't much to see except whern leaving your embarkation port and entering your debarkation port.   For those, the top deck and the promenade deck are better places for watching (especially if your cabin is located on the port side and what you want to see is on starboard).   We've found that the Obstructed cabins appear to allow more daylight into the cabin than sheltered during the daytime.

Another plus for obstructed cabins on TA crossings is that their location is generally in the center of the ship (between the B & C elevators/lifts).  The QM2 is a very long ship and being near the center makes for shorter walks from your cabin to the Britannia dining room or the Royal Court Theater which are at the ends of the ship.      

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobBranst said:

If you are going on a cruise that has lots of ports of call, then a sheltered balcony might be worth paying extra for the view.   Realistically, on a TA crossing, there isn't much to see except whern leaving your embarkation port and entering your debarkation port.   For those, the top deck and the promenade deck are better places for watching (especially if your cabin is located on the port side and what you want to see is on starboard).   We've found that the Obstructed cabins appear to allow more daylight into the cabin than sheltered during the daytime.

Another plus for obstructed cabins on TA crossings is that their location is generally in the center of the ship (between the B & C elevators/lifts).  The QM2 is a very long ship and being near the center makes for shorter walks from your cabin to the Britannia dining room or the Royal Court Theater which are at the ends of the ship.      

I agree

Hey Ho,

After many crossings -it’s a sheltered balcony for me, far forward on 5 Deck-if I can get one. I’m close to the A Stairs for the Commodore Club, and the Internet facility on 2 Deck. I can step outside even in some heavy weather, I like to feel the motion of the ship-if there is any- and it’s quiet. On 6 Deck one can hear the tramping above, and on 4Deck one occasionally hears the Theatre or other ’stuff’. So it’s 5 Deck for me, eve if I can’t be as far forward as I might like.😀