Sony RX10 Mk IV?

Has anyone used it yet?  If so your feelings and thoughts would be appreciated.  A growing number of my professional friends in the NYC area are raving about, especially as we get older, retire etc.  I am looking for something lighter than my Canon 5D3 kit now that I am totally retired and just doing travel stuff and grandchildren.  I am particularly interested in how it feels in your hands and how it works with flash.  The $1700 price is a bit steep for a fixed lens camera but with that much zoom range it is intriguing to me.  

I have a Sony RX10 MK II, and love it for its versatility and image quality.  Below is a link to a side-by-side comparison of the two cameras.  Both of them share the same sensor, so image quality would be virtually the same.  The biggest difference is probably the range of the zoom lenses (200mm for the RX10 MKII vs. 600mm for the MKIV).   The other major difference is the $700 difference in price.  I don't need a 600mm lens, so for me the decision to purchase the MKII was an easy one.

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX10-II-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX10-IV

I had a Canon 40D, then the 70D as well as a small army of lenses (wide angle, nifty 50, "walkaround" lens, telephoto) and ended up selling it for a combination of the RX100 m4 and RX10 m3. After two years, I wasn't happy with the RX10. Depth of field was pretty non-existent and I didn't feel like the pictures "popped" as much as they did with the Canon.

I ended up selling the RX10 m3 (though kept the RX100 - good to have a small travel camera when I can't take something bigger) and getting the EOS R this spring and fell in love with taking photos again. I also don't feel like I need half a dozen lenses with the full frame. In fact, I went to Alaska and only took the 24-105 f/4L, 70-300 (non-L) and a wide angle 16-35 f/4L and was happy the entire time.

Just food for thought.

Thanks for the input.  The issue for me is the weight.  After nearly 50 years of doing photography for a living I am now fully retired and find myself starting to be lazy when I head out for a day and just taking the 5D3 and the 24-105 and leaving other glass behind.  As far as image quality I find the 5D3 to be a bit dull for my tastes but I am sure I could sit down and make some in camera adjustments or just continue doing a bit of color enhancement as part of my work flow when designing my travel books. 20 MP is more than enough for my needs today and shallow DF, I like it.

I think that once I get a bit more settled with the move to NV I need to head over the the local camera shop and see the Sony first hand.  Not sure how I feel about EVFs and then I wonder if there is a diopter adjustment on the EVF like Canon has on many of their DSLRs bodies.  

15 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

Not sure how I feel about EVFs and then I wonder if there is a diopter adjustment on the EVF like Canon has on many of their DSLRs bodies.  

The early EVFs on my DImage 7 and A2 were crude by today's standard but being able to preview exposure and true 100% coverage sold me on them early. Current EVFs are sharp, refresh with imperceptible lag and provide as much or as little info as you want. I never think about OVF vs. EVF anymore except when someone wants me to take a photo of them when I'm traveling and I have to look through a DSLR viewfinder. You won't be disappointed. 

And yes, there has been a diopter adjustment on every EVF camera I've owned.

Dave

Edited by pierces

• 1 month later...

Some follow up on my experience.....I got the RX10 MK4 from Sony a few hours before we left for a family adventure to Disneyland.  I did have the good sense to look online for some manuals and reviews while I was waiting for the camera to arrive from NY so I was a bit more familiar with it when I took it out of the box.  All in all, a nice camera and I loved being able to to go to "600MM".  The image quality for me was good but not outstanding until I got the images into PS 2019 and did a bit of work on them.  I found the ergonomics of the camera not to my liking. I was constantly having to stop and look for a switch to get where I wanted to be.  Maybe it was just too different from what I am use to after using Canon gear for about 30 years.  I just never got comfortable with it.  The metering was good, the AF had trouble locking on things like a crescent moon at night and fireworks. I found it pretty jumpy in low light.  The AWB was pretty far off when I was indoors in a slightly challenging situation.  I also found that "24mm" was just not wide enough for me to commit to the camera.  

My son's father in law was with us and he had the Sony A6300 and I tried that out for a bit and liked it a lot better.  The day I shipped the RX back to Sony I went to the local camera store and played with the 6300,6400 and 6500 and an assortment of lenses.  I went home with the A6400, the kit lens, a little 16 to 50 ad the 18-200 from Sony.  So far I really like the set up.  Not really sure if the kit lens was a waste of money or not but time will tell, Europe is coming in a few weeks.  All in all I just felt more comfortable with the A6400 and the pricing for what I bought was pretty much the same as the cost of the RX10MK4.  

So, anyone in the market for a very nice Canon BG-e11? or maybe a well used but nice 580EX II??  Maybe  anice 5D Mark 3 with a 16-35mm 2.8 if I find the 18-200 wide enough for me on the upcoming trip?  

1 hour ago, Mr. Click said:

I went home with the A6400, the kit lens, a little 16 to 50 ad the 18-200 from Sony.  So far I really like the set up. 

You might want to look at http://enthusiastphotoblog.com

Aaron has a review and setup suggestions for the A6400 and comments on lenses for the A6400.

Great camera (A6400) !

How is the image quality of the RX series compare to DSLRs and mirrorless camera? I'm currently using a Rebel T3i and wanting to upgrade after 6 years. Really like the RX100 form factor but still have loads of question regarding it capabilities. Is it just a fancy compact camera or a real deal? I'm doing street photography so the zoom would help me a lot - just not sure about the quality of a small compact lens like that...

7 hours ago, nanabilger2284 said:

How is the image quality of the RX series compare to DSLRs and mirrorless camera? I'm currently using a Rebel T3i and wanting to upgrade after 6 years. Really like the RX100 form factor but still have loads of question regarding it capabilities. Is it just a fancy compact camera or a real deal? I'm doing street photography so the zoom would help me a lot - just not sure about the quality of a small compact lens like that...

DPReview just did a pretty comprehensive test of the RX100 VII.

They also did one on the RX10 IV when it came out.

In general, until light gets pretty low, the 1" sensor will produce images indistinguishable from those from a DSLR at normal viewing sizes (posting or viewing on a tablet or phone).

The RX100 series is very small. The RX10 body is about as large and a typical compact DSLR. Both will likely equal or best the image quality of a six-year-old Rebel with much faster autofocus. The new 1" sensors are pretty remarkable.

Dave

I can't compare the RX10 IV to the Rebel because I have never used one.  I found the image quality of the RX 10 IV to be good, not great.  It got chunky at any ISO over 2000 and while it is a 20MB file I would be afraid to try and make a 16x20 print from it.  I did the like camera but I liked the a6400 better so I bought that and so far I am enjoying it. Lot of learning to do to feel really comfortable with it but I am happy with my decision. Actually thinking about selling my last DSLR body and 16-35mm that I have been holding on to for super wide moments.

13 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

Actually thinking about selling my last DSLR body and 16-35mm that I have been holding on to for super wide moments.

Just a note that the Sony 10-18 f/4 is an excellent wide zoom for APS-C E-mount cameras. You may also want to check out the Rokinon 12mm f/2 manual lens. I bought one on sale a few years ago and have gotten great results on my A6000 and later my A6300. The 10-18 is quite small and the Rokinon is just plain tiny.

10s - ISO6400 - f/2 - A6000

p968451891-5.jpg

The 8mm Rokinon fisheye is another fun lens with excellent sharpness.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Recently returned from 2 weeks in Alaska.  We spent 5 days in Lake Clark National Park for bear viewing.  I had a Canon 1DxMII and 100-400mm lens with me. But I ended up using my Sony Rx10 IV almost exclusively. I’m very happy with the photos.  The zoom range was great, and fast focus was good as well. There are certainly times when the DSLR will be needed, but in decent light, the Sony was fine.

A72EC74E-EE53-4E9E-8559-C2DBDDFF149B.jpeg

E260F567-41A8-4CE6-A06C-A91BDB4FD9AA.jpeg

Edited by Shazzah
Spelling
  • Like 1