spotty service cellular at sea

horseymike

Hi Everyone ,

Be forewarned, I antied up for the cellular at sea package from ATT for $100.00. The service was very spotty. I assumed it would work whenever the ship was out of range from the land cellular service . I assumed wrong. There were 2 days of a 7 day cruise where the cellular at sea service away from land based service was not available for whatever reason. Needless to say my attempt to be reachable was flawed.

I hope this helps fellow cruisers .

Edited by horseymike
forgot a few key words.

This is nothing new and can happen anywhere when you're on a cruise ship.....Two days out of seven isn't that bad....Nothing can be guaranteed...I use the AT&T cruise package whenever I cruise...if you're that upset call the carrier.

thanks purser. I wish ATT would have provided the same information to me prior to my purchase of their package with cellular at sea. I learned the hard way. As you said, maybe Our posts will inform other folks before they make the purchase.

Interesting. When we boarded Radiance on May 24, I forgot to turn my phone off or to airplane mode. I woke to it updating over the ship cellular and I had not paid Verizon one dime. The other thing that struck me is that the phones clock was not on Alaska daylight time (Seward) but Universal Time (Greenwich). I turned it off but have not got my cellular bill yet. I then only used my phone in ports and in certain places during our drive to Denali. I got DW their high speed Voom package. She does FB and if I needed it, could log her off and log my phone on. I also had a weird network in Vancouver (4G Roaming) which I had paid Verizon $5/mo extra for.

12 hours ago, masterdrago said:

Interesting. When we boarded Radiance on May 24, I forgot to turn my phone off or to airplane mode. I woke to it updating over the ship cellular and I had not paid Verizon one dime. The other thing that struck me is that the phones clock was not on Alaska daylight time (Seward) but Universal Time (Greenwich). I turned it off but have not got my cellular bill yet. I then only used my phone in ports and in certain places during our drive to Denali. I got DW their high speed Voom package. She does FB and if I needed it, could log her off and log my phone on. I also had a weird network in Vancouver (4G Roaming) which I had paid Verizon $5/mo extra for.

My first cruise to Alaska on NCL Pearl I bought the unlimited internet package for 10 days.  It worked without a problem.  But, I think the ship was nowhere near full, if that had anything to do with it - maybe not so many others using the bandwidth.  The next NCL Pearl Alaska cruise was 7 days so I bought the same package.  It may have worked two days total.  The ship seemed to be at capacity.   I wouldn't bother buying it again...