Voom Crown & Anchor On Board Discount Comparison

1 hour ago, cruisecookie said:

If we can purchase a Voom Surf and Stream 2 device package on a 9 day cruise for $22.79/day on Cruise Planner is that better than purchasing on the ship with our D+ discount?

$22.79 * 9 = $205.11 (2 devices, in advance)

$19.99 * 9 - $45.98 = $133.93 (1 device, on board) x 2 (you're both Diamond+, I presume) = $267.86

$18.99 * 9 * 2 - $45.98 = $295.84 (2 devices, onboard), even if you could coerce them into doubling the Diamond+ discount since you're buying for 2 devices it'd still be $249.86, still worse than buying in advance.

If you wait 2 days and buy it when there's 7 days remaining:

$19.99 * 7 - $45.98 = $93.95 (1 device, onboard) x 2 = $187.90

Edited by dswallow

Thanks so much for this thread, but now I have another question.

I want to purchase Wifi only for 24 or 48 hours, is it possible? As in most of the ports I have free roaming, in case I buy for example 24hours (if possible) do I waste hours if I disconnect or go on a tour? I mean can I use the 24h during the whole week for example using 3 hours a day?

thanks

6 hours ago, cruisecookie said:

If we can purchase a Voom Surf and Stream 2 device package on a 9 day cruise for $22.79/day on Cruise Planner is that better than purchasing on the ship with our D+ discount?

The math changes for multiple device packages and usually is in favor of buying pre-cruise. For your scenario buy now. 

7 hours ago, cruisecookie said:

Cost would be $296 with your D+ discount.

7 hours ago, CatBelle said:

Thanks so much for this thread, but now I have another question.

I want to purchase Wifi only for 24 or 48 hours, is it possible? As in most of the ports I have free roaming, in case I buy for example 24hours (if possible) do I waste hours if I disconnect or go on a tour? I mean can I use the 24h during the whole week for example using 3 hours a day?

thanks

Nope. RCCL doesn't offer per-minute based internet pricing; they do sell a day pass but it's usually at a higher price... something like $22.99/day for the slower SURF, and $29.99/day for SURF+STREAM. And it's for a contiguous 24-hour period. Onboard there are usually discounts offered for a day here or there, but that's sort of a maybe/maybe not thing. I think I recall on one sailing they offered a 50%-off price one day (the day pass, not the rest-of-the-sailing package).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

So, if we are on a 14 day TA

And will have two 24 hour Diamond periods... (Which we can stretch to "4" days)

We really only need 10 days.

Right?

Correct, and whenever you buy, you have to buy for the duration of the cruise, so use up your free days first.

47 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

So, if we are on a 14 day TA

And will have two 24 hour Diamond periods... (Which we can stretch to "4" days)

We really only need 10 days.

Right?

Your Diamond or Diamond Plus free 24-hour period(s) are the SURF version, not SURF+STREAM. You get the free/2 free 24-hour periods _OR_ you get a fixed-dollar discount off buying the package onboard. Not both.

On 7/6/2019 at 10:00 AM, pcur said:

C&A discounts improve as you move higher up the C&A ladder.  Cruise length is also a factor.  Voom pricing in the Cruise Planner also varies as sales occur from time to time. 

Thanks for putting this together.  It is a idea turned into a great tool!

One minor correction.  For Gold and Platinum members, since their discount is a percentage, you can't subtract a full day's list price when doing the buy on day two calculation.  It can make a difference when the numbers are close. (As a test, I changed the formula in E26 to =E24-($B$4*0.85) to account for the percentage discount and that cell changes to yellow.)

Tom

On 7/7/2019 at 12:51 AM, dswallow said:

$22.79 * 9 = $205.11 (2 devices, in advance)

$19.99 * 9 - $45.98 = $133.93 (1 device, on board) x 2 (you're both Diamond+, I presume) = $267.86

$18.99 * 9 * 2 - $45.98 = $295.84 (2 devices, onboard), even if you could coerce them into doubling the Diamond+ discount since you're buying for 2 devices it'd still be $249.86, still worse than buying in advance.

If you wait 2 days and buy it when there's 7 days remaining:

$19.99 * 7 - $45.98 = $93.95 (1 device, onboard) x 2 = $187.90

Thanks for your calculations.  Where did you get the $45.98 figure?  When we sailed last month with Voom Surf and Stream on one device, we did not get that much of a D+ discount, only about $39.98.

We did purchase the 2 device package for $205.11 on Cruise Planner for our upcoming cruise.

52 minutes ago, cruisecookie said:

Thanks for your calculations.  Where did you get the $45.98 figure?  When we sailed last month with Voom Surf and Stream on one device, we did not get that much of a D+ discount, only about $39.98.

We did purchase the 2 device package for $205.11 on Cruise Planner for our upcoming cruise.

You should get $22.99 x 2 as a Diamond Plus discount on any internet package (the value of 2 SURF day passes onboard). Perhaps your sailing had a lower price than usual on the SURF day pass.

On 7/5/2019 at 11:58 AM, The Sunset Glow said:

Thanks so much for posting this!!!🙏 I've always wondered what the best strategy was.

We typically use our D+ days broken up to spread out the wifi throughout the cruise. We get 4 - 24 hour blocks between both of us so we sign up one afternoon for 24 hours and have it until the same time the next day so one day covers 2 in a sense. We'll do this on a couple of days and then we'll use the other person's 48 hours to apply it to a package for the remainder of the cruise for the last 3 or so days. It depends on the length of the cruise and how many sea/port days we have as to how we go about it.

Can you explain a bit more? Are each purchasing two days? Is that cheaper? Why not purchase 4 all together?

33 minutes ago, taramsl said:

Can you explain a bit more? Are each purchasing two days? Is that cheaper? Why not purchase 4 all together?

Using 4 24 hour periods is better IMO especially on longer cruise. Doing it this way you can have wifi on 8 different days (partial days). 

Example: sign up for one 24 period on day 2 at 2pm and have it until day 3 at 2pm. Then sign up day 4 at 2 pm and have it until day 5 at 2pm etc. If there’s port days in between we can use wifi there. On shorter cruises we may just use 2 48 hour blocks. It really depends on the cruise length and itinerary. 

And you cant combine both coupons and put 4 days towards one package. 

• Like 1