Private tours - Skagway

LdyMags

There are several companies who do the hourly thing and if you find them direct 8 people could easily do a five or six hour tour for your budget range.

check with the city visitor bureau for locals doing this.

DD

We went on a full day Emerald Lake van tour with a total of 9 in the van on May 27th. It was phenomenal and had many, many stops for photos and lunch in Carcross. It was $89/pp. You even have the option of getting dropped at the Fraser WPYR depot if you decide to pre purchase the ticket for a one way 28 mile ride to Skagway. don't remember the ticket price but think it was same ($89). http://www.*****/tours.htm

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 4:29 PM, misguy said:

I recommend renting a couple of vehicles and driving yourself.  My wife and I have done that both times, and it works our great.  

Could you please expand upon this a bit?  I'm interested in doing this for an upcoming cruise and wondered where you rented, and which places you went and enjoyed.  Thank you!

We rented from Avis, and it was about 200 for an SUV.  We drove over White's Pass to Emerald Lake, the Carcross Desert, Carcross, the Yukon Suspension Bridge, and stopped at Tutshi Sled Dog tours.  You can find a great deal of execellent information in Murray's Guide to the Yukon Territory which is available online.  Here is a video with Murray Lundburg who wrote the guide. https://youtu.be/M0SoEqRPemY

• Like 1

16 hours ago, misguy said:

We rented from Avis, and it was about 200 for an SUV.  We drove over White's Pass to Emerald Lake, the Carcross Desert, Carcross, the Yukon Suspension Bridge, and stopped at Tutshi Sled Dog tours.  You can find a great deal of execellent information in Murray's Guide to the Yukon Territory which is available online.  Here is a video with Murray Lundburg who wrote the guide. https://youtu.be/M0SoEqRPemY

Thanks!  I'd perused Murray's Guide but was looking for the more personal input that you provided.  Thanks again.

Sorry,  We stopped at Tutshi Sled Dog Adventure and met Michelle Phillips who operates the facility.  I had interviewed here before, but technical difficulties prevented me from getting a good recording.  She conducted our tour and it was amazing to see how much the huskies wanted to pull the UTV.  We petted the puppies while we were waiting for our turn, and afterwards my granddaughter and I panned for gold.

The drive in is amazing and I will be posting video and a blog post about the drive, but it is something to see.  After the sled dog adventure, we drove on in to Emerald Lake and it is stunningly beautiful on a clear day, which was what we got, and then on the way back we explored the Carcross Desert and stopped at the suspension bridge for lunch. 

I had intended to drive over to Dyea, but by the time we got back I needed to return the car and walk back to the ship. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, misguy said:

Sorry,  We stopped at Tutshi Sled Dog Adventure and met Michelle Phillips who operates the facility.  I had interviewed here before, but technical difficulties prevented me from getting a good recording.  She conducted our tour and it was amazing to see how much the huskies wanted to pull the UTV.  We petted the puppies while we were waiting for our turn, and afterwards my granddaughter and I panned for gold.

The drive in is amazing and I will be posting video and a blog post about the drive, but it is something to see.  After the sled dog adventure, we drove on in to Emerald Lake and it is stunningly beautiful on a clear day, which was what we got, and then on the way back we explored the Carcross Desert and stopped at the suspension bridge for lunch. 

I had intended to drive over to Dyea, but by the time we got back I needed to return the car and walk back to the ship. 

So much great info.  Thank you again!!  We happen to be stopping at Skagway on my birthday, so I have even more reason to try to make it special.  Last time there we had done the "luxury car" on the railway, which was a lovely experience, but I wanted to see everything from a different perspective this time.  Your input is invaluable, and I'll be eager to see your video and blog post.