Packing cubes

fastnloose

Does anyone know to correctly utilise  "packing cubes"?  I have been given a set and cant see any advantage over the usual tips "stuff sock, undies etc in shoes"  If anyone knows better, please advise.

Edited by fastnloose
spelling

26 minutes ago, fastnloose said:

Does anyone know to correctly utilise  "packing cubes"?  I have been given a set and cant see any advantage over the usual tips "stuff sock, undies etc in shoes"  If anyone knows better, please advise.

I only use them when we're travelling and staying in several places. i then don't have to unpack every time in but just sort my clothing then pack different types on items into different cubes - tops / underwear/ shorts and trousers etc. I just take the cubes out my bag, take out what I need then replace it. I keep the dirty washing separate. 

I agree though about cruises. I see no value in cubes when you can fill up all the corners of your case as well as your shoes, handbags etc with small items. 

Find them extremely useful, get more in by the principal of 'squashing' the clothes into a 'cube'. Find them extremely useful when flying and staying overnight pre flight, with the next days essentials in 1 cube so I don't have the root around the whole case. Find them also useful for day of boarding by taking a change of clothes in hand baggage in a cube so not relying on main bags being delivered to the cabin until later. 

Overall seem to get more in the big case using these.

I use mine to keep things together on the shelves of the wardrobe too. I pack undies in one, t-shirts , another for shorts, etc. I roll the clothes as I find they don’t crease as much.

They were an embarrassment saver some years ago when my suitcase lock broke when disembarking. Everything was still in the case not all over the baggage hall.

I love my packing cubes. As said above, there is advantages in that they save space because you can really squash items in, they make packing and unpacking quick and painless and if you are sharing a suitcase its easy to see whos is whos.

I use around 4-6 per person- so one might be for socks and undies, one for tshirts (rolled) one for shorts, etc. They unzip and go straight into the drawer or shelf. Dirty washing goes into an empty one, and when its time to pack you just zip it all up and back in the case, job done.

Mine came in very handy this past May when my suitcase was over 50lbs.  I just took out the heaviest packing cube and put it in my carry on so my suitcase now weighed less.  I love my packing cubes and wouldn't travel without them.

I'm trying them for the first time for our next cruise - I bought them in Lakeland on the high street.   If you want some inspiration and some fun, have a look at #packwithme on youtube - there are some really entertaining videos on there to get you in the packing mood!