Tipping on Alaska Land tours

mrell345

You can tip as you usually do in other American places: 15-20 percent in restaurants, $1-$2 a bag to porters, $1-$2 per person to hotel housekeepers, 10 percent of the cost of a tour to guides and 5 percent to bus drivers.

DW is a very heavy tipper and that was no exception in Alaska. Those ranged from $5-$40 depending on how great the interaction was with the tour guides, luggage handlers, room steward, food servers, bus drivers, etc. Shawn McConnell w/Glacier Winds Charters, Captain Mike w/Lazy Otter Charters, Captain Chris w/Major Marine, Rose with Dyea Dave, Michelle with Island Wings and Clay (pilot w/Talkeetna Air Taxi) were superb host and guides. Clearly DW tipped them accordingly.

4 hours ago, masterdrago said:

DW is a very heavy tipper and that was no exception in Alaska. Those ranged from $5-$40 depending on how great the interaction was with the tour guides, luggage handlers, room steward, food servers, bus drivers, etc. Shawn McConnell w/Glacier Winds Charters, Captain Mike w/Lazy Otter Charters, Captain Chris w/Major Marine, Rose with Dyea Dave, Michelle with Island Wings and Clay (pilot w/Talkeetna Air Taxi) were superb host and guides. Clearly DW tipped them accordingly.

What is appropriate for the whale watching tour?

I would say that if on a small boat tour (6 people) and the captain does a phenomenal job, $20+. I think DW tipped some of them $40. The prices for the two of us ranged from $180 to $450 (4hrs-9hrs). So essentially, 10%.

Edited by masterdrago

8 hours ago, masterdrago said:

I would say that if on a small boat tour (6 people) and the captain does a phenomenal job, $20+. I think DW tipped some of them $40. The prices for the two of us ranged from $180 to $450 (4hrs-9hrs). So essentially, 10%.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Sujormik said:

So on top of the high fees we need to pay more? Oy.

Tipping is optional. Contrary to what some have posted, you shouldn't tip the owner of a business according to tipping etiquette. 

1 hour ago, Sujormik said:

So on top of the high fees we need to pay more? Oy.

Hopefully, you will find that it was well earned.  A good guide makes all the difference and from the advice I have received on the Cruise Critic boards, I’m expecting some amazing experiences. 

• Thanks 1

The problem is that what once was tipping is now turning into for lack of a better term a service charge.

A tip is supposed to be a recompense for good service.

When they add it on the bill by default or by law you have to pay it, it is no longer a tip.

The problem is that most places it is « expected » you leave a tip regardless of the service quality.