Flying into Rome pre-cruise

larry_s_taco

We are booked next year for a 7 day on the Epic. We are sailing out, and back into Rome. I've booked through NCL for air and hotel. So far they tell me that they can only get me there two days prior to the cruise (including 2 days in a hotel). Does anyone have experience with this? When they say two days prior, does that mean you will have two whole days in Rome prior to the cruise or that your first day is used flying in, and getting to the hotel late, then only spending one whole day in Rome prior to the cruise? They tell me there is a possibility of getting a third day in Rome if I wait closer to sailing time to book it. The information is just not really clear to me. I'd appreciate any info from those who have done it. 

Thanks, 

Larry

We did 2 days before and 2 days after. Technically we fly out on the 17th, arrive Rome on the 18th in the am, and embark the ship on the 20th. We disembark on the 1st in the am and fly out in the am on the 3rd. From what I understand, once your flight is purchased it’s not easy or maybe not even possible to change it. Personally, I wouldn’t wait until closer to sailing time in case that’s true.

I have never done cruise air, but the literal meaning for two days in hotel would be something like what I did as best case

Day 1:  land AM, customs, transportation to city/hotel by 12pm, lunch and some sightseening

Day 2  deal with time change and a day touring

Day 3: Departure; could / should be later afternoon ?   we toured around Venice till 1pm then arrived at the dock at 2:30, ship technically was sailing at 5pm but pushed it's schedule to 8pm 

Day 1 coming from US if you end up doing a evening or red-eye end up losing most of day 1 coming in the afternoon.

Factor to consider for Rome is the distance and transportation time from airport to city, where the hotel is they arrange ( close to city or port ) and then the port and city aren't close like in Venice.   This will eat into your time, also how do you do with time change, easy or will you crash and can't sleep at the worst times when trying to jam Rome in a day.

Edited by chipmaster

20 minutes ago, Carmen1409 said:

We did 2 days before and 2 days after. Technically we fly out on the 17th, arrive Rome on the 18th in the am, and embark the ship on the 20th. We disembark on the 1st in the am and fly out in the am on the 3rd. From what I understand, once your flight is purchased it’s not easy or maybe not even possible to change it. Personally, I wouldn’t wait until closer to sailing time in case that’s true.

Good info. Thanks. If all else fails I would be happy with the majority of one day, and a full day following. I would really prefer it if they could set it up for 3 days prior. I'm still quite a way out from the cruise, so I think I'm going to keep trying.

Not sure what NCL is charging you for “free air” but in Jan. 2019 I found  roundtrip from EVV to Rome  (connecting in Chicago) October 2019 for $520 pp on United. 

Last year, I bought air in Feb. for October Evv to Venice round trip on United for $500 pp again 1 connection in Chicago.

So you might want to track flights on your own.

Edited by Rsparis
  • Like 1

Are you??    flying from the US?   Flights arrive in the morning.   Frankly-   it is not difficult to just book your own flight and hotel.   Cruise hotel costs are per person, and you are way overpaying.    it is simple to get your own transfers.    Biggest benefit is being on you own time for how many days you want in Rome.   Otherwise-  you are going to stuck with what ever NCL gives you-  along with not knowing the details until it is way too late to change your mind.   

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 6:46 PM, chipmaster said:

I have never done cruise air, but the literal meaning for two days in hotel would be something like what I did as best case

Day 1:  land AM, customs, transportation to city/hotel by 12pm, lunch and some sightseening

Day 2  deal with time change and a day touring

Day 3: Departure; could / should be later afternoon ?   we toured around Venice till 1pm then arrived at the dock at 2:30, ship technically was sailing at 5pm but pushed it's schedule to 8pm 

Day 1 coming from US if you end up doing a evening or red-eye end up losing most of day 1 coming in the afternoon.

Factor to consider for Rome is the distance and transportation time from airport to city, where the hotel is they arrange ( close to city or port ) and then the port and city aren't close like in Venice.   This will eat into your time, also how do you do with time change, easy or will you crash and can't sleep at the worst times when trying to jam Rome in a day.

Us flights  come in in the morning.   Some very early.    I'm again flying out,  Monday,  and will be in Rome before  10am-   no matter where I fly out of,    Jfk,  Clt,  Ord,  Phl or Dfw.   (not chosen yet)   

We are also flying into Rome for a cruise and looked into NCL's "free flights." They were not at all a good deal because my home airport isn't one with great connections. We found a KLM flight with only one stop for $700 pp.  We have flexibility in having a few more days before the cruise and booked our own hotel close to the targeted sites. NCL's hotels in Rome seem to be NOT in great locations for tourists. 

I just got back from a trip just like yours. Flew into FCO on Sunday morning, left Wednesday morning for Civitavecchia via train. At the end, took train from Civitavecchia to Rome on Wednesday, flew out of FCO on Saturday.

Not that hard or expensive to manage that. We stayed at 2 different hotels in 2 different areas of the city.

Train from FCO to Rome is 14 euros per person. It is non stop and takes 30 minutes. Doesn't have to be pre purchased. Biggest challenge is the train to and from Civitavecchia with bags.