Alaska Cruise Clothing & Laundry Options?

Jaxweb

I'm going on a solo 7 day August Celebrity Solstice Alaska cruise and plan to travel as lightly as is possible and practical with only 1 carry on bag.

So, I want bare minimum clothing changes to wear on board and on excursions so that I have less clothes to pack and carry and less clothes to deal with laundering.

If possible, I would like to wear only lightweight quick drying clothes that I can wash in the sink and drip dry wrinkle free in the shower overnight and add multiple layers if it gets cold.

I don't care if someone on the cruise notices I wore the same clothes multiple times as long as I can keep the clothes clean. 

I assume that on board the ship I won't need to wear any heavy slow-drying clothes, but I'm going to visit Mendenhall Glacier and go dog sledding, so I will need clothes that will work for that.   The tour info says they will provide "traction overboots" plus a rain suit if needed.

I will also take a train/bus tour at one port and some walking tours at others.

Since it will be August, I assume the only place where it will be very cold will be on the glacier.

What are recommendations on what clothing to take if I want to pack a little as possible?

Does the 7 day Alaskan cruise offer a flat price bag of laundry service?

You may or may not see a "stuff a bag of laundry challenge" on a seven night cruise when a bag is done for a flat price.  

Regarding what to wear, go to the Alaska Cruise Critic forum to read the trip reports posted at the top of the forum index page.  Many have photos.  Just make sure that you have an outer layer which is water-proof --- not water resistant.  While SE Alaska has been rather dry this summer, you can still encounter heavy rain.

1 minute ago, lovecruzin said:

This year for Alaska, pack shorts! Been twice and both times in was mid 80s a couple of days!

I'll be going on the Mendenhall glacier dog sledding excursion though.

We have never done the excursion you mention. When you are on deck at Endicott arm you will want layers, for me thats usually a tank top, long sleeve shirt, fleece and a thin raincoat or wind breaker. Gloves and a hat! And long johns under my pants! For DH he skips the tank top and gloves!

If you are only taking a carry on, I suggest packing clothes in one of those vaccum type bags since Alaska clothing can be bulky.

What about long johns, jeans. t-shirt, long sleeve polo, fleece hoodie, beanie, gloves,  waterproof rain paints, rain poncho, sneakers plus waterproof boots to wear over the sneakers during wet weather? 

Shouldn't be too bulky.  Doesn't seem like I would need to pack a heavy, puffy parka coat on top of all that.  Even if I did, I wouldn't need to stuff the coat into the carry-on bag.  I could just carry/wear it while traveling to and from the cruise.

Edited by Jaxweb

I never brought long johns, t-shirt, fleece hoodie, beanie, gloves.  I did bring layers which included short sleeve athletic shirts, long sleeve pullover, waterproof hiking shoes, and a waterproof outer jacket with. a hood. The temperatures were in the upper 60's to mid 70's.  

A bag of laundry was $49.  On some of our cruises, there have been discounted specials.

Layers, layers, layers, and be prepared for possible rain.  Despite current very warm temps, I would wait until the last minute to see what the weather prediction is.  In most cases, in a 'normal' summer, you would need a heavier weight coat or light winter jacket, especially on or near the glaciers.  I also bring a hat and gloves always, regardless of time of year.  I have needed them in July and August on the deck near the glaciers, or at night on deck.  For rain gear, forget the umbrella as it just gets in the way  - of you and those around you.  A poncho is better.  Also, if it rains your shoes may get wet and there is no dryer to put them in - you may want an extra pair.