Deposits

Curleegirl

If you get a single supplement how does it effect your deposit? Do you pay as one person, more than one person, but less than two or or do you pay double? It probably varies from cruise line to cruise line, but some examples would be helpful. Thanks

I would almost bet that it would vary not only according to the cruise line but the time of year and the specials that are running at the time.  I know I saw a $50 deposit for Carnival recently and I know that NCL's Cruise Next coupons are supposed to qualify as your entire deposit.  I believe a person would be safest to inquire at the cruise line about the specific cruise you want.

That wasn't much help, was it?

A few months ago, I paid a deposit of just $50 when booking a solo cabin on NCL for a 14 day cruise next year.   I don't know if that is routine for NCL or was a special running at the time, but it certainly made it easy to make the decision to book.   In the recent past, I have paid deposits of several hundred dollars for just my half of the deposit for booking 7 - 10 day cruises with my sister or a friend on Carnival and Princess.   So, while you should check the requirements for any cruise line or itinerary that you are interested in,  I would check with NCL first if the amount of deposit is an issue. 

I agree with other comments that the size of deposit will vary greatly depending on the cruise line and whatever promotions they are offering at the time. Meanwhile...and maybe I haven't been observant on this point...but I don't recall seeing a deposit that varied based on the number of passengers included in the booking. ??? 

I booked a 7 day MSC Med cruise with a $99 fully refundable deposit.  I changed that to a 3 week cruise and deposit was upped to $399 - again refundable, but that is MSC's North American policy.  I think this is a room deposit regardless of #.

FWIIW, it really varies.  Many UK cruisers have non-refundable deposits.

I do a lot of independent land travel, but for cruises, I have decided to book with an agent....just for these kinds of questions or variables....and because I think I heard they have better luck getting deposits back for some lines.

Like others posted it can vary.  I have one booked with Celebrity that was a promo for $25.  On Carnival had some low as $50.  The most was at $300.

So many factors.  Also a tip if you are 50/50 most will allow a 24 hour hold.  I learn my lesson few years ago and the deposit was $100 and I declined the hold.  When I went to book it later that evening, it was $250 deposit.  I now do the hold and drop if I don't book

I've booked all of my cruises as a solo traveler and have only paid a deposit for 1. If you do a mock booking for 2,  you'll see that it will be twice the deposit required for just 1 passenger.  I think NCL only charges $50pp deposits for all cruises more that 4 months away. I have 2 cruises booked with them and I haven't had the impression that it was a limited time promotion. I paid $150 for a 5 night CCL (50% off deposit sale), $250 for an 8 night Bahamas RCL, $400 for a 13 day CCL deposit (50% off deposit sale), and $125 for a Celebrity 12 night (2 for 1 deposit sale). I know Celebrity also uses the length of the cruise to determine the deposit amount. I believe less than 7 day cruises have a smaller deposit than those 7 days or longer. I don't know if any other cruise line also does that.