Coco Cay Cabana Assignment

Has anyone had any success in choosing your Cabana at Coco Cay before or after boarding?  Our group has 2 Oasis Cabanas booked under different reservation numbers for October. We want to make sure we get assigned next to each other. I asked at the excursion desk when we were on Navigator in May about assignments and I was told they have nothing to do with it on the ship.  I have called the number for onboard reservations and they told me to check once we got on the ship.  Is it just random or is there is there a way to find out what Cabana each group will have? 

I believe that they have changed the policy and now they are assigned based on when you booked the cabana. At least this is the latest that I have heard on it. I believe that you used to be able to pick and change them once onboard but now it sounds like perhaps not. Not positive about this though. Happy Cruising. 

Cabanas are now assigned in the order that they were booked.

Check with shore excursion desk as soon as you board, they might be able to accommodate your request.

My sister booked a Cabana way ahead of time, but had to wait until we boarded to get pick a cabana location.  We went to shore excursion desk right after boarding, which already had many people in line.  Was first come first served, luckily got a good location, but they were going fast.  No priorities of how early you booked.  

1 minute ago, island lady said:

My sister booked a Cabana way ahead of time, but had to wait until we boarded to get pick a cabana location.  We went to shore excursion desk right after boarding, which already had many people in line.  Was first come first served, luckily got a good location, but they were going fast.  No priorities of how early you booked.  

Was this very recently? Thanks 

4 minutes ago, island lady said:

Last month.  

Huh, weird. I guess it must depend on the ship then as the instructions for my cruise says that they are pre assigned. I would think then people should probably check once they get on board just in case they haven’t been assigned yet for that ship. 

It also is likely on whether there are two ships at CoCo Cay that day. On the one in June we shared the island(Grandeur and Adventure). Cabanas were preassigned and several people had their cabanas cancelled since there weren't enough to go around for both ships. 

There was one lady crying discrimination at the excursion desk. 

18 hours ago, 37645 said:

Huh, weird. I guess it must depend on the ship then as the instructions for my cruise says that they are pre assigned. I would think then people should probably check once they get on board just in case they haven’t been assigned yet for that ship. 

We were on Mariner.

14 hours ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

It also is likely on whether there are two ships at CoCo Cay that day. On the one in June we shared the island(Grandeur and Adventure). Cabanas were preassigned and several people had their cabanas cancelled since there weren't enough to go around for both ships. 

We (on the Mariner) were the only ship in port.  

18 hours ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

I would be very upset if my cabana was cancelled.  You better be giving me something else to make up for it!

• 2 weeks later...

A few weeks ago, on the advice of the suite concierge, we went to the excursions desk and chose our cabana.  They handed us a letter with our cabana number and that was that.

However, he emphasized we had to do it on day 1.  If we waited, they would assign it randomly.  (Coco Cay was on day 3)

1 hour ago, kevinkingmd said:

A few weeks ago, on the advice of the suite concierge, we went to the excursions desk and chose our cabana.  They handed us a letter with our cabana number and that was that.

However, he emphasized we had to do it on day 1.  If we waited, they would assign it randomly.  (Coco Cay was on day 3)

That is good to know. 

I learned my lesson on this one. If you want a certain cabana go down and select on day one. Don't really like how they do this, should be first come first select at the island.

Edited by jptoz

Some ships will tell you they have no control over the assignment of cabanas on Coco Cay, however the Shore Excursions Desk does have the availability of emailing the appropriate person on the island and putting in your request. They usually will honor it, especially if you have a special need or are traveling people who also have a cabana reserved and you are looking to do a side by side. This should be done upon boarding the ship.

On 7/28/2019 at 6:31 AM, MaritimeR&R said:

Some ships will tell you they have no control over the assignment of cabanas on Coco Cay, however the Shore Excursions Desk does have the availability of emailing the appropriate person on the island and putting in your request. They usually will honor it, especially if you have a special need or are traveling people who also have a cabana reserved and you are looking to do a side by side. This should be done upon boarding the ship.

We will try this approach. Was this your personal experience and if so what ship?

Just home from Symphony and we had a Chill Island Cabana.  When I boarded, I went to shore excursions to select my cabana and was told they are assigned in advance.  Sure enough, when I went into my stateroom the cabana ticket as well as instructions, map and cabana assignment were all there.  Luckily I was front row, center - cabana #6.  Included cooler with ice/water as well as ceiling fan, usb/power outlet, 4 chaise lounges, 2 floats, couch, two side chairs and a coffee table that has lockable storage.  Cabana attendant gets your lunch/drinks and even came back with fruit, ice cream and extra waters.  Snorkel equipment is free, but you need to go to snorkel shack to get it.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, undrwtr1 said:

Just home from Symphony and we had a Chill Island Cabana.  When I boarded, I went to shore excursions to select my cabana and was told they are assigned in advance.  Sure enough, when I went into my stateroom the cabana ticket as well as instructions, map and cabana assignment were all there.  Luckily I was front row, center - cabana #6.  Included cooler with ice/water as well as ceiling fan, usb/power outlet, 4 chaise lounges, 2 floats, couch, two side chairs and a coffee table that has lockable storage.  Cabana attendant gets your lunch/drinks and even came back with fruit, ice cream and extra waters.  Snorkel equipment is free, but you need to go to snorkel shack to get it.

Probably due to bigger ship.  We went right to GS on embarkation day and were allowed to pick our cabana, even early like that, many were taken...but we still got front row and towards the quiet end.  We were on Mariner in June.

With so many different responses from Royal as well as different reports from people on different ships here on CC, I decided to send a DM to Royal via Twitter to ask about getting our 2 Cabanas next to each other.  The response I received was that we could go by the excursion desk after we boarded. I sent a DM back stating that a member on Symphony went to the excursion desk and found that their Cabana was already pre-assigned before they boarded and therefore could not be changed.  

Royal then agreed to contact the excursion desk on Symphony with a request that our Cabanas be located together. The next day I was sent a DM that our request would be granted. Hopefully when we board, this will be the case. I will try to remember to report back after our sailing in October whether this worked out for us.