Silver Explorer to Svalbard/Greenland

PLE1958

Going on this voyage in September and wanted to hear from folks who have done the arctic on explorer regarding wifi.  What percentage of the time should I expect to be able to connect? Maybe half or a third of the time?  Just trying to figure out how long of periods I won't be able to get in touch with someone. Thanks.

My experience is very old (Explorer to Svalbard in 2011) but IIRC they told us that WiFi was "spotty" (meaning nonexistent) once we got north of 75 degrees latitude. That would be the entire time you're in Svalbard as its southern tip is about 76N.

No experience with SS in Greenland, but about 3/4 of Greenland is situated below 75N, so maybe it's better there.

They have emergency communication equipment which works at all latitudes. Just not the satellite which delivers passenger internet.

WesW was just there - still the case, Wes?

Edited by jpalbny

Having been on Explorer in that part of the world 4 times, I can tell you it is spotty.  The further north, the less you will be able to connect, but also unable to do so in the fjords in Greenland.  I would say WiFi was non functional probably 1/3 of the time.  And when functional, sometimes very slow.