Transferring Reservation to TA

kkoenig89

This is my first time thinking about transferring my existing reservation (booked directly with NCL online) to a travel agent company who is offering a substantial amount OBC. If I do transfer the reservation, will I still be able to book my own dining and entertainment when they are available through MyNCL? Also, how would booking shore excursions work since that is one of my perks? Would I be able to call NCL directly to have them pre-book without upfront payment like usual or would the TA have to do that? And, if offered, would I be able to bid on an upgrade? I'm a pretty big DIYer when it comes to travel, and am nervous about giving up that much control to someone else.

Edited by kkoenig89

You will be able to book your own dining and entertainment.

You book your shore excursions and once the excursion is over, you will receive an $50 credit on your on board account.

The bidding depends if your TA subscribes to the bidding process -- I can tell you that Costco does not.

You didn't give any control up.

14 minutes ago, kkoenig89 said:

Thank you, esm54687 and xcell, for your insights. It sounds like there really isn't a reason not to transfer my reservation to the TA then.

You did manage you are a big DIYer..... my only concern would be if you are micromanaging the reservation and you see the price go down on a Friday night..... you may have to wait until Monday to coordinate with your TA to get the new price.  But that may be minor if the OBC is substantial enough.

Also, make sure that you're OK with an earlier final payment / harsher cancellation penalty that the TA may have. 

Happy Cruising 

4 hours ago, esm54687 said:

You did manage you are a big DIYer..... my only concern would be if you are micromanaging the reservation and you see the price go down on a Friday night..... you may have to wait until Monday to coordinate with your TA to get the new price.  But that may be minor if the OBC is substantial enough.

Also, make sure that you're OK with an earlier final payment / harsher cancellation penalty that the TA may have. 

Happy Cruising 

Earlier final payment? Harsher cancellation penalty? I’ve booked cruises through probably a half dozen travel agencies over the past three years and their policies mirror those of the cruise lines. I’ve never heard of this. Perhaps a thing of the past?

By not using a TA, you’re leaving free money on the table. I’ve never gotten less than $100 OBC at time of booking, even for cheap 3 nighters. 

I've seen some people on cc mention TAs with either booking or cancellation fees, but doesn't seem to be the majority. I've had a TA with an earlier final payment date than NCL, but I think that's because it's a group booking so they want that tidied up before they have to turn cabins back to NCL.

42 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

Earlier final payment? Harsher cancellation penalty? I’ve booked cruises through probably a half dozen travel agencies over the past three years and their policies mirror those of the cruise lines. I’ve never heard of this. Perhaps a thing of the past?

By not using a TA, you’re leaving free money on the table. I’ve never gotten less than $100 OBC at time of booking, even for cheap 3 nighters. 

That is why I used the word "may".... It was a heads up to make sure the TAs policies were acceptable...... there are many TAs that are able to offer great deals because they are part of a huge block (group booking) and those details are not normally passed along.

These types of bookings are done for airlines, hotels, cruises, etc....... nothing new 

Edited by esm54687

My main concern (other than giving up the ability to contact NCL directly should there be a price drop or if I'm not a fan of my flight times) is that it's an online agency that I found through that website that lets TAs make offers to you.

Edited by kkoenig89
Deleted TA name

5 minutes ago, kkoenig89 said:

My main concern (other than giving up the ability to contact NCL directly should there be a price drop or if I'm not a fan of my flight times) is that it's an online agency that I found through that website that lets TAs make offers to you. Does anyone have any experience using Crown Cruise Vacations as their TA?

Discussions and recommendations of specific TA's aren't allowed on this forum.

One other thing:   How long ago did you book through NCL?  You may know this already but the transfer has to be done within 30 days.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/guest-reservation-transfer-faq

Just now, ColeThornton said:

Discussions and recommendations of specific TA's aren't allowed on this forum.

One other thing:   How long ago did you book through NCL?  You may know this already but the transfer has to be done within 30 days.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/guest-reservation-transfer-faq

I apologize, I was unaware - I'm very new to the forum. I will edit my post accordingly. I booked on July 3rd so I still have some time before the transfer window ends.

1 minute ago, kkoenig89 said:

I apologize, I was unaware - I'm very new to the forum. I will edit my post accordingly. I booked on July 3rd so I still have some time before the transfer window ends.

No biggie.  Welcome to the forum.  Lots of great info available from the veterans here.  Lots of great info available on the ports of call forums too.  Enjoy your cruise.