AT&T cruise package versus Carnival Wifi

richelle21

No, it has to be postpaid.

A prepaid plan doesn't have a credit rating behind it so they're unwilling to let a subscriber incur roaming charges. 

At least that was the situation when I was inadvertently signed up for T-Mobile's "No credit check" One Plan (which despite the marketing was a $50/month prepaid plan). It had none of the I International calling benefits of the traditional postpaid plans.

4 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

No, it has to be postpaid.

A prepaid plan doesn't have a credit rating behind it so they're unwilling to let a subscriber incur roaming charges. 

At least that was the situation when I was inadvertently signed up for T-Mobile's "No credit check" One Plan (which despite the marketing was a $50/month prepaid plan). It had none of the I International calling benefits of the traditional postpaid plans.

hmm, something to think about.  We're on Celebrity Eclipse and don't leave until November.  I'll have to look into dropping ATT and get T-mobile instead.  I'd really like to find unlimited international data.  I don't need calling.  One of our tour's contact number is on What's App, so I need data, not a phone necessarily. 

T-Mobile's free international data is slow - throttled to 128 Kbps. I'm grandfathered into an old promotion that boosts the international speed to 256 Kbps and it's tolerable but for example I needed to download a 20 megabyte parking app in England over 256Kbps data and it took several minutes.

For "free" it's OK but if you're trying to upload 20 or 30 full-resolution photos you'll want to wait for WiFi.

You can upgrade to full speed for $5 per day or IIRC $50 for the rest of your billing month.

8 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

T-Mobile's free international data is slow - throttled to 128 Kbps. I'm grandfathered into an old promotion that boosts the international speed to 256 Kbps and it's tolerable but for example I needed to download a 20 megabyte parking app in England over 256Kbps data and it took several minutes.

For "free" it's OK but if you're trying to upload 20 or 30 full-resolution photos you'll want to wait for WiFi.

You can upgrade to full speed for $5 per day or IIRC $50 for the rest of your billing month.

$50 for full speed is a bargain for international data.  ATT cost is $120 for 6gb of data per month, international.  

3 minutes ago, norwega said:

$50 for full speed is a bargain for international data.  ATT cost is $120 for 6gb of data per month, international.  

Passport starts at $60 per month. You get 1GB plan for $60.  3GB is $120. No mention of speeds. Their international day pass is $10 per day for unlimited talk and text, as well as however much data your domestic plan allows you. If you have the unlimited data plan like I do, it’s unlimited data. The only mention of speeds is where they say you maybe throttled back to 128Kbps if you go over your monthly data allowance.  Since I have unlimited data, I do not have to worry about that. The day pass appears to be the best option for me, because we only have 3 days at an international port. $30 at most for unlimited talk, text, and data. Less if I don’t need it one of those days. My data will be off until I need it. If I leave my phone on the ship and never turn in cellular data, I pay zero. No monthly charge either. 

1 minute ago, richelle21 said:

Passport starts at $60 per month. You get 1GB plan for $60.  3GB is $120. No mention of speeds. Their international day pass is $10 per day for unlimited talk and text, as well as however much data your domestic plan allows you. If you have the unlimited data plan like I do, it’s unlimited data. The only mention of speeds is where they say you maybe throttled back to 128Kbps if you go over your monthly data allowance.  Since I have unlimited data, I do not have to worry about that. The day pass appears to be the best option for me, because we only have 3 days at an international port. $30 at most for unlimited talk, text, and data. Less if I don’t need it one of those days. My data will be off until I need it. If I leave my phone on the ship and never turn in cellular data, I pay zero. No monthly charge either. 

we don't use data much when not traveling, have only 6gb for 3 of us.  We're on a 16 day cruise with 13 days (including post crusie) in international ports.  I know I can find wi-fi onshore, but don't want to waste time with that.  I may have to accept that I won't be able to load photos to the cloud.  

On 7/26/2019 at 1:56 PM, richelle21 said:

My sister’s boyfriend has T-mobile. I didn’t see anything about unlimited data for their international plan. Where do I find more details about that?

Google T-Mobile International Roaming.  https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/roaming

Then you can put in each country that you are visiting, and it will tell you what is free, and what costs, and how much for that country.

In over 210 countries, you get Unlimited Texting.  Unlimited data, guaranteed 2G, and it may be faster, but higher speed available for a charge.  And 25 cents per minute calling.  

Some countries will have texting and calling, but not data, some countries have very high calling prices.

But most cruise destinations are in those 210 countries.

On 7/26/2019 at 3:08 PM, Underwatr said:

I find my data speed varies from country to country.  And sometimes by carrier in that country.

For larger downloads, I just find a wifi hotspot or do it from my hotel wifi.