Online vs travel agent

tnshsms

I am looking at booking a cruise on royal caribbean and I have found that the travel agents I have called all charge a fee somewhere between $30-70 a per person to book a cruise. Why would I spend the extra $30-70 to use a travel agent when I can book it online? Is there something that the online prices don't include or am I missing something else? Thanks!

I use an online place but even then I call them and get a better price than their online price. Also gives me a support person to contact should I need to.

There is NO reason to pay a travel agent any extra fee. Be sure your online one does not charge a cancellation fee above what the cruiseline imposes.

I think that some people spend the extra money on a TA because they're more comfortable having an actual person they can call with questions or concerns without having to go through the hassle of contacting RCI. I've always booked online and haven't had a problem.

One benefit I've had of using a Travel Agent is the payment schedule..... To book 5 people on a 7 night cruise the deposit is $1,250.00 to $1,500.00. My TA offers flexibility with regard to payments, as they book in groups. i.e. I only had to pay a $250.00 deposit for 5 people with an additional $1,000 due by July 1st and then final payment due either 60 or 90 days before sailing!!!!

Also, I love the little gifts my TA gives once on ship..... when on the Conquest we received champagne, a shipboard credit and chocolates throughout our cruise!!!

I have booked many cruises with a local American Express agent and have never been charged a fee and have always met or beat an on-line quote for exactly the same cruise and cabin. However, in defence of a TA, you would be charged for individual air line tickets not made as a cruise line package and "possibly" a fee for cancellation should that be necessary. I book my air independently and buy Cruise Trip Vacation Insurance, which would cover any cancellations fees, airlines tickets, hotel pre-paid reservations, etc.

I always do as much "homework" as possible to determine what cruise(s) are the best for me and find a good cabin and fair price on line. Then I contact my agent and let her quote a price. Often, I will give her more than one ship to compare. I have also tagged along with groups, who have different pre-payment schedules and perks. Whether I get a bottle of wine or an extra party on board does not affect my choice of agent. I find my local agent to be available and knowledgable as well as dependable. You can't put a price tag on that.

Bon Voyage

I prefer to book directly with the cruise line. I just like to make sure everything is correct. So if there are any mistakes I have noone to blame but myself. Although the cruise line customer service reps can make mistakes. I had a great vacation planner for my last cruise . He kept in contact with me and all of my changes and faxes. .

I've booked multiple ways - online agency, local TA, direct with RCI both by phone and online. The easiest one for me was with a local TA. Mine does charge a $25 fee, but for me I feel it is well worth it.

The online agency was ok, until I needed to make changes. They were no better than a local agency when I needed to make changes, and in some ways, for me at least, they were worse - yes, they had an 800 number I could call 24/7, but I kept getting the answer to make certain changes they had to wait and call RCI when they were open, they could make minor changes without calling RCI. It was mildly frustrating to have to go through menus, wait on hold, and deal with scratchy long distance phone lines (I have a hearing problem so this is a major issue for me). The cruise itself was wonderful and everything came out the way it was planned.

I've had good and bad experiences booking through RCI direct. The first time they were quick to take my booking, which I did at about 45 days out. But when I booked I was told I would have my docs (and thus know my flights because I booked cruise air) by the end of the week. I didn't. I called back, had to go through the menus, the holds, and finally got somebody different. They haven't gone out yet, they will be the end of this week. Same thing the following week. Keeps going on until about 4 days before the cruise. Each time talk to somebody different. Tuesday before the Saturday cruise they finally admit they haven't booked my airline flights, say they will be booked within 24 hours and I will have emailed docs. 24 hours later not there, they tell me that I have a balance I haven't paid (I don't - I paid in full). Finally 2 days before the cruise I find out my flight information, I got my docs less than 24 hours before the cruise departed. All in all with this booking I calculated I spent at least 20 hours on hold or talking to agents at RCI, most of those hours getting madder and madder because I couldn't get anybody to give me a straight answer. For my cruise next month, I've booked with RCI again, I've made changes which so far have been easily made. I already have my flights and my documents. It's already been 100% easier than the last time I booked direct.

Each time booking with a TA, the TA has lived up to their fees. The first two, I didn't know as much about cruising and didn't know where to look. My local TAs knowledge of cruising was very valuable for that. For my upcoming March cruise, I have booked through a TA, and she's already earned her $25 booking fee. It involved pre and post stays, we've cancelled people on the booking, changing flights, and other issues. All I have to do is tell her what I want - she's the one that makes the calls, makes the changes, solves the problems. This particular TA is a cruise only local TA. She goes on several cruises a year, but she is part of a larger agency so if she's not available I have somebody to talk to. It's also a local agency so that if I have a problem I can go talk face to face, which is easier for me than talking over the phone.

Archived