Universal Studios Excursion??

seasideny

I have scrolled through 10 pages and can't find Universal Studios info.

Is is possible to really get off my cruise at 1:00pm , take the excursion bus to Universal at 1:30 and then have fun at the park with my husband and daughter (11)? I think the NCL shuttle returns at 6:30pm and then the ship leaves at 9:00pm.  We have never been to universal, and would like to see the park to do some of the movie-type rides.

If Universal is not a real option, what else can we do on August 12th at Port Canaveral?  Is the water safe?

Thanks for all of your input.

Possible? Yes. Worth it? I don't think so.

If the bus leaves at 1:30 p.m. (and it may not if it's waiting for lollygaggers), then you'll get to U.S. at around 2:30 p.m. Then you have to catch the bus back at 6:30? Yikes. That's maybe four hours in the parks, and depending on the rides you want to do, maybe three or four rides. And it'll be hot as blazes. ☀️

Do you have passes or will you be buying single day tickets?

I'd be buying sIngle tickets, which I have not bought yet. I doubt it's worth it also - but I was hoping someone would say they did it and it was wonderful...😏 You just confirmed what I was already thinking. Thanks for the input. I guess I'll find something else to do.

We did a day trip to Universal studios in a PC port stop, but we were off the ship by about 8:00 and back about 5:30.

Spend your limited time closer to the port. Kennedy Space Center is great, but you are getting in late so check closing times, or head for the beach.

I'm a bit numb to Universal as I have a pass.  So to me it doesn't sound worth it.  I love going but it's not something I would try and do on a port stop.  But for others, it could be a magical, once in a lifetime trip.  And I guess technically if you had 5 hours or so you could see quite a bit.  You would definitely need an express pass and both parks as they are tightly integrated, which drives the cost to $300+ per person for just a few hours.  Plus transportation, too.  And you still won't be able to ride the newest, most popular roller coaster there (Hagrid), as the line is longer than the time you have at the park, with no express pass option.

I was going to suggest staying an extra day after your cruise, but then realized that if you have PC as a port stop, then your cruise probably didnt' depart from Florida!  Universal is an excellent stop and they give you a free express pass when you stay at one of their hotel properties for the night.  So it makes it more affordable and you get all the time you need to enjoy the parks/citywalk.  I'd make a separate trip out of it, it's just not a great stop for a limited port day.

As John suggested, Kennedy Space Center would be a much more practical thing.  Or kayaking, beaches, etc.  What does your cruise excursion list look like?

I do not understand the issue here! The decision is yours and yours alone. You know your budget, your interests, your mobility, your tolerance to walk in Florida heat, etc. No-one else know this and cannot comment!

These theme parks are very personal experences. Folks spend 2 - 3 weeks at Disney alone and leave feeling incomplete because they could not experience it all. They are super enthusiasts. The same is true for Universal and others.

Other families drive in and spend just a few hours - leaving completely satisfied. Locals here (with passes) go to the theme parks for dinner or to do one ride and leave after a couple of hours. Also very happy.

Universal Studios hours on Aug 12 is 9am to 9pm. Your bus leaves at 6:30pm which gives you several hours to explore the sights that are of interest to your family. Yes, you cannot go on every ride and dine in every restaurant and shop in every store. But that's fine unless you want to maximise the money you paid for the excursion.

Just plan ahead, study the layout map and do not waste time searching for things once there.

In terms of value for money - at first glance it sounds like a bad idea. But how much value do you place on spending a few hours at magical Universal with your family - a place you've never been?

A very personal decision indeed.  

Edited by SteerageJoe

Going through same dilemma for Disney (and even Universal).  At first when we booked the cruise I was so excited we could go to Disney for our port day. but then we prob won't get there until afternoon and like you, need to leave dinner hour?  If park prices weren't so much then we'd just go for it. For us, we have a cruise next summer out of Port Canaveral so are going to try and add 2 Disney days on at the end.  So we are skipping it (and may just do Disney Springs to get a "Disney fix"). But if don't think you'll be in the area again (or in near future) and it's in budget,l and you said you were never at Universal, then I say go for it.  Have only been to the California Universal so can't comment on Florida's Universal but as poster above, just do some research beforehand to get an idea of those "must do" things and have a plan.

Thanks for all of the input - I wanted the hear the good and the bad. 😁

We don't care about the big rides, and don't expect to see much, but 4-5 rides as a sample would be fine for us. Then we can decide to come back and explore it more, or not, during one of the school breaks.  Going to Canada's Wonderland next weekend (which is about our speed) trying to get my daughter interested in rides.

Florida's summer heat is nasty but so is New York City this weekend!  We'll survive it.  Stay cool everyone!