Rain Jackets

CruzinfromFL

We are doing an cruisetour next May/June and from all I've seen here we will plan to dress in layers. But my main concern was getting good rain jackets (yes, I still have 10 months and 5 day, but I like to be prepared LOL). Today at Gander Outdoors both my husband and I found our rain jackets. He got a Columbia for $70 and I got a Huk for $83, both on sale. If anyone is looking for rain jackets, go to Gander.

And now I'm ready to go to Alaska! And since we live in FL, these will definitely be put to use during the summer here too 😀

Thanks for the pointer. DW had borrowed a 3n1 that worked great. We have a Gander close and they start stocking their fall/winter clothing soon. She is very cold sensitive and needed the extra layer. I had a light weight REI Gor-Tex rain jacket that I have had for years. I only once needed 4 layers - Under-Armor, Merino wool thin shirt, light weight sweater or fleece and the rain jacket.

• Like 1

We bought Paradox rain jackets from Costco under $20.  Lightweight, waterproof. packable and breathable.  They worked perfectly for us.  They no longer carry them but saw they had 32 Degree rain jackets at one time as well - also under $20

Edited by Herfnerd
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Melinda Brasher said:

I finally bought my first real waterproof rain jacket several weeks ago, and this silly Arizona weather won't let me test it out.  But I bet I'll get to try it out in Alaska in a few weeks!  

All my buddies around Tuscon tell me this time of year is called Monsoon Season and it prevents them from doing much astronomy.

2 hours ago, masterdrago said:

All my buddies around Tuscon tell me this time of year is called Monsoon Season and it prevents them from doing much astronomy.

It is indeed Monsoon Season, but the storms usually start earlier in July, and this summer we still haven't had any measurable rain in my part of the Phoenix area.  Other areas of the city had downpours last night, but only about 12 tiny drops fell on me.  I don't think it's hit the rest of the state as much this year as usual either.  We really need some rain (and not just for my selfish rain jacket testing purposes).  

On 7/22/2019 at 10:32 AM, Herfnerd said:

We bought Paradox rain jackets from Costco under $20.  Lightweight, waterproof. packable and breathable.  They worked perfectly for us.  They no longer carry them but saw they had 32 Degree rain jackets at one time as well - also under $20

We cruised to Alaska this past May.  We also bought rain jackets from Costco for around $20. They worked perfectly for us...

Since this was our first trip to Alaska, we really didn't know what to expect.  I kept my eye on the weather and we pretty much dressed as we normally do, and we were just fine.  I know a lot of folks talk about layers, layers, layers...and I'm sure that works for many, but for us, we kept it simple.  We figured if we misjudged we could buy whatever we needed.   We've traveled all over the world with this mindset and so far, it has served us well.  🙂

We took our jackets in our backpack when we left the ship in case we needed it.  We wore our reg tennis shoes (didn't waterproof them)...no problems.  My husband does not get cold, and he wore a long or short sleeve tshirt each day.  I wore a cotton tank or tshirt, and then maybe a light sweater on top or a lightweight fleece jacket.  We were never cold (if anything, we got hot).

Everyone is different tho...to each their own.

Edited by CutieKakes
  • Like 1