Online check-in ~~~ spending limit for minors

mcd2745

It used to have to be for the length of the cruise, but the last time we needed to do it was a few years ago, so I'm not sure. I've heard chatter that they do daily limits now, but I don't know if that's definite.

IF they still only allow limits for the entire cruise, there is a work-around that we did a few years ago. It's a little less convenient, but it works. Our son had taken a certain amount of money that he saved up and he only wanted to spend $40/day. So every morning, I used one of the self-serve kiosks to reset his limit. But to do it, you have to add the previous day's limit to the current day. For example, on day 1, I set it to $40. On day 2, I set it to $80 (day 1 + day 2). Day 3, set to $120. And so on. Like I said, not as convenient since I had to do it every morning, but I was up and wandering around anyway.

I'd start at Guest Services if I were you and ask if they allow daily limits now.

On our recent cruise I suggested that my daughter set up a spending limit for my 10 YO grandson... she insisted it wasn't necessary, that he's very responsible (yeah, right! He's 10!)

Anyway she allowed him to spend $12 in the Warehouse (the arcade) one day. Lo and behold, the little demon spent over $70! In one afternoon! But hey, grandmas don't know nothin'!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, mcd2745 said:

When setting the spending limit...is it a daily limit (preferred), or for the length of the cruise?

I have never successfully had it be a daily limit, but some people claim it can happen.  I still try every time we check into a ship though.  

THe limit you set online is the total limit. I set one for my kids every cruise. The problem comes if you don’t prepay gratuity, when they put them on your account it maxes the limit which is silly. 

I normally give then $50 and by day 3 when the gratuity hits, it refuses them purchase.

58 minutes ago, Fourkids4us said:

THe limit you set online is the total limit. I set one for my kids every cruise. The problem comes if you don’t prepay gratuity, when they put them on your account it maxes the limit which is silly. 

I normally give then $50 and by day 3 when the gratuity hits, it refuses them purchase.

Is there any way to ask Guest Services to put all the gratuities against one account, mine for instance, to avoid this?

1 hour ago, Shaded Lady said:

Is there any way to ask Guest Services to put all the gratuities against one account, mine for instance, to avoid this?

You can pre-pay gratuities to avoid this. Not sure if they can charge all gratuities for a cabin against 1 person or not.

11 hours ago, Shaded Lady said:

When you do your check in, it will ask who you want to have charging privileges on your card.  If you put your kids on your card,  it will charge against their folio but will also show up on yours.  You will only  be charged once but it will also show up on the account of the person that the cabin was booked under.  As an example, I give my wife charging privileges on our card.  She buys a tee shirt.  Her folio number shows the purchase.  Mine also shows the purchase.  At the end of the cruise, only the charges on my folio are charged against our card.  

If you put your kids on your card, the gratuities will be charged against their folio first.  As Sanger727 said, the best way would be to pre-pay them before the cruise.  Or you could not give the kids charging privileges and just put cash down on their folio each day.