WiFI Data PLan question

POF1234

hi everyone, 

This is probably wicked stupid, but I even called Princess and they did not give me an answer that made sense.  

I'm cruising on Royal Princess from Vancouver to Whittier.  DH likes to update our facebook everyday with photos etc.  I plan to purchase the internet package.  Their are two: 

1) Four Devices @ 15 per week - total of $104.  

2) $60 per week per person.  - total of 120 for both of us. 

It seems like a better deal for us to buy package A.  I'll use my phone and DH will use his Phone and IPAD.  I guess I don;t understand why the 4 device would be cheaper than 2 persons ? Am I missing something ? 

Also - I should make sure my phone is locked down ( cell data off ) when we set sail  ? Is that correct ? 

Thanks 

1 hour ago, POF1234 said:

hi everyone, 

This is probably wicked stupid, but I even called Princess and they did not give me an answer that made sense.  

I'm cruising on Royal Princess from Vancouver to Whittier.  DH likes to update our facebook everyday with photos etc.  I plan to purchase the internet package.  Their are two: 

1) Four Devices @ 15 per week - total of $104.  

2) $60 per week per person.  - total of 120 for both of us. 

It seems like a better deal for us to buy package A.  I'll use my phone and DH will use his Phone and IPAD.  I guess I don;t understand why the 4 device would be cheaper than 2 persons ? Am I missing something ? 

Also - I should make sure my phone is locked down ( cell data off ) when we set sail  ? Is that correct ? 

Thanks 

I am also on same cruise on Royal.  You have the pricing wrong. 4 devises was $139 for a week. So cheaper to do the two only.

32FEB04A-E3A3-456E-A568-47C52F1B2871.jpeg

Edited by UrbanGirlie

Yes, put your cell phone on airport mode which will turn off all connections to the ship cell tower ($$$).  Then turn on WiFi if you want to use the ship intranet (local on ship only) or the intranet (connection to outside world).  Princess has a very good (yes, it needs improvements) local website called Princess@Sea which will allow you to see daily schedules, folio etc.  

Actually - I just booked it for $104.  It was a pre cruise deal

Communications

Item Type Quantity Price Package Purchased By Cancel
Medallionnet 4 Device 2-30 Days 1 $104.93  BON VOYAGE!  
Paid

Cancellation Policy: You may cancel 72 hours before your cruise for full refund.

I spoke at length with Verizon today.  Just in case this is helpful 

Canada is included in the domestic plan allowance.  

The analyst told me that it isn't enough to put your phone in airplane mode.  You have to turn off cellular data as well.  You mileage may vary and of course you should confirm directly with your provider.  

1 hour ago, POF1234 said:

I spoke at length with Verizon today.  Just in case this is helpful 

Canada is included in the domestic plan allowance.  

The analyst told me that it isn't enough to put your phone in airplane mode.  You have to turn off cellular data as well.  You mileage may vary and of course you should confirm directly with your provider.  

Interesting.  I have AT&T and always turned on airplane mode of course and then turned on WiFi.  I have not turned off cellular data since I did not know I had to do it.  I use Princess@Sea many times a day for various reasons.  So I went to my cellphone settings page and Airplane mode.  This is what it says:

"turning on Airplane mode disables all network features including calling, messaging, mobile data, WiFi, and Bluetooth, to use WiFi and Bluetooth turn them on"

Mileage may vary depending on your cell carrier. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Interesting.  I have AT&T and always turned on airplane mode of course and then turned on WiFi.  I have not turned off cellular data since I did not know I had to do it.  I use Princess@Sea many times a day for various reasons.  So I went to my cellphone settings page and Airplane mode.  This is what it says:

"turning on Airplane mode disables all network features including calling, messaging, mobile data, WiFi, and Bluetooth, to use WiFi and Bluetooth turn them on"

Mileage may vary depending on your cell carrier. 

I agree with all but the last sentence. 

Airplane mode disables mobile data.  On most phones, it turns off WIFI, so you just turn that back on.  Then everything goes direct via internet and no cellular connection. 

The OP's warning from Verizon was either incorrect or misunderstood.  Perhaps the OP was warned in this way, because if airplane mode is accidentally disengaged, then mobile data could start functioning if the phone registers on a tower.  You can also go into settings and turn off DATA ROAMING.  That way, if airplane mode is deactivated, you are still safe. 

I usually just go with airplane mode as it is quicker once arrive in a port to be back on cellular.

BTW, Princess@Sea is phasing out and replaced on Medallion ships, but you can still access it's functions via web browser (<shipname>.princess.com).  Otherwise, it's the OCEAN apps.  But room folio info is still under the old web browser for now at least.

6 hours ago, steelers36 said:

BTW, Princess@Sea is phasing out and replaced on Medallion ships, but you can still access it's functions via web browser (<shipname>.princess.com).  Otherwise, it's the OCEAN apps.  But room folio info is still under the old web browser for now at least.

The app Princess@Sea is actually a website on their intranet these days.  However in the Patter they continue to call it Princess@Sea as recently as our June cruise.  It has to be accessed by setting your browser to the address you mentioned and logging in with user name and password.  We were on the CB with the OM the first part of this year and the intranet website was still active with all its functionality both good and bad. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, POF1234 said:

Actually - I just booked it for $104.  It was a pre cruise deal

Communications

Item Type Quantity Price Package Purchased By Cancel
Medallionnet 4 Device 2-30 Days 1 $104.93  BON VOYAGE!  
Paid

Cancellation Policy: You may cancel 72 hours before your cruise for full refund.

Curious how close is your cruise date and when did this show up in your offers?  We also had the $59.99/pp offer, but I keep reading about the 4 device package, and want to purchase that to share with our adult daughters in the cabin beside us.  Makes more sense even at the $139.99 price for 4 vs $59.99 x 4?  We don't cruise until next May, so wondered if that type of offer would come closer to sailing time?  

2 hours ago, satxdiver said:

The app Princess@Sea is actually a website on their intranet these days.  However in the Patter they continue to call it Princess@Sea as recently as our June cruise.  It has to be accessed by setting your browser to the address you mentioned and logging in with user name and password.  We were on the CB with the OM the first part of this year and the intranet website was still active with all its functionality both good and bad. 

Yes, agreed.  One significant feature that is still in the older website is folio account review.  I imagine one day they will move it into OCEAN apps.  

1 hour ago, 13cheermom said:

Curious how close is your cruise date and when did this show up in your offers?  We also had the $59.99/pp offer, but I keep reading about the 4 device package, and want to purchase that to share with our adult daughters in the cabin beside us.  Makes more sense even at the $139.99 price for 4 vs $59.99 x 4?  We don't cruise until next May, so wondered if that type of offer would come closer to sailing time?  

I'm leaving in about 5 weeks.  I just saw this starting at 6 weeks.   I called both my TA and Princess and they said it was at the $139.00

I'd wait, if you buy it now - it might exclude you from the offer :)   I'm also seeing offers on the drink packages etc. For us we decided to just do the coffee card.  

Here's a separate question on the same matter:  I get a few hours free due to my loyalty level, but on a longer cruise, do they offer a discounted package, say halfway through, for anybody that has used up their free time, or decided into the trip that they could not live without being connected?

Curious if anybody had taken advantage of something like this, if it's offered.  I know Celebrity has such an offer, which is nice, as they are not as generous with the free minutes as Princess is. 

Thanks in advance. 

23 minutes ago, POF1234 said:

I'm leaving in about 5 weeks.  I just saw this starting at 6 weeks.   I called both my TA and Princess and they said it was at the $139.00

I'd wait, if you buy it now - it might exclude you from the offer :)   I'm also seeing offers on the drink packages etc. For us we decided to just do the coffee card.  

Thanks for the tip!  We already have the drink package from sip & sale, so hopefully thats taken care of. This is out first cruise with Princess so not sure how they do things compared to Carnival. Sounds like you got a great deal on internet though!  Enjoy.