Insurance Question - Work Related? Experts please advise.

js

Hi.

We are sailing on Encore August 2020 and have a couple of Haven cabins booked, with final payment listed by my TA for April 1, 2020.

One of the cabins I have booked is an H5 for my dd and her boyfriend, both of who are attorneys. 

Although we are very seasoned cruisers, I have never purchased insurance but thinking about it this time since my mom is getting older (so are my dh and me LOL) and

life happens.  Also, my dd's and her bf's work schedule is extremely busy.  Both said the week we booked is fine and will confirm in the winter, but wondering if there is

ANY type of cruise insurance with "for any reason" or "work related"?

If the type of insurance above can be purchased, I will do so.  If not, I guess I'll just research and try to find the best available that I can.  I know I can research

all of this, and will do so, but hoping that there are a few of you that have had actual experience in using and getting reimbursed (and sorry if you had to use).

Thank you very much.

Yes. There's CFAR (cancel for any reason). If it's not through the cruise line I've only ever seen options of 50% or 75% of the money back and it does greatly increase the insurance price.

There are also plans that include work related reasons as a reason to cancel. Not all plans have this, so you'll have to look for one. And also make sure to read through what the requirements are - I know the one I have gotten required my boss to write a letter stating that they were requiring me to stay. 

I'd also look into whether everyone needs to be on one plan or not if you're wanting something happening to one person in the group to get everyone covered. I know when my family went we put everyone on one plan, but not sure if we had to. 

4 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

Yes, there is a whole forum dedicated to it....https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Insuremytrip.com seems to be popular. If you have homeowners/car insurance through a major provider, some of them offer it as well.

I was just about to post that.  It's one of the best sub-forums on CC.

11 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Yes. There's CFAR (cancel for any reason). If it's not through the cruise line I've only ever seen options of 50% or 75% of the money back and it does greatly increase the insurance price.

There are also plans that include work related reasons as a reason to cancel. Not all plans have this, so you'll have to look for one. And also make sure to read through what the requirements are - I know the one I have gotten required my boss to write a letter stating that they were requiring me to stay. 

I'd also look into whether everyone needs to be on one plan or not if you're wanting something happening to one person in the group to get everyone covered. I know when my family went we put everyone on one plan, but not sure if we had to. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Yes, do post on the above section as well.

However, we strongly recommend

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

But CALL, do not just rely upon the online summaries.  First, the fine print can *really* matter.  Second, you have some very specific concerns that may not be obvious at all in the summaries.

You can ask them about how it works if some in the group are on different insurance policies.

There are at least *some* that do not require all to be on the same policy for a change of plans for one to also be covered for the others.

(You do not pay extra for using them.  We've used them to get policies from Travel Insured, and they do pay promptly, with no nonsense.  That's what it is all about, after all...)

There are some restrictions about timing of starting the insurance coverage, so to get the most choices, do call promptly.

And ask specifically about the "work coverage" and who would have to certify that "need", to make sure that it would "fit" IF needed.

GC

11 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

Yes, do post on the above section as well.

However, we strongly recommend

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

But CALL, do not just rely upon the online summaries.  First, the fine print can *really* matter.  Second, you have some very specific concerns that may not be obvious at all in the summaries.

You can ask them about how it works if some in the group are on different insurance policies.

There are at least *some* that do not require all to be on the same policy for a change of plans for one to also be covered for the others.

(You do not pay extra for using them.  We've used them to get policies from Travel Insured, and they do pay promptly, with no nonsense.  That's what it is all about, after all...)

There are some restrictions about timing of starting the insurance coverage, so to get the most choices, do call promptly.

And ask specifically about the "work coverage" and who would have to certify that "need", to make sure that it would "fit" IF needed.

GC

WOW! Thank you all very much! You have given me a wealth of information in just a short period of time and I'm grateful!

I have been on these boards for 18 years and didn't know there was a full subsection on Insurance, thank you so much!

I printed our all your responses and will work on reading AND calling this week.  I'll report back once I confirmed.  I am very appreciative of your responses.

Thank you.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, js said:

WOW! Thank you all very much! You have given me a wealth of information in just a short period of time and I'm grateful!

I have been on these boards for 18 years and didn't know there was a full subsection on Insurance, thank you so much!

I printed our all your responses and will work on reading AND calling this week.  I'll report back once I confirmed.  I am very appreciative of your responses.

Thank you.

There is SO much here on CC.

Why not browse through the FULL TOC (table of contents):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/

That's a great way to "take care of your 'free' time" :classic_wink:

But seriously, one can learn so much from unexpected places!

Hope you find the insurance you need!

(I'm pretty sure I've seen it/discussed it with the folks at TIS, and they are VERY patient with all sorts of questions!)

GC

1 hour ago, js said:

Hi.

We are sailing on Encore August 2020 and have a couple of Haven cabins booked, with final payment listed by my TA for April 1, 2020.

One of the cabins I have booked is an H5 for my dd and her boyfriend, both of who are attorneys. 

Although we are very seasoned cruisers, I have never purchased insurance but thinking about it this time since my mom is getting older (so are my dh and me LOL) and

life happens.  Also, my dd's and her bf's work schedule is extremely busy.  Both said the week we booked is fine and will confirm in the winter, but wondering if there is

ANY type of cruise insurance with "for any reason" or "work related"?

If the type of insurance above can be purchased, I will do so.  If not, I guess I'll just research and try to find the best available that I can.  I know I can research

all of this, and will do so, but hoping that there are a few of you that have had actual experience in using and getting reimbursed (and sorry if you had to use).

Thank you very much.

You need to get cancel for any reason insurance.  It is readily available, though it costs a bit more than other insurances.  Check insuremytrip.com

12 minutes ago, zqvol said:

You need to get cancel for any reason insurance.  It is readily available, though it costs a bit more than other insurances.  Check insuremytrip.com

Yes, CFAR coverage is a great backup if they cannot get "work related coverage" or if their work situation doesn't match the requirements of such coverage.

For 3rd party coverage, it will probably be 75% of the covered amount back as cash.

(There are some cruise-sponsored insurance CFAR policies that may "pay" more, such as 90%, but that is likely to be as a "cruise credit", probably with some time constraints.)

This is something that should also be covered if you speak with TripInsuranceStore.com

We get this coverage (CFAR), not for work reasons, but because of family situation.  However, we are very aware that IF it ever turned out that there were unusual/unexpected work issues, we'd at least get 75% of all of our non-refundable costs back as cash, with the policy types we get.

Although we've had several claims, we have not yet used the CFAR coverage, but we still get it.

(We also know that it would cover us if the weather looked too ominous, etc., but nothing was formally cancelled OR if there were political situations that disturbed us...)

GC

Thank you all again.
I booked the cabins on July 18 so I read up on it tonight and read up a lot tomorrow at work and make some calls.
I wasn't aware the requirement of purchasing approximately 15 days after initial booking, which is very helpful for me to know.  When I looked today, I believe the H5 went up $100 pp.  I'm so glad I asked this question today.