The biscuits,opinions?

7 hours ago, apetnutbeme1987 said:

So the last 3 cruises I’ve went on.The biscuits,were the worst tasting and looking things I have ever had!Am I that picky?I love Carnival!! But I really wish they would change their recipe!!

Must be the same recipe they use for their pie crusts.  I've seen cardboard that was flakier.

37 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I've haven't had them yet. I am from the south and we really love our biscuits and gravy.  I will try it on my next cruise, but I am not setting my expectations high.

Do yourself a favor and don't.  Carnival cannot make biscuits or cornbread that a southerner should ever have to suffer to eat.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, obx_fintoo said:

Do yourself a favor and don't.  Carnival cannot make biscuits or cornbread that a southerner should ever have to suffer to eat.

Well, if you expect that a ship, that's registered in Panama and is filled with chefs and cooks from Asia, is going to prepare good buttermilk biscuits, that would be a mistake lol. 

I just wish they would have more ethnic dishes on board. The Indian food they prepare is delicious. 

Bacon and eggs are always a solid choice for breakfast.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

Well, if you expect that a ship, that's registered in Panama and is filled with chefs and cooks from Asia, is going to prepare good buttermilk biscuits, that would be a mistake lol. 

I just wish they would have more ethnic dishes on board. The Indian food they prepare is delicious. 

Which is another reason it's a shame they deep 6d Tandoor.
That was our favorite eating spot for lunch!

Texan here and I can confirm the "biscuits" and "gravy" are as good as their "grits".
I feel bad for anyone not from the south who decides to try them and then have their view forever tainted by the experience.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Chervil said:

Which is another reason it's a shame they deep 6d Tandoor.
That was our favorite eating spot for lunch!

Texan here and I can confirm the "biscuits" and "gravy" are as good as their "grits".
I feel bad for anyone not from the south who decides to try them and then have their view forever tainted by the experience.

Right?

52 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

Can't go wrong with an omelette.

Biscuits and gravy is an alien dish to we Brits. I did try some in Vegas a couple of years ago and they were not as bad as expected. We would call the biscuits a savoury scone. Not sure what I'd call the gravy though; it's not gravy as we know it!

I think the biscuits are sorta like the Lido coffee. Are they good? No. Not really. Are they edible? Yeah. But just barely. But, that's good enough. Poor biscuits are better than no biscuits. Just like bad coffee is better than no coffee.

14 hours ago, obx_fintoo said:

I'm not a Southerner, and I still didn't think their biscuits or cornbread were good.  Their cornbread contained actual corn kernels, for crying out loud! :classic_ohmy:  That's understandable.  Carnival's line cooks aren't American.  They can learn to cook American foods with brief training, but that's not something they encountered as kids.  (I cooked my first dish when I was 6.)

9 hours ago, meanjean80 said:

Southerners need to avoid the biscuits and gravy.  New Yorkers need to avoid the bagels.  I am pretty sure that Carnival simply isn't strong with regional specialties.

True.  But I had their bagel with cream cheese and salmon at breakfast, and it wasn't half bad.  Then again, I'm from Chicago.  If they offered Italian beef or deep dish pizza onboard (or whatever they passed off as such), I'd probably complain. :classic_wink: 

• Like 1