Navigator of the Seas with a 12 year old

We are going on the Navigator in a few weeks and I have read that Royal considers 12 year olds as part of the "teen" program.  This is the first time we have cruised where our DD wont be in the "Kids Program".  Would someone please tell me how this works on a Royal ship?

Do we need to sign her up like you do at the kids program on the first day?

How have you handled knowing where your kid is if they can freely come and go as they please?  Do you normally set a meeting time/place? Do you let them go back to the room alone? 

Thank you for your help!!

I see it's been a couple of days with no reply; our kid is 6 so in a different position, but a suggestion for you...

If the kid has a smart phone and a data (rather than just cellular) using messenger app. like Apples iMessenger or WhatsApp, you can text each other to keep up (if you buy a 2 device Internet package). There may be other ways of doing things, an a dry erase board in the room for leaving messages might also help. 

• Thanks 1

We faced this issue for the first time on our last cruise, as it was our first cruise with our oldest having just turned twelve. They do not have to sign in/sign out as many of the activities are in different locations on the ship and they just meet there.  For instance they had a dodgeball tournament on the sports court, so everyone went straight there.  

In terms of communication, we would look at the event times, tell our son where we would be, and give him a time that he needed to report in with us.  It worked surprisingly well. I will say that although our son is not the most social of kids, he did find a small group of other boys to hang out with, and they all seemed to have a wonderful time.

🙂 amcb

• Thanks 1

Suggest that she go to the teen center meeting on the first night. A lot of kids make friends at that time. Teen activities are less structured. They are split into two groups; 12-14 and 15-17, but can be combined if there are not enough kids.  

Kids can can sign in and out by themselves. 

As as far as communicating, phone or if no phone make plans to meet at specific time/place. Would not recommend walkie talkies - rarely work well on board because of all the metal, and can be very annoying to other passengers. 

Edited by Grandma Dazzles
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Suggest that she go to the teen center meeting on the first night. A lot of kids make friends at that time. Teen activities are less structured. They are split into two groups; 12-14 and 15-17, but can be combined if there are not enough kids.  

Kids can can sign in and out by themselves. 

As as far as communicating, phone or if no phone make plans to meet at specific time/place. Would not recommend walkie talkies - rarely work well on board because of all the metal, and can be very annoying to other passengers. 

Thank you!!

When they go the first night do you need to go to sign any waivers or anything?

You do not need to sign kids in any kids 12 and up . (We learned this after a humorous track from the Star Lounge to the Living Room, and I think that will be a funny memory from our cruise forever.).  Anyway, they are able to hang out in the living room where they have video games, game tables, etc, and they have their own deck area with seating and TVs. (The entrance to the living room is port side past the sports courts and slides, right before the steps down to the Flowrider.   It is a semi-spiral staircase down.).  There will be teen karaoke in the cosmo lounge one night, there will be a teen dance party on the pool deck on night, as another mentioned there is dodge ball, etc.  As far as meeting your child/keeping track of her is concerned, we just made sure we ate dinner together, we went to Main Shows together, and we set check in times and locations after going over the Cruise Compass every day.  It worked great. 

• Thanks 1

We are facing this on Anthem over Thanksgiving.  However, in April my granddaughter went to the kids club (she was 11) and ended up finding 3 other kids she got along with very well.  They spent time together and yet was always around when we needed to see her.  We get the internet (included) and she could stay in touch that way.  The one plus we had was a genie who also would see her around the ship and was more than willing to help keep track of her.  We always require her to be with us for dinners so her running with friends time was day and not evenings.  I do not think you will have any trouble.

• Thanks 1