New Rules for WiFi

kcpvwill

Each person in the cabin can have one device connected to the WIFI at a time.  We just got back from a cruise on the Jupiter and when we signed onto the WIFI we each created an individual four-digit passcode.  We did not need to use the passcode every time we signed onto the WIFI ... just the first time.  We only had our phones connected so can't get personally specific about using other devices but if I understand correctly you can easily switch to another device.  I seem to remember that if your phone is connected and you want to use your laptop with the WIFI you simply open up the WIFI on your laptop and you will get a prompt asking if you wish to disconnected your phone and use the WIFI on the laptop ... sounds easy but don't have any personal experience with the "switching routine".  

As stated, one passenger per device is the rule. I’m no techie but I do know that It helps in preventing WiFi “traffic jams” with too many devices logged on at the same time. Too many devices and everything slows down to a frustrating crawl. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

This rule makes a lot of sense as it can assure access when you need it most.

While not as convenient as when use was unlimited, the plethora of devices is continuing to increase exponentially, so the rule makes sense.

Viking provides a bank of wired computers across from the Explorer's Desk that have more reliable connections. I have used these on each of our ocean cruises when a task required more reliable connection. Useful for when business can't wait until I return home; I do this sparingly.

3 minutes ago, Hanoj said:

Viking provides a bank of wired computers across from the Explorer's Desk that have more reliable connections.

Good point. But having the limitation will probably assure you can get wifi calling and texting with a your mobile phone along as the ship has a good internet connection.

Hello again 

Thanks to all for the quick responses.  I am happy with the restrictions, this seems fair to all, as others have said.  My only worry was that it was one per cabin and that I would have to fight for access with my husband.  Glad you were able to reassure me on this point.  We don’t use WiFi much,  just for emails and the odd bit of UK news which is limited on the TV channels on board.  

• Like 1

We are currently aboard the Sea and received the following information upon arrival:

"Please note that guests can operate two devices per person in the stateroom.  Should you wish to use third device, simply log on to the Viking Wi-Fi and you will have the option to log off from either of the connected devices."

So internet access has recently been changed back to two devices per person.🙂

6 hours ago, planterx2 said:

We are currently aboard the Sea and received the following information upon arrival:

"Please note that guests can operate two devices per person in the stateroom.  Should you wish to use third device, simply log on to the Viking Wi-Fi and you will have the option to log off from either of the connected devices."

So internet access has recently been changed back to two devices per person.🙂

Hmm...   Wondering if that is a VERY recent change.

So, planterx2, can you confirm then that you had 4 (Four) devices in the stateroom connected at the same time?

If that is the new change, unless they have change their infrastructure, that will slow things for everyone.  We were quite happy with the ease and convenience of 2 devices per statement at one time.  (We had 1 laptop, 2 iPhones, and 2 iPads - and the switching back and forth was so easy and quick - no issues at all !!).   We'll have to see if people are noticing a slow down with this "New" Rule.

CCWineLover,

We each have an iPhone and an iPad so we do not have to log off of one to log onto the other, just as it was when Viking Ocean originally started. More recently we would have to log off of one before we could log onto the other, but you are correct in saying the process was easy and quick.  We have had no problems with connections or speed, and today was a sea day so we probably would have noticed it today. I do not remember which thread it was on, but I did read on Cruise Critic in the last 1-2 weeks were the Wi-Fi service was shut down for a period of time one day to make updates. Wonder if this is what they were working on. 

37 minutes ago, planterx2 said:

CCWineLover,

We each have an iPhone and an iPad so we do not have to log off of one to log onto the other, just as it was when Viking Ocean originally started. More recently we would have to log off of one before we could log onto the other, but you are correct in saying the process was easy and quick.  We have had no problems with connections or speed, and today was a sea day so we probably would have noticed it today. I do not remember which thread it was on, but I did read on Cruise Critic in the last 1-2 weeks were the Wi-Fi service was shut down for a period of time one day to make updates. Wonder if this is what they were working on. 

Wow - timely news.  Thanks so much for the "real-time" update.   I wondered if perhaps they relaxed the device restriction after having done some system upgrades to improve performance and handle the loads.   This is good news!