Where have all the Porters gone?

berlingo

15 minutes ago, annieuk said:

Am I right in saying that this change only applies to the Ocean Terminal and not Mayflower?

Yes, that is where they have built the new structure for CPS, mainly for Iona but seems to be being trialled on Britannia only at the moment as Brian advises on another thread that Ventura was not affected last week.

Andy

1 hour ago, stocktonmackem said:

I have just returned from Ventura. although they didn't do the new procedure for us I asked the question about what is going to happen in the future. The drop off area is the same place that you are sent to at present if there is a queue at the drop off lanes. The area is covered so not a major issue. I queried what happens if you are disabled and was told that you would be sent to the normal lanes and will get help from the porters to get your luggage taken out of the car. too be honest was a bit concerned at first but looking at the layout I think it will speed things up. How many of us have complained about having to wait to long to get into the 'lane' to drop off your car. 

If it speeds things up then it would be welcomed by most (as long as they make provision for those who are disabled and need extra help). I don’t mind taking my cases over a short distance, they have good wheels Only time will tell if it is an improvement aimed at assisting the customer or just another cut in the level of service.

There never used to be these issues (in my experience anyway) in the past, the long que for drop off etc seems to have started around the time they changed the system for checking in.

Obviously bigger ships like Britannia have an impact but I don’t remember queuing with the mid sized /smaller ships previously. Are more people coming by car now perhaps or are there fewer staff so the process is slower than it was?

We embarked Arcadia on 3rd August and were met with luggage taken off us after a short while parked up in a queue for a parking space.  Embarkation was a breeze when we arrived soon after midday (before 12.30 anyway).

Disembarkation was chaos though.  We were told we needed to go to the theatre after 9.40am and arrived a bit before 9.30am when most people had already gone, so we were allowed to join a queue which snaked around the ship to the disembarkation point.  We then queued to get through the terminal to the luggage hall and again there was a queue which had to be endured to get out of the terminal and it continued for those of us who were making our way to the key collection point, which was a distance away.  Our car was then found at the far side of a big car park.  The one good point is that there were standard luggage trolleys available in the luggage hall at no cost, though before the queue reached there we went past a row of porters with their trolleys, presumably hoping for a paid (or well tipped) job as it would not have been a quick one negotiating the queues and getting to cars.

It is 3 years since we sailed with P&O but have never had that sort of problem with disembarkation previously.  Incidentally I did not see any toilets in the terminal, but may be some if you ask. 

Edited by tring

On 7/27/2019 at 8:32 PM, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

If this is how they are going to do it in the future then there are other parking operators at Southampton.  For my next cruise they are working out at 30% cheaper. I will wait and see if this is permanent  

If CPS do not want my business then that is a shame. It is another way in which the P&O cruise in experience is not what it was. 

Best wishes, Stephen

It isn't CPS fault but P&O who have brought this in to "minimise delays" with the introduction of Iona. I assume taxis can still drop off at the terminal?