Traveling with children question

My daughter is going on RCL cruise with her two children and a friend.  She has two cabins - her and her 12 year old son in one cabin, her friend and 11 tear old daughter in the other.  At check in, will they consider that the 11 year old daughter is traveling with the friend and expect parent permission letters or will they realize the daughter is traveling with her mother?  Maybe a dumb question but would hate to see them denied boarding.

Are they in connecting rooms? That does make a difference. If connecting, no problem. If not connecting, she just needs to be there present to help check her daughter in and should be fine. She will need a letter from children's father though I believe saying ok to travel. Someone else may know something more.

Edited by Kfamilycruise

10 minutes ago, Giorgi-one said:

My daughter is going on RCL cruise with her two children and a friend.  She has two cabins - her and her 12 year old son in one cabin, her friend and 11 tear old daughter in the other.  At check in, will they consider that the 11 year old daughter is traveling with the friend and expect parent permission letters or will they realize the daughter is traveling with her mother?  Maybe a dumb question but would hate to see them denied boarding.

They won’t have a problem.  No letters needed.  You are overthinking this 

• Like 1

please dont listen for people that say not to take the letter...

Will you need it? Probably not

is it possible you will be stopped and need to provide the letter or get delayed... absolutely

people have shared their personal experiences on this site. Most have said they didnt need it. Some have absolutely said they needed it and they were REAL glad they had it

will it prevent boarding? probably not. Will it delay you and cause stress if you are asked for it and you dont have it? YES

Search this site for this and see if anyone has ever needed the letter and if you find 1 or 2 or a dozen, ask yourself if its worth it not to have it

Thats the best advice anyone can provide you and you can choose to listen to whomever you want as long as you have been told the good and bad

Edited by hftmrock
  • Like 1

Directly from Royal

What family legal documents do I need to board a Royal Caribbean cruise ship?

A

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child. 

11 minutes ago, Giorgi-one said:

RCL does not require letter from father.  Rooms are adjoining not connecting.  Makes sense that everything should be OK as long as my daughter is there at check-in but stranger things have happened.

2 things about this

first... RCL does not require a letter from the one parent that is not going. that could be father OR MOTHER

second - the problem might not be with Royal Caribbean. it could be with CBT

This is what CBT recommends

If a child (under the age of 18) is traveling with only one parent or someone who is not a parent or legal guardian, what paperwork should the adult have to indicate permission or legal authority to have that child in their care?

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child's other parent (or, in the case of a child traveling with grandparents, uncles or aunts, sisters or brothers, friends, or in groups*, a note signed by both parents) stating "I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my son/daughter/group. He/She/They has/have my permission." See our Q&A parental consent.