Excursion to Iguazu Falls?

DoggyDaddy

We are booked on the 44 day Koningsdam trip from Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego around South America starting in March 2020. We have also signed up for a five day overland trip from Rio de Janeiro (with a visit to Sugerloaf  Mt. and a hotel stay there, a flight to Iguazu Falls, staying at the Melia hotel (on the Argentine side) for three nights, and a flight to Buenos Aires to rejoin the ship. 

Has anyone taken this overland excursion in the recent past, and can tell us what to expect, like what does HA provide and what do they not? We know that Brazil does not require a Visa anymore which helps. At $3,000 pp for the excursion we would think that most things would be covered. We have been looking and have not seen any recent reports, only one from quite awhile ago and they stayed on the Brazil side.

No one on our Roll Call has said they are taking this excursion.

The multi-day excursion you booked is very different than the one I booked ( but cancelled) in 2017, so I can’t speak specifically to it. 

Mine was round trip BsAs and included an afternoon tour in BsAs, 1 night at the Sheraton Librador, flights to and from Iguazu, 2 nights at the Sheraton Iguazu ( now Melia), a half day tour on the first day in Iguazu and a half day tour the second day, both on the argentine side, and transfers to and from the hotels and a transfer to the ship. Breakfasts were included in the hotels. HAL also included the National Park fee.

It took some persistence but I was able to get a copy of the itinerary from HAL. It wasn’t readily available, but knew it existed because I called HAL some weeks prior to booking and asked for more details. The agent read a description off to me. I wanted the detail because I was planning to get to the Brazil side with a couple from our roll call. We were going to pre-book a private tour in our free time and needed to know when that was. You might try calling Shore Excursions to see if they can help you with that. (You’re certainly paying enough that you  should know what you are getting for it.)😉

A little more about the Melia: It is rather isolated from the town, so unless you take a cab you will likely be eating at the hotel. Breakfast was included in the hotel rate. I thought it was quite nice with lots of fresh fruit ( including passion fruit) and hot foods. It was buffet. There are food concessions at the “fort” for lunch They close a little before the park does. This is near where the trails come together. I thought the food was pretty reasonable there. I went to the bar at the hotel for dinner. They have appetizers, pizza and burgers. The burgers were really good and ran around $18US. This was March 2018. Dinner in the diningroom included parrilla (BBQ) and smelled wonderful, but at the equivalent of $75US pp I passed. If the Brazilian side isn’t included in your tour and you decide to do it on your own, you can get a taxi or ask at the desk and they likely can get you set up with one of the tour vendors. My agent booked me with Caracol. 

Doggy Daddy,

Not sure this will help but we were there with Celebrity and considered both their one day and overnight excursions.  We found we could stay two nights on a private excursion for less than half the price.  The one day thing would be a waste in my opinion.  The one you describe would no doubt be nice but I don't know what you would miss in the mean time.  (We chose not to take the very  pricey one to Taj Mahal where you were away from the ship.  Would have missed three fantastic ports and could take a separate two week trip to India including air for what the excursion cost.)   We were fortunate our cruise ended in BA so we could extend our air, do the excursion, and then fly home.  The falls are fantastic.  I'd weight the question of whether you'd ever get another opportunity to see them and the ports you'd miss if you do.   If you think you'd get back or take a cruise that begins or ends in BA, go another time.  If not it's the question of the Falls versus what you'd miss and the $$.  

Whatever you do, enjoy your trip.

We went to Iguazu independently in 2007 post cruise. Stayed at the Sheraton on the falls (I guess that is now the Melia). The falls were spectacular.  Iguazu is definitely worth seeing. Very different than Niagara. It was easy to do independently but we were post cruise and you are mid cruise. If you are interested in seeing Rio and the falls on your five day overland I would do it.  Unless you go that way again you will miss the experience. 

The fact that the hotel is away from town and on the falls added to our visit. Our room had a view of the falls and also a memorable sticker on the sliding glass doors to our balcony (there were no screens) - the sticker warned not to leave the door open as soon the room would fill with insects and later with monkeys.  

You might be getting so few responses because the trip via HAL you are planning is drastically different than the one HAL typically offers, which is BsAs round trip. Yours includes a lot of Brazil, and you are specifically asking about what HAL provides. 😉

Edited by TiogaCruiser

You should be aware that it is an easy day trip from Bueno Aires  ti the falls      A quick flight 8 hours  at the falls which is more than enough for most with heat and humidity and bugs.... there is not a lot to do  other than the falls.    Whole day rt air meals, taxi...is under $500.00 pp

Off the ship by 8.... back on board by 7pm The airport is 10 min from the pier for domestic flights

Just an option to consider

17 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

You should be aware that it is an easy day trip from Bueno Aires  ti the falls      A quick flight 8 hours  at the falls which is more than enough for most with heat and humidity and bugs.... there is not a lot to do  other than the falls.    Whole day rt air meals, taxi...is under $500.00 pp

Off the ship by 8.... back on board by 7pm The airport is 10 min from the pier for domestic flights

Just an option to consider

That is not realistic. Not sure how you are getting 8 hours there.

And it is not uncommon for flight delays and cancellations due to weather.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TiogaCruiser said:

That is not realistic. 

I just did it.... 8 of us did  and saw all we wanted to....     So yes it is very realistic   you even had time to take to boat up to  the falls and walk to the rims...     As I said an option

I did this as an independent excursion while on the South America Grand Voyage this year. I left from Buenos Aires to the Argentina side. Visited both sides plus the Bird Park and then flew back to reboard the ship in Santos. Flights, hotel for three nights, and all transfers came to just under half of what HAL was charging for a single. It is definitely doable on your own and I would highly recommend it.

Hello,

I really can't comment on the HAL tour you mention but I assure you that you'll enjoy the Falls.

In 2011 we did a 15 day Veendam Antarctic cruise from BA to Valparaiso / Santiago. Totally different from the cruise you describe and are looking forward to. 

To make a long story short, we flew down to BA 5 days prior to embarkation, spent two days in BA, purchased AL tickets to the Falls, stayed at the Secret Garden B&B for two nights and returned to BA for another night at the same B&B in BA (who held our luggage and such).  

With that said, the Falls where spectacular and worth a two day minimum visit (if you'd like to take the boat ride on the river and Falls and the next day visiting the Falls topside and railroad, etc.). We visited the Sheraton (able to walk to on the trail from the Falls) for 'sunset drinks' prior to getting back to our accommodations, showering and enjoying a local eatery with local cuisine, drinks and music.

You can't go wrong regarding when and how you visit the Falls.

Be well & safe travels! You'll have a blast!

Bob 

We have done this on our own instead of through HAL . We booked our flights from and back to Buenos Aires  post cruise with an Argentinian Airline booked a hotel for 3 or 4 nights in Puerto Iguazu , Hotel Saint George  which is around the corner from the busstation where you can get an easy ride with the bus direct to the National Park . Transfers from the airport to the town are also fairly easy with a taxi shuttle . Some people might say see the Brazilian side while others say there is not a lot of difference , there are so many beautiful falls to see from the Argentinian side  If you see the falls for two days from early morning untill about 2 pm because it is so humid to us that was the fantastic memory for a life time and I think this can be done easily for half the price or less than the cruise line .  It is also very nice to spend the evenings in Puerto Iguazu rather than staying in the only hotel inside the National Park which is much more expensive and than you will only see the falls and nothing else.

So maybe take some time and check out your possibilities to fly to and from and book your own hotel in a convenient location , not along the road from town to the park where you are isolated. 

Hope this helps you 

Tony :classic_biggrin:

We did Iguazu Falls many years ago prior to a Princess Cruise and it is definitely something to see.  Someone once told me that Eleanor Roosevelt said  these falls were more exciting than Victoria Falls . Don't know if that is true or not.

I think three nights at the hotel, if it is the old Sheraton which was directly in front of part of the falls, is too many. But if that is what the tour is, you don't have much to say.

The Falls are a definite "Must see".