Booking last minute cruise

canes20

7 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

You are probably right that the porters notice if there is no appropriate luggage tag but if one is going to the port to check for availability of a cabin, they would not be approaching the porters anyway. So that is not a valid argument against being able to obtain a cabin at the port.

So where is your car and where is your luggage? Pulled up at the curb outside the terminal entrance? Or inside a $15 - $20 per day parking garage?

And what if by some miracle you get a cruise ticket after everyone has been boarded. (Which you won't)...  Do you then think it's easy to leave the secure area and run outside to your car? The porters have left. How does your luggage get on the ship and Xray inspected if it's larger than 22"?

Look at my post #8 and #40 in this thread.

You can't enter a MARSEC Homeland Security controlled cruise terminal with no documented reservation in hand ... no name on a manifest ... no business to be in the building ... and actually make a cruise reservation with a representative at a made-up reservation office that someone claims to have sat in 20 years ago .. and then proceed to get aboard a ship.

The people working at the port are mostly contracted 2nd party part timers who don't even work for the cruise line and are there to get the ship turned around & boarded by it's scheduled time. It's not a satellite booking office and no one there gives a hoot one way or the other if there are empty cabins.

And round and round we go.

7 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

I don’t know if that can be done but I do know you can make a reservation by phone less than 24 hours prior to sailing. That’s a fact—not a gullibility test.

I never said you can't make a phone reservation the day of sailing. It can be done on Carnival. Most of the other lines, Holland, RC, Princess & Celebrity you can call 24 hours to the ship departure time.

twodaywonder,

You have a tendency to reply on things you experienced years ago without giving that caveat.  You suggested someone to just show up at terminal and hope for a cabin, then as people pointed out that probably it  won't happen nowadays. You eventually mentioned it was years ago when you did just show up at the terminal.

You then mention how you do things nowadays.  That is how I would have responded in regards to last minute cruises.

Please don't take offense, but I would recommend that when you offer suggestions, you use more recent experiences.  I started cruising in 1981, and have taken cruises every few years.  I would never offer a suggestion about how to approach cruise things nowadays based on my experiences back in the 80's, 90's or the oughts.

Just an idea

1 hour ago, AdGuyMG said:

So where is your car and where is your luggage? Pulled up at the curb outside the terminal entrance? Or inside a $15 - $20 per day parking garage?

And what if by some miracle you get a cruise ticket after everyone has been boarded. (Which you won't)...  Do you then think it's easy to leave the secure area and run outside to your car? The porters have left. How does your luggage get on the ship and Xray inspected if it's larger than 22"?

Look at my post #8 and #40 in this thread.

You can't enter a MARSEC Homeland Security controlled cruise terminal with no documented reservation in hand ... no name on a manifest ... no business to be in the building ... and actually make a cruise reservation with a representative at a made-up reservation office that someone claims to have sat in 20 years ago .. and then proceed to get aboard a ship.

The people working at the port are mostly contracted 2nd party part timers who don't even work for the cruise line and are there to get the ship turned around & boarded by it's scheduled time. It's not a satellite booking office and no one there gives a hoot one way or the other if there are empty cabins.

And round and round we go.

I never said you can't make a phone reservation the day of sailing. It can be done on Carnival. Most of the other lines, Holland, RC, Princess & Celebrity you can call 24 hours to the ship departure time.

I came by taxi with carryon luggage? Please point out where I said you could walk in and get a cabin. What I did say was you can get a phone reservation within 24 hours—which you now agree with. You seem to have gone round one too many times and gotten  your posters confused. 

On 7/30/2019 at 1:45 PM, canes20 said:

This weekend just opened up and wanting to find a quick cruise.What is the best way to find a good price and what is the latest a cruise can still be booked? If it's a Thursday 4 day is it already too late? TIA for any and all help.

We booked on a Thursday night for a Sunday departure once.  But we had to call, couldn't do it online.