Real ID vs passport

Blondilu

I can't help but think that some jurisdictions are fighting REAL ID because it makes it difficult to issue ID to illegal immigrants.

States can issue Drivers Licenses that are not Real ID with no problem. Maryland was one of the first states to issue Real ID licenses and Maryland also issues drivers licenses to that are non Real ID to undocumented immigrants. I don’t think that was the reason. Many of the states that lagged don’t issue licenses to undocumented immigrants.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

States can issue Drivers Licenses that are not Real ID with no problem. Maryland was one of the first states to issue Real ID licenses and Maryland also issues drivers licenses to that are non Real ID to undocumented immigrants. I don’t think that was the reason. Many of the states that lagged don’t issue licenses to undocumented immigrants

I'm sure they can but I doubt that it will be long before it's considered to be discrimination to issue non-REAL ID to illegal immigrants.  After all, a non-REAL ID won't get them on a plane.

I'm sure they can but I doubt that it will be long before it's considered to be discrimination to issue non-REAL ID to illegal immigrants.  After all, a non-REAL ID won't get them on a plane.

The reason for issuing drivers licenses to undocumented immigrants in Maryland was road safety. Also so they could could get auto insurance. It had nothing to do with discrimination.

The reason many states lagged in issuing Real ID and opposed it was because of opposition to a national ID. Real ID was perceived as such.

9 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I would think the last thing an illegal immigrant would want to do is to try to board a plane and be checked out by the Feds.

10 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The reason for issuing drivers licenses to undocumented immigrants in Maryland was road safety. Also so they could could get auto insurance. It had nothing to do with discrimination.

So they say.  How did that work out?

Issuing driver's licenses to illegal immigrants had much more to do with integrating them into society.

Road safety would have seen better improvement if there were no illegal immigrants driving.

Edited by RocketMan275

20 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

It does make you wonder about the competence of civil servants.   

I can’t help thinking that because so many people seem to be unaware of the upcoming effective date of the  REAL ID requirements, that the date will be=pushed back again.  This time with the rationale that the present shut down made timely compliance impossible.

19 hours ago, hallux said:

As I noted in my previous post, it's already been pushed to Oct. 2021 as a result of the current crisis.

Proves the point that not everyone gets the word.

11 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Since to get a REAL ID requires that the holder be a US citizen or legal permanent resident, how do you give one to someone who is not legally in the country???????

3 minutes ago, SRF said:

Since to get a REAL ID requires that the holder be a US citizen or legal permanent resident, how do you give one to someone who is not legally in the country???????

"Where there's a will there's a way."

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Unless the illegal has a REAL ID.

Since they have to provide proof that they are here legally in order to obtain the REAL ID compliant license I would suspect that would be very rare indeed (and your post focused on non-REAL IDs being issued to illegal immigrants).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Since they have to provide proof that they are here legally in order to obtain the REAL ID compliant license I would suspect that would be very rare indeed (and your post focused on non-REAL IDs being issued to illegal immigrants).

No, that wasn't my point.  I recognize that it's very difficult for an illegal immigrant to get a REAL ID.   My point is that could change because some will complain that not giving REAL ID to illegals is a form of discrimination since it prevents them from air travel.  Don't forget it wasn't that long ago when an illegal couldn't get a driver's license.

No, that wasn't my point.  I recognize that it's very difficult for an illegal immigrant to get a REAL ID.   My point is that could change because some will complain that not giving REAL ID to illegals is a form of discrimination since it prevents them from air travel.  Don't forget it wasn't that long ago when an illegal couldn't get a driver's license.

Instead of facts you are making a fake point to serve whatever political agenda that you have.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

And if people do make that claim then the answer is illegals aren't going to willingly subject themselves to scrutiny by the Feds, which is something all air travelers are subjected to (and it would require a change in the REAL ID act, which is an act of Congress, not state government). 

On 8/1/2019 at 10:00 AM, sparks1093 said:

The security officer at the Manhattan terminal recognized my EDL from Vermont at a glance (the US flag makes it recognizable). The cruise personnel are trained to be able to recognize these things.

Vermont also has EDL if I am not mistaken.   One cruise I did not bring my Passport...don't know why, but I traveled on my EDL.  When we go back into the port in Los Angeles, Immigration/Customs had no idea what it was.  Tried entering with my NEXUS card which would also have been ok as I was going from Vancouver, BC to Los Angeles without a stop.  Nope, had no idea what that was either.  They did let me through.  I wrote into DHS when I returned home and they sent me info to carry with me to show the EDL (and NEXUS) was A OK.  However, I usually have my passport, so no worries.