Canadian ports

steve333

Hi all,can anyone advise me that’s been to any of the following ports how easy it is to do things like hop on hop off buses etc and are they available within walking distance once exiting the ship please:-St Johns,Corner brook,Charlottetown,Halifax,St Johns New Brunswick,Sydney Nova Scotia,,thanks,Steve.

Been a good while since I've been to those ports; however, I can offer the following:

St John's, Newfoundland - ship should dock more or less 'in town' with a short walk to the city centre; can't comment on the presence of HOHO buses

Cornerbrook, Newfoundland - very small town, not much to see/do apart from whatever is being offered onboard by way of tours although there might be some local options you could source on your own, but i'd imagine they're limited due to the size of the town

Charlottetown, PEI - never been but its a provincial capital so i'd presume there should be plenty to see/do

Halifax, Nova Scotia - ship should dock adjacent to or very near to a local indoor market which is nice to look around if that's of interest.  There is a nice waterfront causeway which leads to the city centre; easy to get to the city for a look around, etc.  You could also visit Citadel Hill either on your own or as part of a ship/local tour; google is likely a good option here

St John, New Brunswick - been far too many years since i've been so can't offer much insight although i'm sure a visit to the Bay of Fundy is going to be the highlight for most

Sydney, Nova Scotia - very small town on the island of Cape Breton, the highlight is the giant violin

hope that helps even if just a little bit

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Been a good while since I've been to those ports; however, I can offer the following:

St John's, Newfoundland - ship should dock more or less 'in town' with a short walk to the city centre; can't comment on the presence of HOHO buses

Cornerbrook, Newfoundland - very small town, not much to see/do apart from whatever is being offered onboard by way of tours although there might be some local options you could source on your own, but i'd imagine they're limited due to the size of the town

Charlottetown, PEI - never been but its a provincial capital so i'd presume there should be plenty to see/do

Halifax, Nova Scotia - ship should dock adjacent to or very near to a local indoor market which is nice to look around if that's of interest.  There is a nice waterfront causeway which leads to the city centre; easy to get to the city for a look around, etc.  You could also visit Citadel Hill either on your own or as part of a ship/local tour; google is likely a good option here

St John, New Brunswick - been far too many years since i've been so can't offer much insight although i'm sure a visit to the Bay of Fundy is going to be the highlight for most

Sydney, Nova Scotia - very small town on the island of Cape Breton, the highlight is the giant violin

hope that helps even if just a little bit

Hi and thank you for taking the time to pass your thoughts on,will be a great help as I plan our port to do list,thanks,Steve.

We enjoyed a triangular walk at Halifax; the lovely Gardens, the Citadel then down to the boardwalk alongnalongside the waterfront.  There's quite a lot going on on the waterfront, cafes, etc then the previously mentioned market.  If you plan to go into the Citadel, you can walk the walls and, iirc, they fire the canon at midday. 

https://www.novascotia.com/see-do/attractions/halifax-citadel-national-historic-site/1440

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Slugsta said:

Steve, your itinerary sounds very similar to ours! You are not on Arcadia on 16th Sept are you?

No, I have seen elsewhere that you are on the 1st Sept cruise, so we will be following along in your footsteps :classic_smile:

One of my worries about the smaller ports is that PandO might have contracted all the guides and vehicles, with nothing left for independent tours.

• Thanks 1