Alaska State museum

latebuyer

Is this walkable? I've been debating doing the 4 hour HAL tour that goes to mendenhall glacier, rainforest garden and state museum that is 89.00. I was thinking of doing it myself but i'm not sure if its possible. The other wrinkle is the ship doesn't arrive until 1 so may not be time to do both except on a tour.

Yes, it is walkable, without mobility limitations.  If you are at the furthest (AJ) dock, it would be a long walk.  You could take the Mendenhall shuttle and do the museum on your own for a lot less than $89.

17 minutes ago, christinand said:

Is this walkable? I've been debating doing the 4 hour HAL tour that goes to mendenhall glacier, rainforest garden and state museum that is 89.00. I was thinking of doing it myself but i'm not sure if its possible. The other wrinkle is the ship doesn't arrive until 1 so may not be time to do both except on a tour.

They are open from 9:00 to 5:00.  I can't see that you will have much time in the museum if you dock at 1:00.  Most of the port times in Juneau are totally ridiculous.

DON

We walked there in July, totally doable and recommended - we spent a couple of hours inside. Given that Mendenhall is open later I'd do the museum first - then for efficiency take a taxi to Mendenhall so you don't have to walk anywhere else to get to a shuttle.

I took back-to-back cruises this summer. I took the shuttle to Mendenhall on my northbound cruise and walked to the State Museum on my southbound one. We had better port times--8 a.m. until 11 p.m. on the northbound cruise and 6:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. on the southbound one. Four people missed the ship on the southbound trip. They caught up in Ketchikan. You could do both the museum and go to the glacier in your port time, but it would be tight. Another option would be going to the museum and then up the tramway to the top of Mount Roberts. 

Edited by geoherb