Victory to Radiance- after $200 million, what might cruisers expect for changes?

lensonlife

We’re cruising in June. I cruised on the Sunshine after its renovation and name change, but was new to Carnival and so had no comparison. I know they will be adding some restaurants. I assume they will be upgrading the staterooms. Do they also upgrade the stateroom bathrooms? How about the pool areas? The itinerary and the fact that we can drive to NYC for boarding were why we booked- the ship was the 3rd. I’m only curious about how much was actually renovated on previous ships. 

1 hour ago, lensonlife said:

We’re cruising in June. I cruised on the Sunshine after its renovation and name change, but was new to Carnival and so had no comparison. I know they will be adding some restaurants. I assume they will be upgrading the staterooms. Do they also upgrade the stateroom bathrooms? How about the pool areas? The itinerary and the fact that we can drive to NYC for boarding were why we booked- the ship was the 3rd. I’m only curious about how much was actually renovated on previous ships. 

Heres a list of things their adding. There are a couple others that haven’t been named. Ignore those who say it’ll just be a couple changes. They like to jump into these threads with no knowledge.

Cucina del capitano Italian restaurant

Steakhouse

guys pig and anchor smokehouse

bonsai sushi

java blue cafe

Chefs table

seafood shack

Red frog pub

piano bar

Limelight lounge

Sports square

Waterworks park

Serenity area

Cloud 9 spa

expanded shopping

Others......

• Like 1

They will be adding or changing venues while taking away some of the common space areas. They will be making the main show room smaller and removing one of the larger lounges to add two area of cabins. Go on YouTube and search the new Sunrise tour to see the pros and cons of the refurb. 

If the cruise fits your schedule take it. If you are a devout Carnival cruiser take this cruise. 

There are other ships leaving from NY next summer including the new Norwegian Encore and a redone Royal Oasis of the seas which will probably eclipse the Carnival refurb. 

2 hours ago, lensonlife said:

Besides what I listed they’ll also be adding the first Big Chicken restaurant which is Shaq O’Neils restaurant and also advanced high speed WiFi that’s on a couple of their new ships. 

When they do big overhauls like this, do they update the staterooms? Bathrooms? Pool areas? That said, I have never been on this ship- so I don’t even know if it’s an issue! I’ve cruised the Sunshine and just cruised the Horizon. This will just be my husband and I this time- usually we have our teens (only one teen now- the others are now 18 and 20- they were on the Horizon with us). I actually thought the Sunshine was quite a nice ship- (we had cruised Disney several years prior to that). We were very happy with the Horizon and spent a lot of time on the aft Tides deck- I’m probably going to miss that a lot this next time around. 

1 hour ago, lensonlife said:

When they do big overhauls like this, do they update the staterooms? Bathrooms? Pool areas? That said, I have never been on this ship- so I don’t even know if it’s an issue! I’ve cruised the Sunshine and just cruised the Horizon. This will just be my husband and I this time- usually we have our teens (only one teen now- the others are now 18 and 20- they were on the Horizon with us). I actually thought the Sunshine was quite a nice ship- (we had cruised Disney several years prior to that). We were very happy with the Horizon and spent a lot of time on the aft Tides deck- I’m probably going to miss that a lot this next time around. 

After the refurbishment it will list closely resemble the Sunshine with some of Horizons amenities. 

7 hours ago, Stick93 said:

They will be adding or changing venues while taking away some of the common space areas. They will be making the main show room smaller and removing one of the larger lounges to add two area of cabins. Go on YouTube and search the new Sunrise tour to see the pros and cons of the refurb. 

If the cruise fits your schedule take it. If you are a devout Carnival cruiser take this cruise. 

There are other ships leaving from NY next summer including the new Norwegian Encore and a redone Royal Oasis of the seas which will probably eclipse the Carnival refurb. 

There are other ships that sail from New York?  Which common spaces will be removed?

22 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

There are other ships that sail from New York?  Which common spaces will be removed?

Thats a misleading comment that prob doesn’t help anyone - you know very well that they will removed a lounge  in the aft of deck 5 and will make  the show room smaller  taking away the area on deck 3 to add more state rooms/people. You are also aware there are other ships in NYC. 

The OP seems set on the radiance - she should book it. She will enjoy it - it’s a cruise!  If she wants  different opinions she can explore off this thread to what other cruise lines are doing. 

On the  home page of this site there are many other cruise lines some of which bring ships to NYC. Some will be new and refurbished too in a dry dock that may or may not be more grand than the ship they are looking at. If they don’t want that information than they can ignore it. 

Anyone who who wants to learn more there are some great unbiased YouTube videos that will show you what is being removed and what is being added. Where the busy spots are, what you must do and what could have been better. Go there and see for yourself. 

Your spending your money - make the decision for yourself. Listen to the pro and cons that people post - 

I booked the cruise last month- just a couple weeks after disembarking the Horizon. I don’t regret our decision! We’re excited to go 🤗. Honestly, how bad can it REALLY be!!! Beautiful ports of call, an refurbished ship, time away from my crazy life with my guy of 25 years 🙌. I truly am just curious about what we have to look forward to, and what we can plan to “live with” (having had just about everything we needed on the Horizon which we thought was a great ship). Also, this cruise is literally a penny in the bucket compared to what we paid when we schlepped everyone to Miami to cruise on the Horizon for 8 days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stick93 said:

Thats a misleading comment that prob doesn’t help anyone - you know very well that they will removed a lounge  in the aft of deck 5 and will make  the show room smaller  taking away the area on deck 3 to add more state rooms/people. You are also aware there are other ships in NYC. 

The OP seems set on the radiance - she should book it. She will enjoy it - it’s a cruise!  If she wants  different opinions she can explore off this thread to what other cruise lines are doing. 

On the  home page of this site there are many other cruise lines some of which bring ships to NYC. Some will be new and refurbished too in a dry dock that may or may not be more grand than the ship they are looking at. If they don’t want that information than they can ignore it. 

Anyone who who wants to learn more there are some great unbiased YouTube videos that will show you what is being removed and what is being added. Where the busy spots are, what you must do and what could have been better. Go there and see for yourself. 

Your spending your money - make the decision for yourself. Listen to the pro and cons that people post - 

I have sailed her before and after.  The point of my reply to your post was two fold.  I was questioning what the response of other cruise lines sailings had to do with the question asked.  The second was a leading question (granted).  The common space removed (for the vast majority) is space not often used (and sometimes never used) by many cruisers.  After sailing on the Sunrise (and will sail on the Radiance on her TA), I doubt the remodel of the main show room from 3 levels to 2 levels impacts anybody.  We went to 3 shows (well the wife did 3 and I did 2) and it was never packed.  We found the Sunrise no more crowded than other Carnival ships.

59 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I have sailed her before and after.  The point of my reply to your post was two fold.  I was questioning what the response of other cruise lines sailings had to do with the question asked.  The second was a leading question (granted).  The common space removed (for the vast majority) is space not often used (and sometimes never used) by many cruisers.  After sailing on the Sunrise (and will sail on the Radiance on her TA), I doubt the remodel of the main show room from 3 levels to 2 levels impacts anybody.  We went to 3 shows (well the wife did 3 and I did 2) and it was never packed.  We found the Sunrise no more crowded than other Carnival ships.

The OP made mention about sailing out of NYC because it seems like their home port. They are questioning the ship - I assume looking for comments positive and possibly negative.  Maybe they won’t find the answers they like ??? If they are on a refundable rate and want to explore other options, there are other choices. If they were only looking at this ship they can ignore the other options. 

In regards to them removing common space to put more cabins - your opinion above is possibly correct. But some people may like the option of more space to passengers ratios which this ship did remove. 

All good! 

Just now, Stick93 said:

The OP made mention about sailing out of NYC because it seems like their home port. They are questioning the ship - I assume looking for comments positive and possibly negative.  Maybe they won’t find the answers they like ??? If they are on a refundable rate and want to explore other options, there are other choices. If they were only looking at this ship they can ignore the other options. 

In regards to them removing common space to put more cabins - your opinion above is possibly correct. But some people may like the option of more space to passengers ratios which this ship did remove. 

All good! 

Agree on that!

11 hours ago, lensonlife said:

I booked the cruise last month- just a couple weeks after disembarking the Horizon. I don’t regret our decision! We’re excited to go 🤗. Honestly, how bad can it REALLY be!!! Beautiful ports of call, an refurbished ship, time away from my crazy life with my guy of 25 years 🙌. I truly am just curious about what we have to look forward to, and what we can plan to “live with” (having had just about everything we needed on the Horizon which we thought was a great ship). Also, this cruise is literally a penny in the bucket compared to what we paid when we schlepped everyone to Miami to cruise on the Horizon for 8 days. 

I am going on her second sailing in Barcelona, I been on the Victory before

I just going for the beautiful ports of calls.

It is not going to be bad at all.

I will take pictures of the ship.

ISA

• Like 2