Ovation & travelling with a two year old

Hi everyone.  It's been a few years since I've cruised, and I've just begun researching for next year.  My husband and I hope to cruise to Alaska next summer on the Oasis, and we'll have our then two year old with us.  I've read things about splash pads on other posts, and have scoured Royal's website to see if the Ovation has one, to no avail.  Does anyone know if they have a splash pad for toddlers in swim diapers?  I have no idea if he'll be potty trained by then, and will plan as if he won't be.

Also, any other advice for travelling with a two year old?  I rarely leave him with babysitters (other than family), so I don't think I'll be utilizing any of that.  But, I'll take all the advice I can get!

thanks

Alexis

17 minutes ago, Lexus1224 said:

My husband and I hope to cruise to Alaska next summer on the Oasis, and we'll have our then two year old with us.  I've read things about splash pads on other posts, and have scoured Royal's website to see if the Ovation has one, to no avail.  Does anyone know if they have a splash pad for toddlers in swim diapers? 

I assume the Oasis reference was a typo - I doubt she will ever go to Alaska. While there's an area for toddlers, it's unlikely you'll be using that on any Alaska itinerary, the weather is just not warm enough most of the time (lucky to be in the 70s).

BTW, in terms of both pricing and availability, you are starting a bit late for next summer, unless you are going on shoulder season.

20 hours ago, Lexus1224 said:

Also, any other advice for travelling with a two year old?  I rarely leave him with babysitters (other than family), so I don't think I'll be utilizing any of that.  But, I'll take all the advice I can get!

thanks

Alexis

You might also want to take a look at the Family Cruising forum.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 5:48 PM, Biker19 said:

I assume the Oasis reference was a typo - I doubt she will ever go to Alaska. While there's an area for toddlers, it's unlikely you'll be using that on any Alaska itinerary, the weather is just not warm enough most of the time (lucky to be in the 70s).

BTW, in terms of both pricing and availability, you are starting a bit late for next summer, unless you are going on shoulder season.

I recently booked on Ovation for Aug 2020 sailing to Alaska.  Needed connecting cabins so selection was fairly limited, though we are very happy with the cabins we got.  I don't think we got a particularly good deal.  Simply wanted to lock in our booking, knowing they will adjust if a better price comes up.  That said, since the sailing is nearly fully booked already, is there really a chance the price goes down?  

3 hours ago, uvadover said:

I recently booked on Ovation for Aug 2020 sailing to Alaska.  Needed connecting cabins so selection was fairly limited, though we are very happy with the cabins we got.  I don't think we got a particularly good deal.  Simply wanted to lock in our booking, knowing they will adjust if a better price comes up.  That said, since the sailing is nearly fully booked already, is there really a chance the price goes down?  

A chance, yes. Likely, no.

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2019 at 7:26 AM, Lexus1224 said:

Hi everyone.  It's been a few years since I've cruised, and I've just begun researching for next year.  My husband and I hope to cruise to Alaska next summer on the Oasis, and we'll have our then two year old with us.  I've read things about splash pads on other posts, and have scoured Royal's website to see if the Ovation has one, to no avail.  Does anyone know if they have a splash pad for toddlers in swim diapers?  I have no idea if he'll be potty trained by then, and will plan as if he won't be.

thanks

Alexis

There is a splash area next to the kids slide. It was closed several times during our (Australia) cruise though. The play area for babies/toddlers next to the kids club is not too bad. Our 2yo enjoyed herself. 

The splash area is better than nothing.  However, our problem is our daughter who was 13 months at the time, kept wanting to go to the bigger area with her brother so it was tough.  If you don’t have another sibling playing in the bigger area you will likely have less of an issue.

My wife and I started a blog,  but just didn’t have time to keep it up.  Has lots of articles on traveling with babies and toddlers.  Lots of cruising articles especially.  It is not monetized and has no TA links or ads.

HTTP://www.thesmallworldfamily.com

Edited by rimmit