Hong Kong riots

Boatharbour

38 minutes ago, Kaylas Mom said:

I, too, am watching this closely as we are on the holiday cruise this December that ends in HK.   (SF - are you on our sailing?)

If you are on the Millennium over Christmas and New Year's then yes, looks like we're on the same sailing. Let's just hope it doesn't get rerouted

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 5:26 AM, Pushka said:

Unfortunately our only source of info is the media who take particular delight in trying to sensationalize the risks. The main risk to travellers remains at the airport. Everywhere else just avoid obvious large crowds. 

Not exactly - the State Department’s Office of Citizen Services is the best guide.  They run the SMARTTraveller program and manage travel warnings. 

7 hours ago, Kaylas Mom said:

Not exactly - the State Department’s Office of Citizen Services is the best guide.  They run the SMARTTraveller program and manage travel warnings. 

For USA maybe. I’m not from USA. 

My wife and I are on the Millennium going Hong Kong to Singapore  starting on 1/4/20. We called our TA who is a large national agency who sold ua travel insurance (we never travel without it) and they gave me their number. I called them and they told me that civil unrest would not be a covered reason to cancel and get a refund. They also only pay $300 for  a missed embarkation port. This is hardly enough money to get us to the next stop in Vietnam should we miss Hong Kong. We were then advised to use "cruise line airfare" and we then booked the air through choice air because celebrity guarantees us passage. Any thoughts? I know we are 4 months away but things can happen.

4 hours ago, LadyImpactOhio said:

Peeps on the Egypt thread say they have been booking Abu Simbel for a year from now. 

Well, it’s all a mystery. I’m not a current Viking fan at the moment. And I don’t trust their talk at all for Aussies and maybe UK people. I’m actually thinking of Uniworld for Egypt. And maybe delaying for a year. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/8/2019 at 7:59 AM, buramiko said:

Hi all I live in Hong Kong and it’s not as dangerous as most have thought.

Most police / protestors conflicts happen on weekend nights and you can easily avoid those areas by asking your hotel, usually near China office at island west, police stations in residential areas, and the government office near admiralty. Protestors are pretty civilised here they do not harm normal people nor shops. If you hang near shopping areas such as Central, Causeway Bay, Tsim Sha Tsui especially during daylight you would be pretty safe. You might however encounter sudden road blockade sometimes but there is no harm.  People still go out everyday as normal. The bright side is there are so few tourists now, much shorter queues for cable cars and taxis.  Also they are saying China would definitely end this by all means by their 70th national day on Oct 1 so we’ll see.

Hi Buramiko, 

First, I would like to say that I am sorry for the on-going unrest in Hong-Kong. It must be difficult for all Hong-Kong citizens.

Since you mentioned living in Hong-Kong, I was wondering if you had updated information. What we hear in the news media is not reassuring.

Our cruise is only in March 2020. For that cruise, we will need a transfer from the airport to our hotel, located on the Kowloon side, then from the hotel to the

Based on the existing context, besides avoiding protest areas, would you have any suggestions on other precautions to take? 

Thank you in advance.