Which way do ships face at Cococay pier

I'll echo Sam's thoughts above.  However, every picture I have seen does seem to have the ship "backed" in.  Perhaps coincidence, or maybe there is a reason.

Either way, we were there last week on Adventure and the ship was backed in with the pier to port.  Our room was pretty far forward starboard side, and couldn't really see much of the island without leaning out and looking back.  The view from Windjammer was pretty cool.

But again, two ships can call using that pier, so depending on which side of the pier your ship ends up on, potentially could be facing the other ship (if there happens to be one that day) no matter which side you choose.

13 hours ago, MaskedTurtle said:

I'm looking to book a balcony on the Navigator in January 2020.  I was wondering which way the ship will face while in port so I can decide which side to book on.

Unpredictable.

28 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Unpredictable.

I figured maybe certain size/class ships are docked a certain way.  A RCI agent said if I had a cruise booked they could look into it closer to the sail date.  I kinda wanted to know which side of the ship I should book a balcony room on in order to be able to see cococay from our room.

29 minutes ago, MaskedTurtle said:

I figured maybe certain size/class ships are docked a certain way.  A RCI agent said if I had a cruise booked they could look into it closer to the sail date.  I kinda wanted to know which side of the ship I should book a balcony room on in order to be able to see cococay from our room.

Side facing balconies do no face the island. Aft balconies do face the island. 

I'm at Coco Cay now and have been here several times in the last couple of months. The ships have all backed in from the Empress to the Harmony so the size of the ship doesn't matter. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Retired LEO said:

I'm at Coco Cay now and have been here several times in the last couple of months. The ships have all backed in from the Empress to the Harmony so the size of the ship doesn't matter. 

Oh.  I would have thought that with the angle of the pier, if the ships are backed in, balconies on the starboard side would have a better view of the island.  Good to hear from someone tjere now.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, RedIguana said:

Not sure if correct, but was under the impression that Oasis class always docked with the pier to starboard. Going to have to go look for pics of any Oasis class docked with pier to port...

But it could dock on either side of the pier, so the answer is still unknown.

8 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Not sure if correct, but was under the impression that Oasis class always docked with the pier to starboard. Going to have to go look for pics of any Oasis class docked with pier to port...

Usually but not always, I have been on both OA & AL docked on port side.

Yep, but if he takes port side will have a water view and not the ship next to him. I was wondering about the port side dockings. Oasis class is the only class I have never found a picture of docked with the pier to port. Being on Cruise Critic, it should not take someone too long to find one.......

15 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Yep, but if he takes port side will have a water view and not the ship next to him. I was wondering about the port side dockings. Oasis class is the only class I have never found a picture of docked with the pier to port. Being on Cruise Critic, it should not take someone too long to find one.......

There are two side to the dock. A port side view from the inside dock would have a view of another ship. 

On 8/8/2019 at 11:57 AM, Retired LEO said:

Empress was bow in/aft out on Saturday.

I'd add you don't know which side of the pier you might use either so trying to over think it could result in disappointment.

If you want the Coco Cay view, book an aft balcony.  Otherwise, I don’t think you can predict which side of the pier the ship will dock on. However, every photo I’ve seen and the experience I’ve had, the stern always faces the island.

view from Navigator Windjammer at 7:00 am

view from Navigator Flowrider bleachers

View from Navigator Flowrider bleachers looking off starboard at Majesty

view walking back toward pier from island

A733307A-964A-4741-B06A-7132E890CA92.jpeg

57999000-D529-43D9-9322-3921CFDDF44C.jpeg

89D1EABA-05BA-4A13-9DC7-F58D923598F5.jpeg

E2B7E630-A071-454D-87EB-E2C3D9064E92.jpeg

• Like 1

Just off of the HOTS in July on a Western Caribbean itinerary and booked a Port Side Cabin.

The ship backed into every port including Coco Cay so we ended up not having any port views. Since we are taking an Eastern sailing on this same ship next year, I asked if this was a feature of the ship because of size. Several workers said it varies based on the current of each sailing. I left my current cabin selections port side for the upcoming sailing and will hope for a different outcome next time.