Whiteboards on cabin doors for fun

lensonlife

Anyone do it? We sailed the Horizon over this last July 4 holiday week. We didn’t decorate our door as planned, but we did put up a 12x17 magnetic whiteboard along with some magnetic dry erase markers and eraser. Actually, our door wasn’t magnet- so we put it on the wall next to the door- but, instant fun!!! Everyday, we had TONS of messages! My 14 year old would sometimes write a QOTD/question of the day, and so many people wrote responses- crew included! Some were hysterical! I totally wished we’d taken photos. Probably an idea I grabbed here, and a good one 🤗

• Like 2

Yes, we have done this twice when we sailed with our son.  One time was on a Disney cruise and he was in a connecting cabin with two of his friends.  The other time he was in a cabin next door.  It was really nice to be able to leave messages.  On the Disney cruise, girls they met would leave messages to my son and his friends.  I'm sure they liked it.

• Like 2

We saw several of them on cabin doors on our deck on Legend this past week. It was mostly used by the kids in the cabins and they hung dry erase markers on their mail slot for people to post messages and comments. I'm sure those kids (and drive by people who took the time to write something) had a good time with it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lensonlife said:

The after hours messages were always a hoot! Sometimes we’d be in the cabin, and you could hear someone writing- it was so much fun! 😂

LOL I can hear the little *screech screech* of the marker in my head. I'd probably be looking out the peephole, waiting for them to leave so I could read it.

I asked about this on here a long time ago for our summer 2018 cruise and everyone told me not to do it because there would be some pretty crude things on there. Not that that would stop me, but we decided against it. Might have to reconsider the idea though.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

LOL I can hear the little *screech screech* of the marker in my head. I'd probably be looking out the peephole, waiting for them to leave so I could read it.

I asked about this on here a long time ago for our summer 2018 cruise and everyone told me not to do it because there would be some pretty crude things on there. Not that that would stop me, but we decided against it. Might have to reconsider the idea though.

There wasn’t anything I didn’t think was over the top. That said, we have a good sense of humor! And my youngest is 14, and the last of 5 kids- so  there isn’t much she’s not seen or heard! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I have seen "art work" on every whiteboard pretty much daily.  

Oy! We really didn’t have much in the way of drawings. But I can see where that can be a thing. We had lots of script. People telling you s where they were from, favorite thing they did that day, best part of their trip thus far, etc. 

20 minutes ago, lensonlife said:

There wasn’t anything I didn’t think was over the top. That said, we have a good sense of humor! And my youngest is 14, and the last of 5 kids- so  there isn’t much she’s not seen or heard! 

With the internet, I don't think there's much they haven't seen nowadays. Ours is 18, so no worries about what he might read on there.

18 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I have seen "art work" on every whiteboard pretty much daily.  

That's pretty much what I was told. A particular part of the male anatomy, to be more specific.

Now if I could only find a motion-activated camera that can take pictures through the peephole. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

With the internet, I don't think there's much they haven't seen nowadays. Ours is 18, so no worries about what he might read on there.

That's pretty much what I was told. A particular part of the male anatomy, to be more specific.

Now if I could only find a motion-activated camera that can take pictures through the peephole. 😁

I won’t forget the time we bought our youngest a Kindle for the first time. I think she might have been 9/10. I neglected to put a control on her being able to purchase media from Amazon, and she went straight there and purchased the unrated version of Stepbrothers- a popular movie amongst her adolescent siblings. Next up, we hear the drum set scene coming from her room! 😳 😂 Not our finest parenting moment, and remedied pretty quickly. Thank goodness she’s in high school now! 

Now this has me thinking, we are celebrating my son's 21st birthday on our next cruise.  How much fun it would be to write in permanent marker on the top something about his birthday, and then see the comments that people write!  I think I need to add something else onto my packing list! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, tw67 said:

Now this has me thinking, we are celebrating my son's 21st birthday on our next cruise.  How much fun it would be to write in permanent marker on the top something about his birthday, and then see the comments that people write!  I think I need to add something else onto my packing list! 

Do it! Bottoms up! 🍻 

13 minutes ago, tw67 said:

I think that is a neat idea.

I brought a white board one time and apparently the steward did not know that you could only use the special marker.  He proceeded to leave us a very nice message IN PEN, that took up the whole board.  We now have a nice momento from Keto!  LOL

So much for getting messages from other guests.....

• Haha 1