Passport "confiscation"

BobAtco

9 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

The bolded part is exactly what I mean. While most people (the vast majority) on planes aren't trouble-makers, and most people on ships aren't trouble makers, the people on a ship don't need the TSA scanners and are free too roam almost everywhere. Only because they arrived by ship. That's a weird distinction. The bad guys can buy a cruise, too.

Re: manifest time, what would the authorities do with the extra time when the computer says "No problem" in 2 seconds? Interviewing the neighbours?  "You should know that ms X and mr Y are on a cruise. To Portugal. Your neighbours. Portugal! " Ain't nobody got time for that.

At least in the US, all checked luggage, hand-carried luggage goes through security screening.  Passengers are also screened.  Employees who work at the piers also have their bags screened and walk through security detectors.  Every effort is made to keep passengers and crew safe. 

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

In fairness to those who feel otherwise perhaps my travels are more independent and interesting than theirs.  Perhaps their outlook is the result of primarily traveling on cruises or organized bus tours that more often resemble high school field trips than independent travel.  Some people are more comfortable being part of a herd than on their own.  

Possibly the most condescending post I've read in 15 years on Cruise Critic -- congratulations. 

While there certainly are a number of inexperienced travelers who cruise as an introduction to travel (and some never progress beyond that), I'd say the ones participating in this discussion do not meet that criteria. However I'm sure our collective experience pales in comparison to your own...

:classic_huh:

1 hour ago, K32682 said:

There have been many times in my travel adventures when having a passport was very helpful and I've outlined those in this thread.  In fairness to those who feel otherwise perhaps my travels are more independent and interesting than theirs.  Perhaps their outlook is the result of primarily traveling on cruises or organized bus tours that more often resemble high school field trips than independent travel.  Some people are more comfortable being part of a herd than on their own.  

Have to admit sometimes I like to yank a chain or two, but K32682 is indeed a work of art, bring on the popcorn

internet-trolls-mental-disorder.jpg

popcorn.JPG