Lirica Internet

Javert1969

Hi - never cruised with MSC before.  Can anyone give me some info about how the internet works on the Lirica:

- Quality of service.

- What kind of packages are available and what are the data limits?

On the website it's offering "standard" or "premium" but it looks like there's no difference in quality of service it's just the amount of data that changes, and it's for the whole cruise for GBP65 per person.  

Is this price worth it and/or on the ship can you buy smaller packages for just a day or two as needed?

FYI I've cruised before with other cruise lines so I'm familiar with the horrendously slow bandwidth and high latency of the connections on ships.

Edited by Javert1969

2 hours ago, Javert1969 said:

Hi - never cruised with MSC before.  Can anyone give me some info about how the internet works on the Lirica:

- Quality of service.

- What kind of packages are available and what are the data limits?

On the website it's offering "standard" or "premium" but it looks like there's no difference in quality of service it's just the amount of data that changes, and it's for the whole cruise for GBP65 per person.  

Is this price worth it and/or on the ship can you buy smaller packages for just a day or two as needed?

FYI I've cruised before with other cruise lines so I'm familiar with the horrendously slow bandwidth and high latency of the connections on ships.

I think the premium may also allow you to connect with more devices - important if sharing the package.

@Javert1969

In addition to the packages you already mentioned, they also have the following plans:

• Chat & Social Apps 
    This package can only be purchased onboard. 
    Ideal for teens and all who want to keep in touch with family and friends through social APPs like Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and more. Chat and post photos of your vacation to let everybody know about the fun you are having. Lets you connect 1 device. 
    $49.90 per cruise for 1.5 GB*
  •  
  • 24HR Package 
    This package can only be purchased onboard. 
    Connects to 1 device. The 24HR package is valid for one 24hr period onboard. 
    $44.90 for UNLIMITED GB*

You don't need to buy a package per person if you're happy to share, standard includes 2 devices and premium 4 devices. 

We've sometimes found the service very good, sometimes good and on occasion slow. Although we did conclude that was possibly due to the area we were sailing.