Proposal Ideas - Symphony

AirMike

Evening everyone - so I am planning to propose to my partner on an upcoming Oct cruise on the Symphony and am trying to get some creative ideas. I've searched the threads and online and still want to see if anyone has any additional great ideas. I've racked my brain as well and not coming up with something as creative as I want it to be. 

I do know, however, he does NOT want anything that is public. If some people are around that's fine but not something that would specifically get a big audience. I also plan to have at least a friend on board who is a photographer someplace hidden to take pictures. When I say creative and to give you an idea of what I mean, something like in the hot air balloon or having me at the bottom of the zipline at CocoCay or having a Caricature artist draw a proposal picture when he's not looking. Why can I not use any of those? Because he started talking about things that would be cool and mentioned every one that I had thought of so back to square one! I prefer not anything just on our balcony or just on deck at night, a restaurant, etc. While those are perfectly fine, trying to find something a little more than that. I've been on Oasis before but first time on Symphony so in addition to some great cruise suggestions, if anyone knows of anything unique to the ship that I might not be thinking of even better!

Thanks in advance!!

• Like 1

I don't know what you are planning on doing in those ports, but in Roatan we have used Victor Bodden for tours frequently--you could arrange for a private tour and he could help you with ideas.  Maybe have the guide have a sign in the car with a proposal?   He is very easy to work with and does a great job of customizing tours.

In Costa Maya we have gone to Tropicante beach resort a few times.  Steve, the owner, replies quickly and could arrange for a couples massage on the beach (really cheap) and might have some ideas on unique proposal ideas. My husband says it is the best massage he has ever had! 

We went tandem parasailing in Cozumel last year. It’s a little bit weather-dependant, but the views are great and it wouldn’t be weird to have a photographer on the boat for pictures. 

Or or you could ask him to wait for you at the bottom of one of the big water slides. Imagine his face when you emerge holding up a laminated “Will you marry me?” sign.

Real privacy can be tough to come by, but you might be able to set something quirky in one of the lesser-used rooms, especially with the help of an accomplice. A scrabble message in the game room? 

3 hours ago, AirMike said:

Evening everyone - so I am planning to propose to my partner on an upcoming Oct cruise on the Symphony and am trying to get some creative ideas. I've searched the threads and online and still want to see if anyone has any additional great ideas. I've racked my brain as well and not coming up with something as creative as I want it to be. 

I do know, however, he does NOT want anything that is public. If some people are around that's fine but not something that would specifically get a big audience. I also plan to have at least a friend on board who is a photographer someplace hidden to take pictures. When I say creative and to give you an idea of what I mean, something like in the hot air balloon or having me at the bottom of the zipline at CocoCay or having a Caricature artist draw a proposal picture when he's not looking. Why can I not use any of those? Because he started talking about things that would be cool and mentioned every one that I had thought of so back to square one! I prefer not anything just on our balcony or just on deck at night, a restaurant, etc. While those are perfectly fine, trying to find something a little more than that. I've been on Oasis before but first time on Symphony so in addition to some great cruise suggestions, if anyone knows of anything unique to the ship that I might not be thinking of even better!

Thanks in advance!!

I wonder if you can book out the escape room and work with the activity team to arrange something. Alternatively, you could do a scavenger hunt. Timing anything so you’re on deck around sunset is instantly pretty and feels special. Central Park at night is so nice. You can also reach out to their weddings department they do a bunch of different romance packages and might be able to help you plan something special. 

Many great ideas; good luck choosing.  I was proposed to on an excursion at the beach.  We were on a tour and had a stop at the beach.  We went to a private area where it happened  🙂  How about in a specialty restaurant.  You could have the maitre'd work with you and get a nice table.  At dessert, have the ring under a cloche that they can lift off and you can take it from there.  Roses could be brought out afterwards, flowers and room decorations could be displayed in your cabin upon your return. 

I am still thinking about this one, but funny.....I also thought of going down the slide and then coming down with a sign will you marry me but then I thought how do you know he be right there, if he comes down first he may be told to move out of the way and then he see the sign when you go up....of if you think he watch you and not go up with you and you come down the slide your not guaranteed he is right there.

I also thought of the escape room, perhaps you can have something arranged in there, but I do not know if you can pre-arrange this and its something you need to plan so that you don't run into problems.

I was thinking maybe getting one of those over the water cabanas, its private and at the same time it would be a beautiful place. Also, maybe you can purchase a bottle of wine, the ones that you have a private message written on the bottle, saying will you marry me and bringing it to the cabana?

The ship has these view platforms one on the starboard and one on the port side very forward...on deck 14....you walk all the way forward then you come to doors and you go through the door and there is the platform, its called King of the World...maybe you can contact the cruise director and ask if he make that private for you at a certain date or time and you can propose there?

11 hours ago, chet the jet said:

Have a cake deliverd to you table one night with the saying on it "Will you Marry me".   Yes many people there but it could be fun.

Like the idea but he would freak out with that many people!!

11 hours ago, arlodog said:

I don't know what you are planning on doing in those ports, but in Roatan we have used Victor Bodden for tours frequently--you could arrange for a private tour and he could help you with ideas.  Maybe have the guide have a sign in the car with a proposal?   He is very easy to work with and does a great job of customizing tours.

In Costa Maya we have gone to Tropicante beach resort a few times.  Steve, the owner, replies quickly and could arrange for a couples massage on the beach (really cheap) and might have some ideas on unique proposal ideas. My husband says it is the best massage he has ever had! 

In Roatan we are doing an all-inclusive beach day and in Costa Maya doing a tubing excursion. I've been trying to think of ideas during those too that could be creative but wouldn't know who to contact and would be a little nervous carrying the ring around at those places!

11 hours ago, CruisinCons said:

What about on the beach at CocoCay?  One of my friends did that last year.  They walked down to a quiet area where there wasn't may people. 

Thought about that too. Are there quiet areas there now with the re-design? It's been a while since i've been there. Thought about having a friend write Marry Me in the sand ahead of time or something like that.

10 hours ago, DadPerson said:

We went tandem parasailing in Cozumel last year. It’s a little bit weather-dependant, but the views are great and it wouldn’t be weird to have a photographer on the boat for pictures. 

Or or you could ask him to wait for you at the bottom of one of the big water slides. Imagine his face when you emerge holding up a laminated “Will you marry me?” sign.

Real privacy can be tough to come by, but you might be able to set something quirky in one of the lesser-used rooms, especially with the help of an accomplice. A scrabble message in the game room? 

Parasailing would be cool but he's not into heights that much plus I would worry about the ring! I thought of the waterslide too as an option but he would probably still think there are too many people since it would get attention. Thought about that at maybe the slide at the back of the ship.

8 hours ago, RG306 said:

I wonder if you can book out the escape room and work with the activity team to arrange something. Alternatively, you could do a scavenger hunt. Timing anything so you’re on deck around sunset is instantly pretty and feels special. Central Park at night is so nice. You can also reach out to their weddings department they do a bunch of different romance packages and might be able to help you plan something special. 

The escape room idea would be cool - i'll have to see if I can email them and if there are any options.

4 hours ago, Surfguyxxx said:

Many great ideas; good luck choosing.  I was proposed to on an excursion at the beach.  We were on a tour and had a stop at the beach.  We went to a private area where it happened  🙂  How about in a specialty restaurant.  You could have the maitre'd work with you and get a nice table.  At dessert, have the ring under a cloche that they can lift off and you can take it from there.  Roses could be brought out afterwards, flowers and room decorations could be displayed in your cabin upon your return. 

I'm considering the beach as an option, probably at CocoCay if I did it. I think the restaurant idea would freak him out.

35 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I am still thinking about this one, but funny.....I also thought of going down the slide and then coming down with a sign will you marry me but then I thought how do you know he be right there, if he comes down first he may be told to move out of the way and then he see the sign when you go up....of if you think he watch you and not go up with you and you come down the slide your not guaranteed he is right there.

I also thought of the escape room, perhaps you can have something arranged in there, but I do not know if you can pre-arrange this and its something you need to plan so that you don't run into problems.

I was thinking maybe getting one of those over the water cabanas, its private and at the same time it would be a beautiful place. Also, maybe you can purchase a bottle of wine, the ones that you have a private message written on the bottle, saying will you marry me and bringing it to the cabana?

The ship has these view platforms one on the starboard and one on the port side very forward...on deck 14....you walk all the way forward then you come to doors and you go through the door and there is the platform, its called King of the World...maybe you can contact the cruise director and ask if he make that private for you at a certain date or time and you can propose there?

I do like the escape room idea. I have to see who I would email about that. Does anyone know? As for the cabanas, the over water ones will not be open as of yet when we are there. I did also think of the King of the World platform so that might be an idea too.

Not even sure if it's possible but also thought about maybe seeing if there was a way to get on the rising tide bar before it officially opens where it would just be us and maybe a few friends for photos. If I remember correctly it opens at a certain time so not sure if they would do it early or not.

I love all of the idea so far. From my original post and some of the things he had mentioned already, am trying really hard to make it creative since that seems to be where his head is at. While the beach, balcony, dinner ones would be creative, I don't want to disappoint him either (and I know, he should be happy either way!!). Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!!

Edited by AirMike

How about in Wonderland ( smaller venue so wouldn't be that many people) You could enlist the Mad Hatter to he!p with the surprise. They apparently do some creative reveals like removing the cover from a dish and you could have a note and/or ring under the cover instead of food. However you end up doing it congratulations😊

6 hours ago, AirMike said:

Thought about that too. Are there quiet areas there now with the re-design? It's been a while since i've been there. Thought about having a friend write Marry Me in the sand ahead of time or something like that.

I'm considering the beach as an option, probably at CocoCay if I did it. I think the restaurant idea would freak him out.

I love all of the idea so far. From my original post and some of the things he had mentioned already, am trying really hard to make it creative since that seems to be where his head is at. While the beach, balcony, dinner ones would be creative, I don't want to disappoint him either (and I know, he should be happy either way!!). Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!!

Paging @twangster - he's been to CocoCay multiple times recently, he'll know if there are any quiet areas at the moment. 

In this map the bottom left corner of Chill Island is quiet.

Off the pier, left over the bridge and left across the sand.

OkEuoPS.jpg

This is the general area:

piCwUoS.jpg

D0EAX8e.jpg

They were setup up for a wedding near here during one of my visits with the ships as a backdrop.  Not much traffic in this area.  I have friends getting married there in September.

lUueGeP.jpg

The area near the helium balloon is quiet if the ballon isn't running due to wind but it doesn't have the views.

• Like 1

Costa Maya has a bird Aviary that has rope bridges that goes over the pool & dolphin area. On the rope bridge would be cool. They take photos through the whole complex ones I didn't even know they were taking. The photos were great quality and not expensive at all. When you get in you could secretly let them know what you have planned and I bet they would capture it.

Celebrity Equinox 102 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Celebrity Equinox 114.JPG

Celebrity Equinox 113.JPG

Edited by Lorey2007
add content

17 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

How about in Wonderland ( smaller venue so wouldn't be that many people) You could enlist the Mad Hatter to he!p with the surprise. They apparently do some creative reveals like removing the cover from a dish and you could have a note and/or ring under the cover instead of food. However you end up doing it congratulations😊

That could be a good idea, especially if it's smaller and maybe there's a slightly out of the way table. Will have to look into this one!

16 hours ago, twangster said:

In this map the bottom left corner of Chill Island is quiet.

Off the pier, left over the bridge and left across the sand.

Thanks! Good to know there are some quiet areas just in case. Having the ship in the background for pictures is good too!

16 hours ago, twangster said:
13 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

Costa Maya has a bird Aviary that has rope bridges that goes over the pool & dolphin area. On the rope bridge would be cool. They take photos through the whole complex ones I didn't even know they were taking. The photos were great quality and not expensive at all. When you get in you could secretly let them know what you have planned and I bet they would capture it.

The area near the helium balloon is quiet if the ballon isn't running due to wind but it doesn't have the views.

The bridge would be a good idea except we already have something booked that he really wants to do.

13 hours ago, JFontaine said:

Ask to get onto the helipad for ten minutes. Tell him it is a party that you got invited to from Cruise Critic, so you have to look nice. His first surprise will be when nobody else is there.  Congratulations.

That would be a good idea! I assume this isn't a public option on this ship like it is on some others?

11 hours ago, kidless said:

First congratulations! Love true love ❤️ is a beautiful thing. I’m a firm believer in less is sometimes more. Go for a walk around the ship find quiet beautiful spot get down on one knee and purpose!

Thanks and it may just come down to that! I usually plan creative things and he knows it so trying my best to come up with something. However, it may just come down to the right moment!

11 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I have to agree with kidless...carry the ring and when you feel its time and the right place get down on one knee.

I may have to! I'll end up having a ring in my pocket all week maybe!!