Proposal Ideas - Symphony

AirMike

What if you go somewhere that appears to be set-up for a wedding (you can probably find out ahead of time) and "check it out".  If he asks what you're doing or tells you to stop, tell him you're getting ideas.  If he asks for what,  that's when you ask "the question".  I know...not super imaginative, but it's coming from someone who has never even been on a date in her life.

By the way, we are definitely going to need updates...and photos.

• Like 1

I'd go for  the helipad idea!

Nice and quiet - you could make up a banner pre cruise ? Have the staff put it out for you and then make your way to the helideck with any imaginary reason and go for it!

Even  - have the ring in it's box smack bang in the middle of the H and 'accidentally' find it?

All the same, whatever you do, I'm sure it'll be a magical occasion and you have my very best wishes!

4 hours ago, AirMike said:

That would be a good idea! I assume this isn't a public option on this ship like it is on some others?

The helipad isn't publicly accessible on Symphony like it is on other ships.  They hold sailaway parties for the suites out there so it's definitely something you would have to get special permission and help with.

My husband proposed on a cruise via an excursion. It was via a helicopter that we took to a glacier (from Juneau - Herbert Glacier). It was stunning and unexpected. The pilot captured the moment and then there was champagne and the stunning flight back to port. I would highly recommend doing something like that - helicopter to tour, factor in a stop somewhere beautiful, pop the question, toast....and then return. Make sure if you do this you let the concierge know and schedule to have champagne or similar in your cabin upon your return. We did (it was Celebrity) and the captain heard about it, so the champagne was upgraded and a nice note left from the captain as well. Best day of my life until then!

My husband proposed during a cruise via a scavenger hunt. He left a note for me in the cabin saying he went for coffee and told me where to meet him... when I got there a crew member handed me an envelope with my picture on it and the note inside had the next place to meet him... I started at the bottom of the ship and ended up at the top where he got down on one knee... The only thing that could have made it better would have been a secret photographer (so good on you for thinking of it)! 

• Like 4

On 8/14/2019 at 11:51 AM, MaskedTurtle said:

What if you go somewhere that appears to be set-up for a wedding (you can probably find out ahead of time) and "check it out".  If he asks what you're doing or tells you to stop, tell him you're getting ideas.  If he asks for what,  that's when you ask "the question".  I know...not super imaginative, but it's coming from someone who has never even been on a date in her life.

By the way, we are definitely going to need updates...and photos.

I would have to see if there is something like that. Will definitely provide updates!

'

On 8/14/2019 at 1:45 PM, IzznOll17 said:

I'd go for  the helipad idea!

Nice and quiet - you could make up a banner pre cruise ? Have the staff put it out for you and then make your way to the helideck with any imaginary reason and go for it!

Even  - have the ring in it's box smack bang in the middle of the H and 'accidentally' find it?

All the same, whatever you do, I'm sure it'll be a magical occasion and you have my very best wishes!

On 8/14/2019 at 1:50 PM, AshleyDillo said:

The helipad isn't publicly accessible on Symphony like it is on other ships.  They hold sailaway parties for the suites out there so it's definitely something you would have to get special permission and help with.

Unfortunately I have contacted the events person on the ship and they said the helipad would not be an option 😞

23 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

There is a nice area behind the Aqua theatre where you can watch the wake of the ship.

I think standing there is the perfect place on the ship.

I was actually curious if you could walk back there since I didn't do it on Oasis. That might be a good idea. It's simple but a nice view!

22 hours ago, Wandering_star said:

My husband proposed during a cruise via a scavenger hunt. He left a note for me in the cabin saying he went for coffee and told me where to meet him... when I got there a crew member handed me an envelope with my picture on it and the note inside had the next place to meet him... I started at the bottom of the ship and ended up at the top where he got down on one knee... The only thing that could have made it better would have been a secret photographer (so good on you for thinking of it)! 

I had thought of this too but worried he would figure out something was happening because of it. Still on my list though!

23 hours ago, Classynfun1 said:

My husband proposed on a cruise via an excursion. It was via a helicopter that we took to a glacier (from Juneau - Herbert Glacier). It was stunning and unexpected. The pilot captured the moment and then there was champagne and the stunning flight back to port. I would highly recommend doing something like that - helicopter to tour, factor in a stop somewhere beautiful, pop the question, toast....and then return. Make sure if you do this you let the concierge know and schedule to have champagne or similar in your cabin upon your return. We did (it was Celebrity) and the captain heard about it, so the champagne was upgraded and a nice note left from the captain as well. Best day of my life until then!

I don't think we will be doing an excursion like that but will need to make sure the concierge knows. Would be nice to know that there is a little bit of a big deal made for us!!

I also asked them about the escape room and they said they could make it a private event for $530. This seems a bit high since it's $19.99 per person with I believe a max of 12 people which equates to $240. Not sure why it needs to be so high to make it private when i could basically just book it for 12 people myself, pay the $240, and only a few of us actually show up (we have a bunch of cabins on the ship so could easily book 12 people).

They are looking into doing it at the bottom of the Abyss slide (although not sure what needs to be looked into).

Also considering something in Wonderland and have asked for some info.

Keep the ideas coming!!!

52 minutes ago, AirMike said:

They are looking into doing it at the bottom of the Abyss slide (although not sure what needs to be looked into).

This was actually my first thought.  Not much you would need to look into doing other than coordinating to have someone to photograph at the bottom.  But basically if you coordinate with the sports deck person who is working the Abyss they can set it up where you go down first and then he follows.  The person at the base of the slide radios back and forth to let the person up top know it's clear..so they can help hold him there and then you can be waiting at the bottom with the ring.  See if someone will take your phone and capture it all on video even.

Yes the back of the ship is accessible as the walkway goes around. Also a few chairs.

You can stand there and chat about the last port and where you both just visited.

Then segue into where you want your life to to go forward to. Sound of the wake is nice.

You can look both ways to see who is nearby.

I would say early evening is good.

Traditionally looking at the water is romantic.

Best of luck. 

Ok need some help on this since RCCL is not being very helpful. They said the escape room holds up to 10 people and it's $19.99 per person to book ($199.90 total). They stated that even if I booked all 10 slots for my group, there is no guarantee the room would just be ours. How would it not be if I book 10 and it holds 10? They want $530 to guarantee the room is ours which seems excessive since the max they would get for the room to begin with is $199 if all slots were booked. What am I missing?

4 minutes ago, AirMike said:

Ok need some help on this since RCCL is not being very helpful. They said the escape room holds up to 10 people and it's $19.99 per person to book ($199.90 total). They stated that even if I booked all 10 slots for my group, there is no guarantee the room would just be ours. How would it not be if I book 10 and it holds 10? They want $530 to guarantee the room is ours which seems excessive since the max they would get for the room to begin with is $199 if all slots were booked. What am I missing?

Either the rep does not know how to count, or it's another Royal scheme to get more money out of people.

Have a letter to the Captain with you when you get on board, telling him that you would like to propose to the love of your life on the helipad. Drop it off at the guest relations desk when you board.  You won’t hear from the captain, but hopefully he will have someone on his staff reply, and hopefully they can get a message to you that your boyfriend won’t see.  Don’t take “no” before you board as the final word if this sounds right to you.  

Years ago we were on our balcony, looking at the stars, and we put on my favorite song (low) and started dancing. It was one of the most romantic times of my life.  As many people have said, romance should be personal, and it could be simple or grand, to still be big. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...