Ketchikan Misty Fjords/Bear viewing

Genevivev

Hi there

We (3 ppl) are in Ketchikan on 9 Sept on a cruise. We would like to do a Seaplane in Misty Fjords with a landing to see bears.

I can only find two companies doing this:

- seawindaviation.com

- alaskaseaplanetours.com

If there are any other options, or anyone who's done this and has any recommendations would greatly appreciate.

My mum is a bit mobility impaired on uneven ground so can't really do any of the bear tours which require nature walking.

Thank you all.

I went with Michelle of Island Wings.  We landed on a lake in Misty Fjords and "happened" to see a bear.  I'm don't know how often they see a bear in this setting.

Also, everyone has to climb 3 or 4 steps into the plane.  It's pretty much like climbing up a ladder with narrow slats.  This would be another consideration.  The plane itself is pretty cozy and requires some stooping over to get to your assigned seat.

You may want to call the companies before deciding.

Enjoy Alaska!

Patti  

Download the visitor guide and look to pg 43 under Flightseeing for a list of vendors you can check with:

https://www.visit-ketchikan.com/About-Ketchikan/Free-Guide

As well as this list:

https://www.visit-ketchikan.com/Things-To-Do/Tours-Sightseeing/Misty-Fjords

Edited by mapleleaves
correct link

Traitors Cove through Island Wings. Michelle is an awesome host and extremely experienced pilot. All of the flight tour concessions are super busy right now so be patient waiting on an email reply  http://www.islandwings.com/anan-creek---traitors-cove-bear-viewing-tours.html

Edited by masterdrago

We booked through the ship, and the company was Taquan Air.  They are a large operator with numerous pilots, so you don't get to pick one like Michelle at Island Wings.  We had a great trip, and our pilot was fantastic.  Most of the trips are essentially the same.  Beautiful flightseeing for around 30 minutes, then the pilot will land in a cove, perhaps pulling up to a dock (or not).  You will have an opportunity to get out and stand on the pontoons of the boat (or the dock) for a few minutes to admire the peace and beauty of the area, then it's back up for the flight back with more great views.  I highly recommend this excursion, whoever you choose as your tour operator.

It has been several years, but we took a bear watching tour in early September via Island Wings to Traitors Cove.  We saw four bears (each with cubs close by) in the creek catching salmon, another bear and 2 cubs in the parking lot, and encountered a final bear approaching us on the trail to the viewing area.That was a bit unsettling, but our guide told us to stop in our tracks, stay quiet and not move. Fortunately that bear finally decided to hit the woods and detour around us.  

Edited by lynncarol

Thank you so much all for all of your helpful information. I have had responses from both companies and they said it was unlikely to view bears on their advertised Misty Fjords bear viewing tours in September, both recommended alternative trips i.e. Traitors Cove and Anan. Unfortunately both of these are out of our price range, the exchange rate from NZ is horrific at the moment and near doubles the cost of everything.  We have instead booked a land based tour and will be crossing our fingers and toes for bear viewing! We have booked through Aurora Tours as we were impressed by the reviews and that we would be touring with a local solo operator.