Classic versus Premium beverage package on the Summit

bestdogever

Hello!  What is your experience with the classic versus premium beverage package on Celebrity?  Is the extra cost for the premium package worth it or does the lower(I believe $8 limit) classic package cover most cocktails and non-alcoholic drinks?  We are not big drinkers, but do purchase the premium package on Princess as we enjoy coffee, sparkling water and like to try different cocktails while on vacation (maybe 1-3 a day, rarely 4). The cost to upgrade the package is $840 total, which also includes unlimited WiFi. Would love to hear your thoughts on this question and/or the Celebrity Summit.  Thanks!

All depends on what you drink, I usually upgrade if I find a sale.  I like the drinks at the world class bar and martini bar so its worth it for me.  The classic covers $9 and if you get a drink over that you just pay the difference plus grats..

Ex drink cost $10  you will be charged $1 plus 20% grat for a total of $1.20 on your account. 

But all basic drinks are covered in classic and the Café al Bacio is also included for there coffee and teas.  You can always upgrade when on board and it is prorated to how many days you have left. 

Regarding the difference in drink prices, should I assume that a bourbon and seven would be covered under the classic package, but a Makers and seven, or Woodford Reserve (basically, if I select a particular liquor) and seven, would cost more and it would be better to have the premium package?  Similarly, are martinis, Moscow mules, pina coladas, etc. covered under the classic package if you don’t request a particular brand of alcohol?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

I am at the martini bar every night so upgrade is worth it to me. I have at least 3 martinis in the evening after dinner and sometimes take a before dinner martini with me into the MDR.

Laura

And you're still standing???😉.  Two before dinner, wine with dinner, and none afterwards, and I've about had my fill...😁

To the OP, we upgrade for both the Martini Bar and for the wines- much better selection in the premium package by the glass for dinner...and better sparkling wine by the glass at the pool.

(Maybe we just discovered why I don't usually drink after dinner!!!😊)

Andrew

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, bestdogever said:

Regarding the difference in drink prices, should I assume that a bourbon and seven would be covered under the classic package, but a Makers and seven, or Woodford Reserve (basically, if I select a particular liquor) and seven, would cost more and it would be better to have the premium package?  Similarly, are martinis, Moscow mules, pina coladas, etc. covered under the classic package if you don’t request a particular brand of alcohol?

Yes.  Most call liquors are extra for Classic package, although I don't believe it's "well" liquor in classic package.  I think Bourbon is Jim Beam.  There's a menu somewhere on the website.... Some may sneer, but JB reminds me of my grandmother, so I do drink it at home 'on occasion," but I like Woodford on the ship in my Manhattans. Belvedere in my Martinis.

Standard sized drinks like Martinis are the same.  The ones at the Martini Bar are larger, in addition to being made with better choices of liquor.

Not sure about the Moscow Mules, Pina Coladas or Mai Tai's and the like.  Rarely drink them, but I imagine the same thing is true.

One note- you can't always get the same thing at every bar- frozen drinks, for instance never seen them at the Martini Bar.  And different bars have different selections of liquors.

Andrew

I think you are confused about the upgrade.  You are probably looking at the price to get all four perks.  You can upgrade for $10/day pp plus the % of the gratuity based on the $10   and you both don’t need to do it.   

You can do it any time during the cruise and it is prorated for the remaining days.  The minimum may be 3 days left in the cruise after that is isn’t available.

One can upgrade and many do that as they may not always have a premium drink at the same time.   Figure it out. 

The other option is just paying the difference between the max and the price of the premium drink plus the extra gratuity.   If you don’t drink a lot that may work best for you. 

Try the Classic and if it doesn’t suit you then upgrade on board and upgrade with a BT or server that you like as they will get the tip portion and they may do a little extra during the cruise, nothing illegal but a little more accommodation or recommendations.    Don’t sign up with the hawks during the first day as you will never see them again and they get rewarded for interrupting you.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

On 8/16/2019 at 9:58 AM, bikerunner said:

But all basic drinks are covered in classic and the Café al Bacio is also included for there coffee and teas. 

I've been away from the Celebrity board for a while, but with one booking in place and in the process of making another, I've drifted back. While I was away, many things have changed and I'm now trying to catch up.

DW and I usually buy or have as a perk the Classic BP, which in the past has always included our coffees at Café al Bacio, just as @bikerunner has noted. However, based on the website's description of what is included for the various packages, it seems that "specialty coffees" are now only covered under the Premium package.

So, can we still get our lattes and cappuccinos with our Classic packages, or must we upgrade them?

Screen Shot 2019-08-17 at 2.24.04 PM.png

Left is classic.  They both say it in the flyer on the cruise planner.  The classic does not include some of the coffees made with alcohol I believe.  But I have not heard anything about that change.  But it does look like celebrity is trying new pricing strategies overall. 

6FCD45AA-113D-409F-B2F8-A21FBAB8E7BB.png

3 minutes ago, bikerunner said:

Left is classic.  They both say it in the flyer on the cruise planner.  The classic does not include some of the coffees made with alcohol I believe.  But I have not heard anything about that change.  But it does look like celebrity is trying new pricing strategies overall. 

Different pages on the website, different information. I guess things haven't changed that much during my absence! :classic_rolleyes:

You will find if you cruise enough that there is no consistency with X.   It will vary from ship to ship and Bar Manager to Bar Manager to also the server or BT. 

Best is to try the classic and see if it fits your needs.   

A BT told us that the best deal was the Classic.  He said that 90% of the drinks ordered are within the Classic Package and other than the Martini Bar and World Class Bar you will be served a drink using well spirits even though you have the premium pack unless you ask for a premium spirit

Most coffees in Cafe al Bacio were covered under the classic.   Even though we have the premium we just order a Americano.   When we come back from a port we will order a espresso over ice with Baileys, Kahlua, rum, vodka,  Creme de Cocoa, and  Grand Mariner.   Some of them may not be in the classic.   They go down smooth.  Almost like a Bushwhacker.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

F9186D21-0D05-49FD-AD37-93CF3908C2D0.jpeg

Edited by miched

Thanks to everyone for the information, and to Miched for the Bushwacker recipe - sounds yummy!  We have not yet made a decision on a fall 2020 cruise.  We are looking at the Summit to New England or a Princess New England followed by a road trip. Although we usually cruise with Princess I have been intrigued by Celebrity for a while and am trying to find out as much as I can to facilitate the decision.  Both lines have a martini bar so that’s good 😀👍