14 day Amsterdam Alaska cruise - Great Alaskan Explorer

DaveOKC

I don't think it makes a lot of difference. You won't be in the inside passage, so sea days have a sea view. 

We were on the Starboard side on Amsterdam, and I think we faced the dock/town more often than facing away. But that's always subject to change/whim/local conditions.

For the cruising, either side is fine, after all you will be coming back south in the same room! At Hubbard the ship will turn so each side gets a good view. I spent much of the time on the deck behind the Crows Nest (dr'spin was in the CN!) so I could walk from side to side.

It seems to me that boarding and shore-side in ports is more often on starboard. But several of the ports are in fjords/bays with land off the other side as well.

We were on the Lower Promenade, portside, midship. Steps from the biggest balcony on the ship! Watch you don't book too far aft to be under the galley. All the way aft would be OK, the dining room itself should not be loud overhead.

ETA: this is a fantastic cruise! we sailed it last August on the Zaandam, with nine of us total (family). We rented a large van in Anchorage (everyone had a window seat) and drove to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center!

Edited by crystalspin

We're on this itinerary right now and having a great time. In Ketchikan port side was to the dock. In Juneau starboard is. We're on the port side - last cabin on deck 6 (it's a handicapped one). We have a rather large balcony and have enough space in the cabin for the scooter, concentrator and all our "stuff". 

Karen

1 hour ago, luvteaching said:

We're on this itinerary right now and having a great time. In Ketchikan port side was to the dock. In Juneau starboard is. We're on the port side - last cabin on deck 6 (it's a handicapped one). We have a rather large balcony and have enough space in the cabin for the scooter, concentrator and all our "stuff". 

Karen

Any more information you can share about your trip will be appreciated. We get on when you get off!