UnLimited WIFI PKG Can I Hot Spot it?

JPL1966

Sailing on the Escape next month, I have the unlimited WIFI package.  Now I understand only one device can log on at a time.  But if I hotspot the originally connected device can multiple devices be connected? Because the account will ony show I device logged in?.. Thanks in advance.

Edited by JPL1966

I’ve purchased the social media package in the past and the option for tethering was grayed out on my iPhone.  I assume there is technology built in to NCL WiFi to prevent what I was trying to accomplish. 

Im not sure if the same rules apply to unlimited WiFi. Can you please report back though? I will have the unlimited plan in October and am hoping that with this plan the tethering option will work. 

In the past the option to tether was greyed out on my phone as well, with the unlimited package.

I suspect that it is one of those things that you can’t do, but there is probably a work around if you know what you are doing. Given the bandwidth, I don’t think it is really worth trying though. It’s slow enough even if just using one device.

Android and iOS phones use hotspot to share the cellular data and create a WiFi access points for your other devices. But in this case the phone is connecting to the ship's WiFi. You can't "hotspot" that connection.

You could do it with a laptop that has a WiFi card and driver that supports both client and AP mode simultaneously, and if you know how to bridge networks. 

• Like 2

As stated above, hotspotting is to share CELLULAR data, not WiFI data.  It has nothing to do with NCL "limiting" your ability to do so.  

Try it at home sometime.  Put your phone in Airplane mode (to turn off the cellular connection) and then enable your WiFi to connect to your home network.... then try to hotspot that.  No can do.  

• Like 1

With the high latency and limited, shared satellite bandwidth - as noted, even if you can - it will NOT be very usable, if at all except maybe for web browsing & checking email.  

Most iPhones are not jailbroken these days and basically not doable, same for stock Android roms - unless yours is BL unlocked, rooted & running a custom rom, which essentially do a bridging of the WiFi signal (without getting all technical) - most Android devices cannot do it.  

I have laptops & notebook PC that can do it with the specific modem capable of supporting WiFi functions, built-in bridging - results are good with a fast signal but not very usable over typical "basic" hotel WiFi connection speed (similar to ship's satellite WiFi).  There are a small # of nano travel routers that can do it ... but not for the average user to do this.  That is, assuming the Cisco hardware/server doesn't sense & "detect" efforts to re-cast their signal and block this type of "workaround".  

Feel free to try it, just don't count on it, at your convenience.  

Edited by mking8288

@FreestyleNovice IMO, it probably won't work unless you can access that with a web browser and run it in "bridge mode" - to click & cycle thru settings and the sign-on screen.  I looked at the "specs" and did not see support for using it as bridge.  

Some of the TP-Link travel router (i.e. N300) supports multiple modes, including bridge mode over a wireless signal source, and re-broadcast it (prefer to use a differetn SSiD with WPA-2) 

Edimax Br-6258n is a matchbook sized nano travel router that's USB powered and works over an Ethernet or wireless connection (model has been discontinued, using this for a few years) - use with hotel WiFi networks, as hard-wired Ethernet are hard to find these days.  It works better than an older TP-Link N70x travel router.  It's difficult to configure these on a tablet, iPad or smartphone/iPhone alone, with a browser & mouse/keyboard to optimize the settings.  

IMG_20190817_150037[1].jpg

• Like 1

If you can connect a PC to onboard WiFi and, as previously mentioned, you have a capable WiFi adapter, you can use a utility called “connectify” (google it) to create your own “hotspot”.  Requires some patience and knowledge of networking.  As also stated by others, the already slow connection will be even worse so don’t expect much.