Sailing from Southampton

Jeffrey1950

6 hours ago, Jeffrey1950 said:

I am wondering how many of you fly into Heathrow from Newark the Same day of sailing. Is it better to book a car hire svc. or use the transfer svc. from the Airport to the Southampton.

I would certainly recommend you use the Cunard transfer. I have flown into JFK the same day of sailing several times but only with Cunard transfers which were bundled with the Cunard arranged flights. To do otherwise I consider it too risky. I recall a few years back our BA flight from LHR was delay for just over 5 hours but the ship waited for us. There were about 40 other passengers on the same flight together with 2 musicians and a guest speaker. Needless to say we were grateful.

20 minutes ago, North West Newbie said:

I would certainly recommend you use the Cunard transfer. I have flown into JFK the same day of sailing several times but only with Cunard transfers which were bundled with the Cunard arranged flights. To do otherwise I consider it too risky. I recall a few years back our BA flight from LHR was delay for just over 5 hours but the ship waited for us. There were about 40 other passengers on the same flight together with 2 musicians and a guest speaker. Needless to say we were grateful.

And it is not unknown for there to be major holdups on the M3...If the transfer is embroiled in one, the ship should wait. It really saves a lot of anxiety. 

I know when I was on board the Queen Mary 2 in June and waiting to leave New York we had to wait over two hours for a flight from Manchester. So if I fly over, then get the Transfer please tell me how does that work. Obviously I have to get my luggage and then clear Customs do you have a set time to board the bus or do they just keep running thru out the day and how long is the trip to Southampton? My concern is also that I get wheel chair assistance I am used to the procedure in New York but do not know how it goes in the UK. Thank you so much for any information you can give.

Edited by Jeffrey1950

54 minutes ago, Jeffrey1950 said:

I know when I was on board the Queen Mary 2 in June and waiting to leave New York we had to wait over two hours for a flight from Manchester. So if I fly over, then get the Transfer please tell me how does that work. Obviously I have to get my luggage and then clear Customs do you have a set time to board the bus or do they just keep running thru out the day and how long is the trip to Southampton? My concern is also that I get wheel chair assistance I am used to the procedure in New York but do not know how it goes in the UK. Thank you so much for any information you can give.

I can only speak of the service at JFK but if it is the same at LHR you ought to be on the transfer bus manifest and they will actively look out for you. In my experience, transfer buses are coordinated to meet the inbound flights that have passengers to pick up. I imagine they would only depart without a passenger after exhausting all reasonable attempts to locate them. In your case, I strongly advise that you arrange your assistance via Cunard and let them know your needs. Hopefully this will be communicated through to the agent controlling the transfers and make them aware of your personal circumstances.

Coming from airline land... It will be a very similar procedure on arrival in London as it is in New York. Just let the wheelchair assistance person know you are with Cunard, and they will assist with the collection of your luggage, and take you out to the arrivals area, then take you to where you want to be, so that will be with the Cunard representative meeting guests in the arrivals area. They can then coordinate getting you to, and onto your transfer coach. Just double check with the crew on your flight to make sure that your assistance is booked in Heathrow, as although it is booked one end, it is not unheard of that it is not booked the other end. If it is not listed, they can message ahead to London to get it arranged for your arrival. 

I hope you have a wonderful trip.