Ala Carte Restaurants

sus809

1 hour ago, sus809 said:

We're sailing on the Nieuw Statendam on Sept. 15th.

Thank you very much.

We were not pleased with the sushi bar on the Nieuw Statendam.  We were told we needed to order all our food at once and that they would pace our meal.  We received all our food within 15 minutes and it was very rushed.  On top of this the wine steward was very slow and our wine didn’t arrive until we were almost done eating.  We loved the tamarind, but would not go back to the Sushi bar.  

31 minutes ago, swin26 said:

On top of this the wine steward was very slow and our wine didn’t arrive until we were almost done eating.  We loved the tamarind, but would not go back to the Sushi bar.  

We have noticed this happening many times in both the MDR and Specialty Restaurants at tables close to us. 

We have our way of avoiding this.  When we sit down and the waiter approaches our table, we immediately inform him that we are not in a hurry and that we will be having wine (sometimes ours or sometimes theirs, does not matter) and that we will not order any food until our first glass of wine has been poured.  The wine attendant shows up at our table within 2-3 minutes after that... and they are both trained for the rest of the cruise 😉

• Like 2

2 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

We have noticed this happening many times in both the MDR and Specialty Restaurants at tables close to us. 

We have our way of avoiding this.  When we sit down and the waiter approaches our table, we immediately inform him that we are not in a hurry and that we will be having wine (sometimes ours or sometimes theirs, does not matter) and that we will not order any food until our first glass of wine has been poured.  The wine attendant shows up at our table within 2-3 minutes after that... and they are both trained for the rest of the cruise 😉

That's exactly the reason we always choose fixed, late seating dining, not anytime.   When we walk into the MDR, my ice tea is already there, our favorite rolls and butter, and DW's favorite glass of wine is on the table.  The waiter knows not to ask for our order until we're ready for the 2nd glass of wine.   So much better than anytime, IMHO.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sus809 said:

My husband and I are 4 star mariners.  We know we're entitled to 50% on price fixed specialty restaurants.  Are we entitled to 50% off ala carte restaurants?

Thank you.

I most recently dined at the "pop-up" Sel de Mer at the PG on the Westerdam.  I expected ala carte pricing as I had experienced on Nieuw Statendam.  No ala carte pricing, one fixed charge and the Mariner discount did apply to that.  I ordered precisely what I had done on Nieuw Statendam:  Escargots, Dover Sole, and Baked Alaska.  EXCELLENT!  Just as EXCELLENT as it had been on Nieuw Statendam.